+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My case

combinatie

Dec 10, 2009
Hello,
I am Martijn. I recently decided I want to move to Canada. I want to move to BC Canada, because of it's nature. I'd like to live in it. My case:

I am from the Netherlands.
I am male, 24 years old.
I finished secondairy education.
My French is basic.
I started but did not finish university.
I have had many jobs. My last two are:
Production worker in the pork industry. (6 months)
Entertainer/ show fighter in a theme park. (7 months)
I can get sufficient funds in a couple of months.

I know it's hard to get a job if you are not there. That's why I see three options:

1 Get a visitor visa. Go to Canada and get a job offer. Then apply for a skilled worker visa.
2 Get a working holiday visa. Go to Canada, find a job and a house. Then apply for a skilled worker visa.
3 Get a job, and get a skilled worker visa, straight from the PNP of BC. That would be in the semi-skilled category, as a food processor.

Option 1 would cost a lot of time and money. Option 3 would be hard to get. Or so I think. My questions:

1 Am I missing out on other options?
2 Can you change jobs without having to change your visa?
3 How would you rate my chances?
4 If my case is weak, what is it's weakness?

Thank you,
Martijn.

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
My recommendation would be to get a working holiday visa, get a job and try to have your employer sponsor you for a work permit when the visa expires. Meanwhile, you can never know what will happen. You might end up being sponsored as a family member. :)

Baizen

Jan 8, 2010
Hi Swede,
I am new and I am also looking for a way to settle in Canada. Can you tell me what "working holiday visa" is?
Thanks a lot.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
combinatie said:
Production worker in the pork industry. (6 months)
Several of the provinces list industrial slaughter house work as part of their skilled trades section eligible for PNP. You may want to look at each of the Canadian provinces' immigration website for more detailed info.

WHV is definitively the best choice for you at the current stage.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately I don't think there is a working holiday scheme for Dutch citizens.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Baizen said:
Hi Swede,
I am new and I am also looking for a way to settle in Canada. Can you tell me what "working holiday visa" is?
Thanks a lot.
Hi Baizen,

Depends on what country you're from. This is from wikipedia so it is not really authoritative but gives a "bird's eye" view of the program:

A working holiday visa is a travel permit which allows travellers to undertake employment in the country issuing the visa for the purpose of supplementing their travel funds.

Most working holiday visas are offered under reciprocal agreements between certain countries, to encourage travel and cultural exchange between their citizens.

There are often several restrictions on this type of visa:

* many are intended for young travellers, and as such have an age restriction (usually 18-30)
* there are usually limits on the type of employment taken, or the length of time the traveller can be employed.
* the visa holder is expected to have sufficient funds to live on while they seek employment

The originating countries in this were Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Canada, which all wished to allow their young people to visit the United Kingdom.

It allows young people to experience living in a foreign country, without undergoing the usual costly expenses of finding work sponsorship in advance, or going on expensive university exchange programmes.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I checked the website of the Canadian embassy in the Netherlands and it did not mention any working holiday program.

Remember that the webpage you posted is not an official website; it is also unreliable, as it states Swedish working holiday applications are processed in London, which is incorrect; they are processed right in Stockholm. I should know; I got my work permit under that program. :)

I may be wrong and the Netherlands may be part of the program, but that webpage is not good evidence...

helios said:
http://www.visabureau.com/canada/working-holiday.aspx?s_cid=29000121
From the above website:

Other participating countries include;
* the Netherlands;

Baizen

Jan 8, 2010
Thanks so much.
I am from Vietnam but studying in the States under F1 visa. Do you have any website that states requirements for apply for WHV? Or how can I find out more about this WHV?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Karlshammar said:
I checked the website of the Canadian embassy in the Netherlands and it did not mention any working holiday program.

Remember that the webpage you posted is not an official website; it is also unreliable, as it states Swedish working holiday applications are processed in London, which is incorrect; they are processed right in Stockholm. I should know; I got my work permit under that program. :)

I may be wrong and the Netherlands may be part of the program, but that webpage is not good evidence...
The Netherlands is a valid country that participates in the Working Holiday Program. Seehttp://www.international.gc.ca/iyp-pij/country_incoming-pays_entrants.aspx

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Karlshammar said:

There are 3 working holiday programs for the Netherlands. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf

Netherlands SWAP 18-30 years of age open 12 months
Netherlands WHP 18-30 years of age open 12 months
Netherlands Young Professionals/Young Workers 18-30 years of age employer specific 12 months

PMM
New Zealand SWAP 18-30 years of

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Baizen said:
Thanks so much.
I am from Vietnam but studying in the States under F1 visa. Do you have any website that states requirements for apply for WHV? Or how can I find out more about this WHV?
Vietnam is not eligible for WHV or Swap.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Karlshammar said:
Ah, I stand corrected. :)

I still can't find the link with the information on applying, etc. for Dutch citizens. Is anyone else able to find it?
"Seek and ye shall find"

As the application goes to Berlin , so here are the instructions for the Netherlands. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/netherlands-pays_bas.aspx?lang=eng

PMM

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks PMM! I only found the German one when I looked on the Berlin website.

I find it interesting that the Dutch program is processed in Berlin; in Sweden it is processed locally in Stockholm even though all other visa applications go through London.

PMM said:
Hi

"Seek and ye shall find"

As the application goes to Berlin , so here are the instructions for the Netherlands. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/germany-allemagne/youth-jeunesse/netherlands-pays_bas.aspx?lang=eng

PMM