+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My spouse is living in Canada. Can I enter as a visitor and apply for inland PR?

Vorticity

Jan 18, 2015
Hi, I'm an American and my spouse is a dual CDN/US citizen. If my spouse is living in Canada, can I enter Canada as a visitor and then apply for inland PR? I understand I can enter as a visitor due to the COVID-19 immediate family exemptions, but would I run into issues at the border if my intent is to enter as a visitor and then apply for inland PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I'm an American and my spouse is a dual CDN/US citizen. If my spouse is living in Canada, can I enter Canada as a visitor and then apply for inland PR? I understand I can enter as a visitor due to the COVID-19 immediate family exemptions, but would I run into issues at the border if my intent is to enter as a visitor and then apply for inland PR?
Yes, you can.

Just stick to you are coming to visit, even if a lengthy one, you'll stay for the period visa allows (which can be extended). Don't show up with all your worldly possessions, you can run into issues if you are clearly planning to stay forever.

Pay careful attention to self-isolation requirements at present.

Vorticity

Jan 18, 2015
Yes, you can.

Just stick to you are coming to visit, even if a lengthy one, you'll stay for the period visa allows (which can be extended). Don't show up with all your worldly possessions, you can run into issues if you are clearly planning to stay forever.

Pay careful attention to self-isolation requirements at present.
Thanks for the response!

So, if I do show up at the border and state my purpose of travel is to enter as a visitor and apply as an inland PR in the future, will I be turned away? It just feels like entering as a "visitor" when the true intention is to apply for PR whilst living in Canada could be seen as being dishonest.

Or would my situation be covered under the protection of dual intent as listed here? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response!

So, if I do show up at the border and state my purpose of travel is to enter as a visitor and apply as an inland PR in the future, will I be turned away? It just feels like entering as a "visitor" when the true intention is to apply for PR whilst living in Canada could be seen as being dishonest.

Or would my situation be covered under the protection of dual intent as listed here? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/dual-intent-applicants.html

Thanks!
Yes you can enter but can’t arrive with all your belongings. You must appear as a visitor. Would warn you that it is taking 5+ months to get an OWP. You also may not have health coverage depending on where you are moving.