+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Landing Experience

Oct 16, 2008
Hi All,

We went to canada from US to complete our landing formalities. We landed in Vancouver. The immigration process went on smoothly , took abt 15-30 mins. After getting down from the flight, we were directed towards a queue for new immigrants.. There were no one in the line. We gave our CPR forms and passport to the security, she checked everything and gave us a book Welcoming us to canada, then we were directed to the immigration officer. The immigration officer asked us few q's like,

1. Are u going back to US?
2. have u ever been married to anyone before or divorced ?
3. Have u ever been convicted of crime?
4.Have u ever been denied visa for any country?
5. how many days are u plannin to stay in canada
6. how much money do u have with u now?
7. where do u intend ur PR card to be sent to?
We gave our friends address, the immigration officer asked us whose address was it. we told cousins.
8. When are u plannin to come back to canada? He was repeatedly asking this q
We told him, after we wind up things in the US in abt 6 months time.

Thats it, he noted everything and welcomed us to canada..

Thnx everyone for all ur support . if any one has any queries, ur welcome... i am ready to help out.

Thanks,
Anusha..

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
anusha.shankar said:
Hi All,

We went to canada from US to complete our landing formalities. We landed in Vancouver. The immigration process went on smoothly , took abt 15-30 mins. After getting down from the flight, we were directed towards a queue for new immigrants.. There were no one in the line. We gave our CPR forms and passport to the security, she checked everything and gave us a book Welcoming us to canada, then we were directed to the immigration officer. The immigration officer asked us few q's like,

2. have u ever been married to anyone before or divorced ?
3. Have u ever been convicted of crime?
4.Have u ever been denied visa for any country?
5. how many days are u plannin to stay in canada
We gave our friends address, the immigration officer asked us whose address was it. we told cousins.
8. When are u plannin to come back to canada? He was repeatedly asking this q
We told him, after we wind up things in the US in abt 6 months time.

Thats it, he noted everything and welcomed us to canada..

Thnx everyone for all ur support . if any one has any queries, ur welcome... i am ready to help out.

Thanks,
Anusha..
Congratulations, I have one question - How long the entire process took to complete. end to end?

Thanks,

tito

Feb 10, 2007
vic48912 said:
Congratulation Anusha...well done.

One quick question, did the immigration officers physically count the money you landed with or they just took your word for it.

Vic
Vic, I doubt it. Mine was not counted, nobody wants to go through the pain of counting. Except if there are serious issues/doubts about an immigrant.

Oct 16, 2008
@VIC.
Are u asking abt the entire process of appyling for the PR? It took about almost 2 years
The landing process took atmost 30 mins..
The immigration officer did not count the money

maymb

Nov 26, 2008
Anusha,
Congratualtions and thank you for sharing your experience. Did you give them any "goods to follow" list? If ye did they stamp it?

Oct 16, 2008
We had our goods to follow list ready along with the photographs of our jewels. We gave him the goods to follow list. He said, since ur not migrating to canada now, u can give it while ur actually moving to canada . He gave a form and fone nums and asked us to call the custom office before shipping the goods. so we dint give him and took it back.Hope this answers ur question

maymb

Nov 26, 2008
Thank you Anusha for replying to my question. I got my answer perfectly.

Have a nice landing and good life in Canada.

msabarish

Jan 20, 2009
Hi Anusha

Thank you for the great information on the landing experience. I have a few follow-up questions from your post:

I'm planning to take a long weekend off, fly/drive to Canada on a Friday and return back Tuesday. Would the immigration officer object if I say I'm returning back after the weekend?

Is there a minimum amount that we should carry in person apart from our bank statements from a US bank?

I know that the PR card would be sent by mail, would it be sent by registered mail? In that case, are we required to collect this mail in person or can the relative collect it?

For the personal items to bring into Canada, is there a form that we need to carry in person when entering canada? is there a website where I could find this form?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Sabs.

Oct 16, 2008
@Sabs,

1. The immigration officer will not object your stay . we stayed in vancouver for 5 days, had a good sight seeing and then returned to US. It should not be a problem.
2.There is no minimum money that should be carried. We had some US dollars with us to use for sight seeing and stay. Ur bank statements is sufficient for proof of funds.
3. i am not sure if it wld be sent via registered mail. But your relative can collect it. You dont have to be in person.
4.There is no form that is required for carrying ur personal goods. But you can prepare the goods to follow list and have it ready. Though the officer will not ask you about this, but i read in this forum, people who returned back to US did submit the goods to follow list. I guess it depends on the immigration officer.

Thanks,
Anusha.

john5655

Jan 25, 2009
you can check out the requirements for arrival and "goods to follow" etc from the CBSA website

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html

zahir

Star Member
Jan 16, 2009
Karachi
Visa Office......
CHC islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3rd may 2008
Doc's Request.
3rd april 2009
AOR Received.
no
Med's Request
no
Since you are a fresh case , you can be very helpfull to all of us if u share your experience about the whole process, starting from submitting the form, correspondance with cic, ielts, required document, and interview etc.