+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My IELTS Speaking test turned into an interrogation

thog89

Star Member
May 27, 2018
Hi all, I'm just sharing my experience.
My IDP IELTS LRW was on 8th Sept and speaking was on 13th Sept. LRW went fine.

The speaking examiner didn't like the answers I gave and was pushing me for the answers she wanted. I gave negative answers for most questions and she didn't like it (I could see that from her facial expressions)

Some of the questions were:
  • Should children help parents at home ? I said not necessarily needed and gave my reasons
  • Making friends at workplace ? I said not required, if you are good at your job and explained
  • Qualities for team work ? I said open minded, respectful, supportive etc (in proper sentences). She kept asking "what is the basic quality ?"...."basic quality ?"...."basic quality ?". How would I know that ? This is not an interview to test my knowledge.
This made me stop, take pauses and say long uuughs :mad:

She was asking more questions on why ? why ? why ? so that I would turn my answers.

I felt like she was trying to break me for not giving the answers she wanted (don't know if she was trying to help me if negative answers were not accepted)

Lesson learned : Don't give your views but give the common answers

When the test finished, I was glad she didn't put me through waterboarding to get the answers she wanted. Also short haired women over 50 with glasses scare me :eek:. Apparently lot of speaking examiners looks like that.

NB: This was my second IELTS test. First one was in Aug 2018 with British Council. L8.5/R8.5/W.7.5/S7
EOR result for speaking is pending on this test :). I need CLB 10 for Express Entry CRS 441, now at 438

I believe I did better in speaking for the 2nd test (the one explained above). Will update when I get the results.

sangpll2009

Star Member
Jun 16, 2018
As far as I have heard, the examiners don't really look for your opinions or views on different topics, they listen to you to hear and assess your language. Could it be possible that she was repeatedly asking you questions to make you speak more and thereby assess your speaking?

thog89

Star Member
May 27, 2018
As far as I have heard, the examiners don't really look for your opinions or views on different topics, they listen to you to hear and assess your language. Could it be possible that she was repeatedly asking you questions to make you speak more and thereby assess your speaking?
Could be. But the extra questions had a "why would you say that" kind of feel. May be with my answers she couldn't ask the follow up questions she had already with her.

What I am saying is if we give common answers, everything will go according to their script and there won't be any unexpected questions. Don't let them make up questions that we may not be able anwser smoothly.