+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience of the whole process

lotusEsp

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
I'm at the end of the road with Canadian Immigration, having now successfully landed and verified my Permanent Residency, so I thought I would jot down a few thoughts on the entire process.

I started planning for PR last year, back when everything was form based. you needed a load of forms to fill out which actually looked a more straightforward process.
However, I didnt actually start getting serious about everything until the start of this year - and I'd heard stories about some late 2014 entrants who had been rejected and told to reapply under the new Express Entry system - so I held off

I was applying under the CEC stream, having done exactly 1 year of full time employment in Canada - under an LMIA position. However after the 1 year I left that job and got another. that too was under LMIA although vastly different NOC, it was similar in terms of industry and environment.

The first thing which filled me with dread, was having to document every job I'd held in the last 10 years. This was a problem for me as I'd been self-employed in many countries around the world on short term contracts. Some were a couple of days, others a couple of months. There were MANY positions I had to account for. This history took the most time to collate.
To a lesser extent, my travel/personal history was troublesome. As above, because of my freelancing I have lived in many countries - each requiring police certificates. I had annoyingly obtained some PCCs before coming to Canada, but at the time of my submission they had to be issued within 3 months. Ughh, So I got them issued again (from 5 different countries) although since I submitted them, CIC changed the rules and my original PCCs would have been valid - oh well never mind
My travel history was complicated. Living in Europe there are no borders, thus no stamps in your passport to account for your travels, yet I must have made many many trips "abroad" which I just couldnt recall. I had to just put a "to the best of my knowledge" list of travel details

The most annoying/irritating part of the process was having to take an English exam. I am a British national, therefore fluent in all aspects of English (as proven by my excellent scores) I strongly believe there should be some common sense applied to this step. Why should a natural English speaker, say from UK, Australia, USA etc be required to pay $300+ and 4 hours doing a test? I really think a 15-20 mins fast track interview could be applied to those sections of applicants. If you dont pass the fast test with perfect results - you get sent to do the full IELTS. But making me sit for 4 hours doing those tests was painful and I resent it a great deal.

Using the EE system was a bit buggy. Mainly because I was in the first batch of applicants so I would expect it to be. I can forgive them that

After I initially completed my profile and submitted it, I only had to wait until the next draw to be selected. I had a score of 790
Excited, I got all my documents together to upload and complete. It then became clear that I was being asked to provide proof of things which I didnt think should be needed under CEC - such as proof of education and proof of funds etc etc. I also had to get letters of reference for every single international job I had entered - this would be impossible in the timeframe - if at all.
I contacted CIC and they told me that everything I put in my profile (like current bank balance) would be used to generate my points. If I didnt want to or was unable to prove certain details, I should leave them out of my profile. Common sense would not apply here.

So I took the decision to decline my invitation, and went back and edited my profile. I removed my university education, and all but 2 or 3 of my foreign work experience details. I also listed my bank balance as 0
I resubmitted my profile (my score had dropped to about 780 I think) and waited for another ITA.
Thankfully I didnt have to wait long - I got another ITA within a few days. So off I went again.

I completed all the forms, relieved that this time I wasnt asked to provide financial status, previous foreign work experience and getting my degree validated etc.

I booked my medical in Toronto, and that was an expensive 30 mins. Quick 5 mins check up with a Dr, then pee in cup and give a blood sample, quick chest XRay and I was on my way.

After entering all the details and getting all my documents scanned into PDF I was finally ready to submit.

After submission I waited a week before my status changed to reflect that my medicals had been 'passed'

then nothing - at all - for 3 months until I got my Confirmation of Permanent Residency though
Wow! talk about no news is good news. I didnt get a single update in the entire process after medicals. ECAS & myCIC told me nothing. Just "background check in process" then "a decision has been made"

To be honest, I expected my background checks to take a LONG time, given the amount of countries I have lived/worked in, including the middle east. But 3 months is pretty impressive.

So I finally this week went to Niagara to validate my PR. a very quick and straightforward process. Interviewed by the canadian border guy and attach my COPR to my passport.
An I am now an Immigrant :)

Looking back I think the worst thing about the entire process was being on these forums. By that I mean you can read everyone's stories and experiences and get scared to death. People post up that they've been rejected for no reason and thats it, slammed door and they lost their application.
Given some rational though - I rather suspect there was more to those stories than the one side of scarce information we got. I rather suspect the vast majority of rejections were down to poor reading/understanding of the instructions - and failing to submit the requested documents.

