My full timeline

tintinto

Jul 7, 2013
Kitchener Office.

1 - Received June 1st 2012.
2- Processing December 28th 2012.
3- Test October 28th 2013.
4- Oath February 18th 2014.

Background: Came to Canada in 2001 as a student. Post-graduation work permit. Applied for PR through Canadian Experience Class. Became a PR in January 2010. I travel a few times a year to see my family, work events, holidays but I have been living in Canada continuously for almost 13 years.

A few notes from my experience:

- I wasn't well prepared for the interview after the test. I applied with only 1097 days of physical presence. The officer did not ask me any questions or say much, he simply spent 5-10 minutes going through my passport page by page, stamp by stamp. There was a stamp missing from a day trip to the U.S. in 2008 which I had not noticed and had not recorded in my application since it was less than a day. It took me a few minutes to remember what this trip was and I explained to the officer but he didn't seem convinced. I had my CBSA record with me just in case and I showed it to him, it was also missing the record of that trip. It seemed like I was in big trouble and I asked the officer if there is anything I can provide at a later time to account for this trip. He said he will check if the procedures would allow and he would call me if needed. The next day he called me and said that he has been looking through my CBSA report and that something "doesn't jive" with my dates (to my horror). He wanted me to go in again and sign a release to allow him to request the CBSA record again himself (I guess he thought I might have multiple travel documents or something). I went in an hour later and signed the release. He mentioned that he found 2 instances where my CBSA record says that I arrived after midnight and that I had counted those 2 dates in my application( thats because the border officers who stamped my passport on those two dates hadn't rolled their stamp over and the stamp didn't match the computer record ??? ). Anyways, he said he will request another copy of the CBSA record and that if I don't hear anything in 3 months then thats good news. Just over 3 months later I got the notice for the oath even though I was convinced that I was getting an RQ. Moral of the story: apply with more than 2 days buffer, at least a week, make sure you record every trip even if its less than a day, make sure your dates are 100% correct and match your CBSA record, err on the side of safety, and make sure you bring enough documentation to your test and that you are sure of what is listed in the documentation.

- After the oath I asked the officer when I could apply for a passport, she said she will put the information in the system the same day and that I should check with the passport office the next day. I went into the passport office the day after my oath, sure enough my name was there in the system and I was able to apply for an urgent passport which I now have in my hands 2 days after my oath :).

bigdee008

Aug 16, 2014
This is my exact story only that Im still waiting for an oath invite. I missed my calculation by 1 day - I applied with 1096 days and the officer told me im on the exact mark of 1095. He said he would request CBSA records and if i don't hear from them in about 2 months then all should be good. its going to be 4 month on November 25 since i took the test on july 25 and I still haven't heard back.

How long after your test did you hear back, ( Closer to Four months or a little over 3 months) and was your Ecas updated before you got the mail?

Thanks alot in advance. :( :( :(

catchvb

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I applied for Citizenship application in June-2014. I did not remember that I the application form says Do NOT contact CBSA for entry report.

I had to apply for PR card renewal in end of October, so I asked my entry report from CBSA to renew my PR card and sent copy of report with my PR card renewal application. I applied to get report by FREE (under privacy act) and also by paying $5. I thought adding CBSA report will make PR card renewal faster. I completely forgot that citizenship application says "Do NOT contact CBSA for entry report."

My citizenship application has 1128 days out of 1460 days in Canada. Except 1 day all of my entries are correct. But US does not stamp passport every time. I know I have made a mistake by requesting CBSA report . Will my CITIZENSHIP application will be impacted due to this? If yes please let me know how.

Thanks

tintinto said:
Kitchener Office.

1 - Received June 1st 2012.
2- Processing December 28th 2012.
3- Test October 28th 2013.
4- Oath February 18th 2014.

Background: Came to Canada in 2001 as a student. Post-graduation work permit. Applied for PR through Canadian Experience Class. Became a PR in January 2010. I travel a few times a year to see my family, work events, holidays but I have been living in Canada continuously for almost 13 years.

