+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My spouse left Canada AFTER her visa expired. How can she get back in?

Sebastien1

Feb 3, 2011
Good day,

Allow me to explain the situation: My spouse (then girlfriend at the time) came to Canada (from the United States, she is an American citizen) on October 30th, 2009. The IO granted her a 3-month VISA, because he was apparently suspicious of her intentions (I believe it had to do with discrimination, but that is another story). She was supposed to leave by January 5th, 2010. Anyways, it was our intention to get married and we did so on January 4th, 2010; one day before she was supposed to leave. She ended up staying in Canada until November 12th, 2010 until she had to go back to the United States to settle some personal business. She left on her own accord, and was never contacted by CIC or anything. What we are curious about is how we go about getting her back into the country now. Are there any exceptions that we could take advantage of, or any particular course of action we could go about that would ensure that she is able to re-enter Canada in the smallest amount of time possible? On February 12th, 2011 it will have been exactly 3 months since she left Canada. I've heard that a person would just need to wait 6 months before re-entering Canada without any hassle, but I have no idea if this would even apply to her at all.

Thank you for your time and consideration, it is greatly appreciated.

-Sebastien