This forum has helped a lot of people through the process, myself included, but I also admit it caused me a lot of anxiety when looking at other's horror stories. I would probably say this forum was 60% useful and 40% frighting

All in all, I think anyone going into the EE process would do well to take at least a month to work out if you can get all the required documentation together in time. It was very stressful having your application in the hands of 3rd parties (police checks, letters of reference, english examiners etc)
but if you know you qualify, and I mean really qualify, then it is a relatively straightforward system. Its very easy to fall down if you dont answer questions honestly or have a poor understanding of English to work out what exactly is being asked of you.

finally, after everything, the whole process has finished and I feel a little underwhelmed. No fireworks or dancing around the room now I have PR, mainly because of the drip drip drip of progress made over the last 4 months I am just relieved it's all over and I can throw away my mountain of paperwork collated over the last 6 months.

Good luck to everyone going for PR!

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
Congrats Lotous. :)

One big plus on the EE side. The old system (in which I was) , takes way more time! In my case 14 months (from AOR). :)

I absolutely agree with your point, regarding reading other people stories. In the beginning, I also was getting stressed and shocked from some of the stories, but over the time I knew that it is what it is and as you said, if you followed the instructions correctly without any little compromise of attention, the overall process will complete smoothly. In my application, thank god, all the stages passed as expected.

Good luck for Everyone!

sunil55

Jul 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing.
Others also come back and share their stories.
Very motivating.

badboywater

May 4, 2015
hi,i am curious about you IELETS socore,native speaker。

lotusEsp said:
I'm at the end of the road with Canadian Immigration, having now successfully landed and verified my Permanent Residency, so I thought I would jot down a few thoughts on the entire process.

I started planning for PR last year, back when everything was form based. you needed a load of forms to fill out which actually looked a more straightforward process.
However, I didnt actually start getting serious about everything until the start of this year - and I'd heard stories about some late 2014 entrants who had been rejected and told to reapply under the new Express Entry system - so I held off

I was applying under the CEC stream, having done exactly 1 year of full time employment in Canada - under an LMIA position. However after the 1 year I left that job and got another. that too was under LMIA although vastly different NOC, it was similar in terms of industry and environment.

The first thing which filled me with dread, was having to document every job I'd held in the last 10 years. This was a problem for me as I'd been self-employed in many countries around the world on short term contracts. Some were a couple of days, others a couple of months. There were MANY positions I had to account for. This history took the most time to collate.
To a lesser extent, my travel/personal history was troublesome. As above, because of my freelancing I have lived in many countries - each requiring police certificates. I had annoyingly obtained some PCCs before coming to Canada, but at the time of my submission they had to be issued within 3 months. Ughh, So I got them issued again (from 5 different countries) although since I submitted them, CIC changed the rules and my original PCCs would have been valid - oh well never mind
My travel history was complicated. Living in Europe there are no borders, thus no stamps in your passport to account for your travels, yet I must have made many many trips "abroad" which I just couldnt recall. I had to just put a "to the best of my knowledge" list of travel details

The most annoying/irritating part of the process was having to take an English exam. I am a British national, therefore fluent in all aspects of English (as proven by my excellent scores) I strongly believe there should be some common sense applied to this step. Why should a natural English speaker, say from UK, Australia, USA etc be required to pay $300+ and 4 hours doing a test? I really think a 15-20 mins fast track interview could be applied to those sections of applicants. If you dont pass the fast test with perfect results - you get sent to do the full IELTS. But making me sit for 4 hours doing those tests was painful and I resent it a great deal.

Using the EE system was a bit buggy. Mainly because I was in the first batch of applicants so I would expect it to be. I can forgive them that

After I initially completed my profile and submitted it, I only had to wait until the next draw to be selected. I had a score of 790
Excited, I got all my documents together to upload and complete. It then became clear that I was being asked to provide proof of things which I didnt think should be needed under CEC - such as proof of education and proof of funds etc etc. I also had to get letters of reference for every single international job I had entered - this would be impossible in the timeframe - if at all.
I contacted CIC and they told me that everything I put in my profile (like current bank balance) would be used to generate my points. If I didnt want to or was unable to prove certain details, I should leave them out of my profile. Common sense would not apply here.

So I took the decision to decline my invitation, and went back and edited my profile. I removed my university education, and all but 2 or 3 of my foreign work experience details. I also listed my bank balance as 0
I resubmitted my profile (my score had dropped to about 780 I think) and waited for another ITA.
Thankfully I didnt have to wait long - I got another ITA within a few days. So off I went again.

I completed all the forms, relieved that this time I wasnt asked to provide financial status, previous foreign work experience and getting my degree validated etc.

I booked my medical in Toronto, and that was an expensive 30 mins. Quick 5 mins check up with a Dr, then pee in cup and give a blood sample, quick chest XRay and I was on my way.

After entering all the details and getting all my documents scanned into PDF I was finally ready to submit.

After submission I waited a week before my status changed to reflect that my medicals had been 'passed'

then nothing - at all - for 3 months until I got my Confirmation of Permanent Residency though
Wow! talk about no news is good news. I didnt get a single update in the entire process after medicals. ECAS & myCIC told me nothing. Just "background check in process" then "a decision has been made"

To be honest, I expected my background checks to take a LONG time, given the amount of countries I have lived/worked in, including the middle east. But 3 months is pretty impressive.

So I finally this week went to Niagara to validate my PR. a very quick and straightforward process. Interviewed by the canadian border guy and attach my COPR to my passport.

Looking back I think the worst thing about the entire process was being on these forums. By that I mean you can read everyone's stories and experiences and get scared to death. People post up that they've been rejected for no reason and thats it, slammed door and they lost their application.
Given some rational though - I rather suspect there was more to those stories than the one side of scarce information we got. I rather suspect the vast majority of rejections were down to poor reading/understanding of the instructions - and failing to submit the requested documents.

This forum has helped a lot of people through the process, myself included, but I also admit it caused me a lot of anxiety when looking at other's horror stories. I would probably say this forum was 60% useful and 40% frighting

All in all, I think anyone going into the EE process would do well to take at least a month to work out if you can get all the required documentation together in time. It was very stressful having your application in the hands of 3rd parties (police checks, letters of reference, english examiners etc)
but if you know you qualify, and I mean really qualify, then it is a relatively straightforward system. Its very easy to fall down if you dont answer questions honestly or have a poor understanding of English to work out what exactly is being asked of you.

finally, after everything, the whole process has finished and I feel a little underwhelmed. No fireworks or dancing around the room now I have PR, mainly because of the drip drip drip of progress made over the last 4 months I am just relieved it's all over and I can throw away my mountain of paperwork collated over the last 6 months.

silo66

Jun 9, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats! You're so right about the forum anxiety. This forum is immensely helpful but can also be scary. Posts like yours remind me to take everything I read with a grain of salt. :)

I was wondering, what documents did you submit for your freelance experience?

snkarora

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Delhi_India
Category........
Visa Office......
India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25 January 2015
AOR Received.
24 May 2015
Loved your article. Thanks for taking out your time to write this.

niagary

Star Member
Mar 28, 2015
lotusEsp said:

You had a score of 790 with LMIA or without LMIA?

UrbanNomad

Star Member
Aug 25, 2015
Visa Office......
Singapore
very good post & quite agree on the forum being a helpful yet scary point of reference.

just purely out of curiosity: you are a british national - any head line thoughts on what makes Canada more attractive?

i know this can be very subjective, but always helps to have some view points from somebody like you, making this big a shift :)

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lotusEsp said:

Thanks for your post, I found it very informative. The only thing though that I disagree with is people from English speaking countries not having to write IELTS. The reason I say this is because I've lived in the UK for over 5 years now and can positively tell you that not every British person is a native English speaker. I can't count how many people I've come in contact with who couldn't understand some English terms unless it is broken down in lay man's English. I've also come across those who couldn't construct an accurate English sentence without the use of slangs or broken English and yes there are those who can't even spell.

What I'm trying to say is coming from an English speaking country does not in any way guarantee that you are a native English speaker or writer so yes CIC is fair in saying everyone needs to take the IELTS.

lotusEsp

Star Member
Feb 19, 2015
Anya654 said:
Thanks for your post, I found it very informative. The only thing though that I disagree with is people from English speaking countries not having to write IELTS. The reason I say this is because I've lived in the UK for over 5 years now and can positively tell you that not every British person is a native English speaker. I can't count how many people I've come in contact with who couldn't understand some English terms unless it is broken down in lay man's English. I've also come across those who couldn't construct an accurate English sentence without the use of slangs or broken English and yes there are those who can't even spell.

What I'm trying to say is coming from an English speaking country does not in any way guarantee that you are a native English speaker or writer so yes CIC is fair in saying everyone needs to take the IELTS.
that's why I suggested the short interview. would be very easy to do:
5 mins dictation
10 mins conversing
5 mins reading from a random book chosen by the examiner.

If you dont ace all those, then you are told to take the full IELTS

Kucuy15

Jul 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
I really enjoyed this thread! I found this forum two months after submitting my application so I submitted every required document "to the best of my knowledge" back then. I was so relaxed and ready to wait my six months until I came across this forum and oh boy, the anxiety begun!! :-\

Anyways, things seem to be moving "as expected" with my application now, and since there was nothing I could do with my application by the time I found this forum I have just been celebrating success stories like yours with my fellow forum members :D.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

karandeepwalia

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
Toronto, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
0124/1123
Interview........