A few notes from my experience:

- I wasn't well prepared for the interview after the test. I applied with only 1097 days of physical presence. The officer did not ask me any questions or say much, he simply spent 5-10 minutes going through my passport page by page, stamp by stamp. There was a stamp missing from a day trip to the U.S. in 2008 which I had not noticed and had not recorded in my application since it was less than a day. It took me a few minutes to remember what this trip was and I explained to the officer but he didn't seem convinced. I had my CBSA record with me just in case and I showed it to him, it was also missing the record of that trip. It seemed like I was in big trouble and I asked the officer if there is anything I can provide at a later time to account for this trip. He said he will check if the procedures would allow and he would call me if needed. The next day he called me and said that he has been looking through my CBSA report and that something "doesn't jive" with my dates (to my horror). He wanted me to go in again and sign a release to allow him to request the CBSA record again himself (I guess he thought I might have multiple travel documents or something). I went in an hour later and signed the release. He mentioned that he found 2 instances where my CBSA record says that I arrived after midnight and that I had counted those 2 dates in my application( thats because the border officers who stamped my passport on those two dates hadn't rolled their stamp over and the stamp didn't match the computer record ??? ). Anyways, he said he will request another copy of the CBSA record and that if I don't hear anything in 3 months then thats good news. Just over 3 months later I got the notice for the oath even though I was convinced that I was getting an RQ. Moral of the story: apply with more than 2 days buffer, at least a week, make sure you record every trip even if its less than a day, make sure your dates are 100% correct and match your CBSA record, err on the side of safety, and make sure you bring enough documentation to your test and that you are sure of what is listed in the documentation.

- After the oath I asked the officer when I could apply for a passport, she said she will put the information in the system the same day and that I should check with the passport office the next day. I went into the passport office the day after my oath, sure enough my name was there in the system and I was able to apply for an urgent passport which I now have in my hands 2 days after my oath :).

OttawaBuddy

Star Member
Oct 24, 2014
bigdee008 said:
This is my exact story only that Im still waiting for an oath invite. I missed my calculation by 1 day - I applied with 1096 days and the officer told me im on the exact mark of 1095. He said he would request CBSA records and if i don't hear from them in about 2 months then all should be good. its going to be 4 month on November 25 since i took the test on july 25 and I still haven't heard back.

How long after your test did you hear back, ( Closer to Four months or a little over 3 months) and was your Ecas updated before you got the mail?

Thanks alot in advance. :( :( :(
Order CBSA yourself and send it via registered or Xpress post to exact CIC location. Otherwise you can wait, wait and wait.
CIC is 'very fast' institution. :D

bigdee008

Aug 16, 2014
UPDATE :D

KITCHENER LOCAL OFFICE

Application Recieved on October 25, 2013.

Letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 25, 2013.

We started processing your application on December 27, 2013.

We sent you a notice on June 19, 2014 to appear and write the citizenship test on July 25, 2014 at 8:30 AM.

July 25, 2014 - Test Score 20/20 - Interview took about 20 Mins - Concern was raised about my passport not being stamped for 2 of my trips and said he would request CBSA report.

December 9, 2014 - Phone call from CIC officer, apologizing for the delay in my application, he assured me that all is well with my application and that they were clearing a backlog which was now completed. He said I should get the oath invite soon. ( So even if i had sent the CBSA report, they wont have touched my file until dec 9.)

Dec 19, 2014. I received the Oath Invite scheduled for January 13, 2015.

Moral of my story = Go to the test with a copy of the CBSA Report.. Very Crucial!!!! I would have saved myself some 6 months of waiting.

Good Luck!

bigdee008

Aug 16, 2014
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

catchvb said:
I applied for Citizenship application in June-2014. I did not remember that I the application form says Do NOT contact CBSA for entry report.

I had to apply for PR card renewal in end of October, so I asked my entry report from CBSA to renew my PR card and sent copy of report with my PR card renewal application. I applied to get report by FREE (under privacy act) and also by paying $5. I thought adding CBSA report will make PR card renewal faster. I completely forgot that citizenship application says "Do NOT contact CBSA for entry report."

My citizenship application has 1128 days out of 1460 days in Canada. Except 1 day all of my entries are correct. But US does not stamp passport every time. I know I have made a mistake by requesting CBSA report . Will my CITIZENSHIP application will be impacted due to this? If yes please let me know how.

Thanks