+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

my pr card expiring while waiting for oath date

india2canada2

Sep 24, 2019
Hello,

Just wondering what happens when my PR card expires while waiting for oath date. It has been frustrating experience as most of you had experienced. I had to postpone the date due to family member serious illiness. The my spouse and I took the exam in March 2019. Then comes the fun. One document request after another and thousands of dollars spent nothing happened so far. First they said show me your travel details (they could have asked that before the interview which they did not); then comes three months later your partner's fingerprints expired do it again (which they could have asked when they asked for travel details) then comes more document request. It has been three months since we submitted all the documents. Now the PR card is expiring in December. I look at the oath schedule it is full through oct 22nd in mississauga. What should I do? The whole process has taken more than a year.

Shey.

Jul 17, 2019
You don't need a valid PR card if you are not planning to travel between now and your Oath date. Just let it expire and don't worry about it.

india2canada2

Sep 24, 2019
Thanks for your response. I live overseas taking care of an ailing sibling for now. I have Indian passport and green card.

Shey.

Jul 17, 2019
So in order for you to enter Canada you must have PR card or Permanent Resident Travel Document.

Fido911

Sep 22, 2019
Mississauga, Ontario
LANDED..........
16-08-2012
I think you can still enter Canada using your green card, so you don't have much to worry about.

From cic.gc.ca

As a U.S. Green Card holder, you do not need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. However, you are expected to have an eTA if you plan to fly to or transit through Canada.

When flying to Canada, you will need to present:

• proof of status in the U.S. (such as a valid Green Card), and
  • your valid passport that you used to apply for your eTA.
The border services officer will verify your eTA when you arrive in Canada.

When travelling by land or sea directly from the U.S., you will only need to provide proof of your U.S. lawful permanent resident status (such as your Green Card).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I think you can still enter Canada using your green card, so you don't have much to worry about.

From cic.gc.ca

As a U.S. Green Card holder, you do not need a visitor visa to travel to Canada. However, you are expected to have an eTA if you plan to fly to or transit through Canada.

When flying to Canada, you will need to present:

• proof of status in the U.S. (such as a valid Green Card), and
  • your valid passport that you used to apply for your eTA.
The border services officer will verify your eTA when you arrive in Canada.

When travelling by land or sea directly from the U.S., you will only need to provide proof of your U.S. lawful permanent resident status (such as your Green Card).
This is irrelevant to a Permanent Resident. As a PR, you can't apply for an eTA or a visa.
You must have a valid PR card, a PRTD or cross a land border.

Fido911

Sep 22, 2019
Mississauga, Ontario
LANDED..........
16-08-2012
This is irrelevant to a Permanent Resident. As a PR, you can't apply for an eTA or a visa.
You must have a valid PR card, a PRTD or cross a land border.
What's irrelevant? It's like having a visa exempt passport... you are entitled to cross the border by virtue of having a green card.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What's irrelevant? It's like having a visa exempt passport... you are entitled to cross the border by virtue of having a green card.
Yes, it is visa-exempt. However, it is NOT eTA-exempt. As soon as the person applies for an eTA, the system will refuse it because they are a PR.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
They are entitled to CROSS the border by virtue of being a Permanent Resident. It's getting TO the border that's the issue here.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The issue is if he can cross the border not his status, he can enter Canada as a visitor. Crossing by land does not require ETA
Any PR who presents themselves to a land POE will be given entry. Entry will be as a PR, not a visitor. This entry has nothing to do with a green card.

Fido911

Sep 22, 2019
Mississauga, Ontario
LANDED..........
16-08-2012
Any PR who presents themselves to a land POE will be given entry. Entry will be as a PR, not a visitor. This entry has nothing to do with a green card.
The issue is he may not have a valid PR Card when he crosses the border, and my MAIN point is he can still ENTER Canada using his green card, get it?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
The issue is he may not have a valid PR Card when he crosses the border, and my MAIN point is he can still ENTER Canada using his green card, get it?
Not relevant still. He does NOT need any more identification than is required to identify him as a PR. A driver's licence and passport is probably sufficient. He does NOT need a valid PR card, visa, eTA, or Green Card to cross the land border. It's a PR's right to enter.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf
Section 11.3

Fido911

Sep 22, 2019
Mississauga, Ontario
LANDED..........
16-08-2012
Not relevant still. He does NOT need any more identification than is required to identify him as a PR. A driver's licence and passport is probably sufficient. He does NOT need a valid PR card, visa, eTA, or Green Card to cross the land border. It's a PR's right to enter.

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf
Section 11.3
It's relevant, to be able to go to the land border (from US side), he must have a valid green card. So without his green card, how can he even go to the border to cross the land border. Can he do it without these? As you said, the issue is getting TO the border.

Last edited: