+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My CEC Application now 'In Process" (NOC 4122 - Research Assistant/TA)

sampan

Aug 2, 2011
jes_ON said:
Because isack is in a PhD program, s/he is not eligible under the master's program for Ontario PNP (Opportunities Ontario). However, once the PhD program is completed, then s/he would be eligible under the PhD program ... options indeed!
From what was said above, isack DID complete a master's program 2 years ago from a Canadian institution (UWO), and thus isack should be eligible under the master's program for Ontario PNP (Opportunities Ontario).

[quote author=isack84]
I got my Master's degree from UWO two years ago, and since then I'm a PhD. student at UWO
[/quote]

Please correct me if I missed certain terms and conditions for this PNP program

sampan

Aug 2, 2011
isack84 said:
Anyway, my duties as GRA agree with the NOC description of the RA. I already got a letter from my department stating that I'm employed by the department as a GTA and a GRA, with the annual salary in it. I a could also ask them to add the weekly hours. Finally, I will get two reference letters, one from supervisor stating my GRA duties and the other from the teaching professor stating my GTA duties.

Would that at least give me a possibility to get the PR via the CEC?
That's how I filed my application, which is by including a letter from my professor stating my responsibilities, annual salary, and weekly hours. As I said previously, I have been approved for PR - CEC as well as some of my GRA friends who applied using this method.

Please keep in mind though that every case is unique, including the visa officer who will be evaluating the applications, so there is no guarantee of success, but certainly there is a possibility :)

I

isack84

sampan said:
From what was said above, isack DID complete a master's program 2 years ago from a Canadian institution (UWO), and thus isack should be eligible under the master's program for Ontario PNP (Opportunities Ontario).
I did complete a master's program 2 years ago. But, I can't apply to the PNP for two reasons. First, I graduated 2 years ago, and second I'm in a PhD program. Thus, my current state violates two of the PNP requirements.

Thanks a lot sampan :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sampan said:
Please keep in mind though that every case is unique, including the visa officer who will be evaluating the applications, so there is no guarantee of success, but certainly there is a possibility :)
well said, sampan!

defenestration

Star Member
Jul 8, 2011
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2010
Doc's Request.
11-06-2011
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
Med's Request
31-05-2011
Med's Done....
04-07-2011
Passport Req..
23-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
sampan said:
That's how I filed my application, which is by including a letter from my professor stating my responsibilities, annual salary, and weekly hours. As I said previously, I have been approved for PR - CEC as well as some of my GRA friends who applied using this method.

This isn't directly applicable, but in case it's useful to someone else:

I applied CEC, and received an IA (so, approved apart from medicals) based on work experience under NOC 4122 that was partly stipend income (T4A) earned as a postdoc. Now, postdocs are not graduate students (CRA taxes postdocs whether they're paid a salary and issued a T4, or paid a stipend and issued a T4A; more importantly, CIC gives us work permits, not study permits). But it's not entirely different; the letter from my university department didn't describe me as employed as a postdoc (even though I was a salaried employee my first year), nor listed a number of hours I worked, only as "registered as a postdoc...full-time". Oh, and my work permits all said "TEACHING ASSISTANT", even though one of the CIC manuals explicitly says not to issue work permits like that for postdocs, since it may cause trouble with permanent residence applications.

Of course, all this means is that one VO in Buffalo decided, on that particular day, to accept that kind of application...

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

I've been on a few thread on this forum:

I'm a 4th year PhD student in the biology field. I want to apply for PR in Canada, but I have not yet graduated (it might still take a year or two) and I don't want to wait to apply for PR.

I'm in the same situation as most of you: I have a GTA, I get an hourly stipend for that, and I have T4 and T4a.

I'm not sure in which category to apply: FSW can work if I value my PhD years as full time work ; same for CEC. The thing is, I don't know if I should go for the biology category (opened to immigration right now) or the NOC 4122 category.

So, in addition to that, Id like to know how the persons who managed to get PR approved that had not yet graduated and did not have full time work experience previous to their degrees managed to convinve the immigration officers that PhD/Masters years = full time work.
I'm sure my supervisor would support me with this, but i want to make sure I apply to the right place: CEC or FSW AND in the right category.

Thanks!
Agnes

ejamal

Star Member
Nov 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2011
AOR Received.
24-02-2012
Med's Request
25-5-2012
Passport Req..
28-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hey Jes_ON

I'm in the same exact situation like isack84, and I don't know which category shall I apply to, CEC or FSW (PhD stream). I know I qualify for FSW (PhD stream) but would they reject my applciation cause I might qualifty for CEC?
I got my Masters degreen from a Canadian University. Currently, I am a PhD student at UWO, and I work as GRA and GTA. I receive T4 (for $17700) and T4A (for $6000) slips. I can get a letter from the Department that would state I'm employed for 20 hours a week (as GRA and GTA) with an annual salary around $29k.

Based on what I said do I qualifty for CEC.

Greatly appreciate the help,
Jamal

jes_ON said:
Do you by any chance have enough hours on the T4s only?

According to UWO's own website, T4's are for employment, T4As are for scholarships, bursaries, etc.

registrar.uwo.ca/index.cfm/student-finances/tax-receipts/

If you have 1950 hours on the T4s, you will be OK. If you need the hours related to the T4A, it gets trickier.

It would be nice to get updates from those who have tried it...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ejamal said:
Hey Jes_ON

I'm in the same exact situation like isack84, and I don't know which category shall I apply to, CEC or FSW (PhD stream). I know I qualify for FSW (PhD stream) but would they reject my applciation cause I might qualifty for CEC?
I got my Masters degreen from a Canadian University. Currently, I am a PhD student at UWO, and I work as GRA and GTA. I receive T4 (for $17700) and T4A (for $6000) slips. I can get a letter from the Department that would state I'm employed for 20 hours a week (as GRA and GTA) with an annual salary around $29k.

Based on what I said do I qualifty for CEC.
Hi Jamal,

To qualify in the CEC Post-grad stream, you need 1 year of full-time work experience (or the equivalent of 1950 hours) within the 2 years preceding the date of the application. Unless you work year-round with no breaks (unlikely for a graduate student), at 20 hours per week, it is unlikely you will meet the employment requirement. For 20 hours per week for a 16 week semester is only 360 hours, or 1280 hours for 4 semesters. Even if you worked 6 semesters in 2 years, it does not meet the requirement. But you can do the math as it fits your situation.

Having said that, it is true that some applicants have been approved through CEC. But with this new program, I would not be surprised if CEC becomes more strict.

Your application would NEVER be rejected just because you qualify under another stream. The only consideration is, do you qualify under the stream for which you have applied? It is uncertain under CEC; it is certain under the FSW PhD stream (if you get your application in quickly enough). You can try both if you want (if you have the resources), that is permitted. If it were me, I would apply under the FSW PhD program.

manojpandey

Feb 3, 2012
I am doing my PhD and I have completed two and half years in the program. But, I dont have any degree or diploma certificate. When I looked in the CIC website for Canadian Experience Class it says that the individual must need to have any certificate of completion to be considered for the two years study experience.

I have done GA/RA for two and half years now.

whether I am eligible for applying or not?. Any one help me ??

sareena

Feb 14, 2012
Hi Friends

I have similar kinds of questions and it would be great to have helpful suggestions.

I am a student and have been in Canada since 2006. I did my undergrad(4 years) here and currently I am in a masters program ( Msc- Molecular and Cellular Biology) from the past one year at University of Guelph.
Again I am being payed stipend from my professor (both GRA and GTA) and I receive T4 and T4A slips.
I am very much willing to apply for immigration but I am not clear(1) If my experience gained as a GRA and GTA during my masters counts towards the work experience for either CEC or Skilled worked class? (2) If that does, which immigration class should be the most appropriate and suitable to apply under (CEC or Skilled worker class) , considering that I work as a Biologist( which is one of the listed occupations under the skilled worker class).

Any help or advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you :)