+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My fiance is a refugee, anyone go through this experience

arcticcat43

Jul 1, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I copied this from my post in Spousal sponsership.

I have read a lot of posts on here, we are not worried about the Inland application process but want to make sure we do the required steps in the right manner and sequence. My only worry may be that we do not have enough pics as we spend all of our time together when I am home from work(I work away from home)and it is hard for us to take pics of us together at any random time.

Hi everyone,

New to this site and have some questions, wondering if anyone has the answers. I am a born and raised Canadian, my Fiance is here on a refugee claim with the IRB, she came to Canada in early Jan 2010, we meet online Aug 29, 10 and hit it off immediately. I flew to Toronto to meet her in late Oct 2011, late Nov 2011 and spent Christmas 2011 with her and her daughter. Her and her daughter then moved to my home in Saskatchewan on Jan 26, 2011. I actually proposed to her on Oct 30, 2010 and we are planning to marry on Aug 12, 2011. That is a short version of how we meet and were we are at now.

My question is, she has not had her first hearing with the IRB in regards to her refugee claim and we are marrying in August. Should we fill out the In Canada Class Spousal Sponsorship Application as soon as we have all of the documents after we get married or should we wait until her first hearing with the IRB has been done. We will also be sending the necessary documents to the IRB as soon as we get the Official Marriage Certificate from the Government of Saskatchewan.

I will greatly appreciate any answers and suggestions

Thanks

And Good Luck To All Of You

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
I would send in the spousal sponsorship application before the refugee hearing. Why? Because if they decide she is not a refugee, and then right away she sends in a spousal sponsorship application, it will look like a marriage of convenience: it will look as if she only applied through the spousal category because the refugee claim failed.

arcticcat43

Jul 1, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank for the reply canadianwoman,

Now my next question is do you think we need a lawyer or consultant, my fiance does not like this idea because she paid a consultant in Toronto $5000.00 dollars and he pretty much did nothing and walked away with her money, she was fresh off the plane and he took advantage of her. I would rather use the money for our wedding in August :D

arcticcat43

Jul 1, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadianwoman said:
I would send in the spousal sponsorship application before the refugee hearing. Why? Because if they decide she is not a refugee, and then right away she sends in a spousal sponsorship application, it will look like a marriage of convenience: it will look as if she only applied through the spousal category because the refugee claim failed.
I have asked my fiance to phone the CIC and ask them about what we should do, is this a good idea? I don't think it would hurt. I am working in a different Province(my job takes me away from home alot but not from Canada) which makes it a little harder for us to do this together.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
Canadian Woman Advice is sound.

arcticcat43

Jul 1, 2011
Saskatchewan, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
want to say thanks to canadianwoman and Honey Bird,

Your advice was sound.

My fiance made the call to CIC and they said to go ahead with the sponsorship and let both apps go through there due course, which ever one gives her the PR first will nullify the other

NOW, inland or outland? I know outland is faster but is inland easier because we are both here in Canada?