+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My name in Quebec

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
Hi members. I'm PR since 2014 so this may be a bit off topic, I am hoping someone has experience.

My husband and I got married outside Canada in 2011, I applied for PR when we moved to Canada in 2012, landed in 2014. I have been using my husband's last name since 2011, my PR application and PR card, SIN, drivers license, bank account, credit card, title of our house, tax filing, my professional license from the US and Canada, and passport from my original country, everything is with my married name.

If we move to Quebec, do I have to use my maiden name in Quebec? My husband said I should be able to keep using his name because I have been using more than 5 years, but I cannot find anything saying it.

Thanks!

Phoenixation

Star Member
Sep 21, 2017
Hi members. I'm PR since 2014 so this may be a bit off topic, I am hoping someone has experience.

My husband and I got married outside Canada in 2011, I applied for PR when we moved to Canada in 2012, landed in 2014. I have been using my husband's last name since 2011, my PR application and PR card, SIN, drivers license, bank account, credit card, title of our house, tax filing, my professional license from the US and Canada, and passport from my original country, everything is with my married name.

If we move to Quebec, do I have to use my maiden name in Quebec? My husband said I should be able to keep using his name because I have been using more than 5 years, but I cannot find anything saying it.

Thanks!
why would you want to use your maiden name? I don't completely get what your question is..
You have been using your current legal name (with your husband's family name) all around the world and the rest of Canada, why wouldn't you be able to use it in Quebec as well? In fact, all your IDs are with your current legal name and will remain so (be it in QC or elsewhere) unless you decide to legally change your name (to your maiden name or anyother name).

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Thanks!
http://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/change-name.html

Important

Under the Civil Code of Québec, both spouses retain their respective names in marriage and exercise civil rights under those names. Consequently, if a married woman wants to adopt her spouse's surname, the Directeur de l'état civil will authorize that change of name only in an exceptional situation.

However, I don't think that applies if you are already married and your "married name" is already in common use when you enter Québec.. Or, at the least, there is a workaround.

Below are some examples of reasons for applying for a change of name:

• The use, for five years or more, of a surname or given name not entered on the act of birth

Last edited:

bobocan

Mar 11, 2016
>Phoenixation, not by my choice. I have seen somewhere that in Quebec using married name is not allowed. Like someone's health card was issued under her maiden name even her name was legally changed to her husband's name.

>zardoz, thanks! That's the 5 year rule we have been looking for.