+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My PC Was On *Wrong* Timezone During Citizenship Test

Flourpower

May 19, 2022
Hi Forum Members,

I received the invitation to take the test in December when I was living abroad. I contacted the office requesting to do the test while abroad and they sent me instructions saying it was okay to go ahead. Now here is the issue:

I decided to return to Canada to do the test and continue for the rest of the process so:

1) I sent a WEBFORM to update my address to a Canadian address after I arrived back.

2) About three days later, I took the test and passed.

3) *I forgot to change my computer's time zone*, so my preliminary test results showed me in
the timezone as GMT+2 instead of Mountain Time Zone, GMT -7.

I don't know if I am overthinking this, but I am concerned that this could complicate matters. What should I do in this circumstance? Test has already been updated as completed but I am worried if this could cause confusion for the officer who is processing my application and cause it to be delayed or more than that. Can anyone experienced make a recommendation? Thanks

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
Hi Forum Members,

I received the invitation to take the test in December when I was living abroad. I contacted the office requesting to do the test while abroad and they sent me instructions saying it was okay to go ahead. Now here is the issue:

I decided to return to Canada to do the test and continue for the rest of the process so:

1) I sent a WEBFORM to update my address to a Canadian address after I arrived back.

3) *I forgot to change my computer's time zone*, so my preliminary test results showed me in

I don't know if I am overthinking this, but I am concerned that this could complicate matters. What should I do in this circumstance? Test has already been updated as completed but I am worried if this could cause confusion for the officer who is processing my application and cause it to be delayed or more than that. Can anyone experienced make a recommendation? Thanks
Key point is test already updated as completed. No need to worry. Pretty sure the only thing they are looking for is if the ip address is in Canada and if you are cheating.

Reactions: Flourpower

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hi Forum Members,

You may want to email the test office to let them know that you actually took the test inside Canada and that you’re back in Canada (attach proof of travel). Updating your address is a separate issue.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
You may want to email the test office to let them know that you actually took the test inside Canada and that you’re back in Canada (attach proof of travel). Updating your address is a separate issue.
Their test was already marked as complete. Don't over complicate your application. And also they advise against sending any documents without them requesting it

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Their test was already marked as complete. Don't over complicate your application. And also they advise against sending any documents without them requesting it
Since the OP advised their local office that they're taking the test outside of Canada, this fact gets noted on their file and in many cases results in a delay or request for proof of return to Canada.

Since OP didn't actually take the test outside of Canada and is back in Canada, they could avoid this situation by letting their office know.

Their original question regarding timezone is irrelevant, I agree. I'm making a separate point.

Flourpower

May 19, 2022
Since the OP advised their local office that they're taking the test outside of Canada, this fact gets noted on their file and in many cases results in a delay or request for proof of return to Canada.

Since OP didn't actually take the test outside of Canada and is back in Canada, they could avoid this situation by letting their office know.

Their original question regarding timezone is irrelevant, I agree. I'm making a separate point.

Thanks Johnjkjk, you are right to some extent in your advice because I received a request letter asking for my passport and boarding pass/itinerary. Hopefully this doesn't delay my application overmuch. Cheers!