+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My Bf's refugee claim was denied!!I need HELP ASAP!!!

kraeinbc

Jun 17, 2013
My boyfriends refugee claim was denied. What do I do now?

Here's the story, my bf is turkish. He was working on a Turkish cargo ship. He is Christian (has been for the last 15 years) He kept it hidden for fear of being killed because the majority of his country is Muslim. When he told his family they disowned him. Anyway the supervisor on the ship found his cross and his bible and called him out on it. Threatened him and told him to come out of his cabin. Then a group of men chased him with machetes and pipes. He chose the only thing he thought to be a better idea than being attacked, and that was to jump ship. Ten metres to the cement dock below. A broken ankle, a sprained ankle and a broken rib later, he woke up in hospital. When he was healed up enough to be removed from the country he filed a refugee claim. For fear of being killed when he got back to his country for his choice of religion.
We have been together for just over a year and are engaged to get married. He is the love of my life and the thought of him being sent back to his country and possibly being harmed is weighing on my mind.

I need guidance. Anyone been through this?
Do we go a head with he appeal?
What are the chances of success if the claim was already denied?
How do we afford the appeal?
Does anyone know a good lawyer in the Vancouver area?
Are there any other ways I can keep my bf here in Canada?
Do I sponsor him?
He just needs to be safe.

I look forward to your responses.

placide

Dec 6, 2012
Hi, since u lived together over one year(12 months) u can sponsor him as your common law partner.

WoodyKatie

Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 31, 2012
File Transfer...
Dec. 12, 2012
Med's Done....
Oct. 9, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 29, 2013
LANDED..........
October 2, 2013
Im not sure of this but go ahead with the appeal and get married, you can also sponsor him..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

WoodyKatie said:
Im not sure of this but go ahead with the appeal and get married, you can also sponsor him..
It depends on when his Appeal was denied. If it was in the past year, there is no PRRA and he will probably be considered removal ready.

WoodyKatie

Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 31, 2012
File Transfer...
Dec. 12, 2012
Med's Done....
Oct. 9, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 29, 2013
LANDED..........
October 2, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

It depends on when his Appeal was denied. If it was in the past year, there is no PRRA and he will probably be considered removal ready.
tnx PMM.. what is PRRA?

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
That is a very odd story -- why weren't the people who attacked him prosecuted? A ship in dock is not on the high seas, and there are many Christians who live in Turkey, plus other sects. I can completely understand why his refugee claim was denied, since 'refugee' doesn't mean 'attacked by gang', it means being a victim of official persecution with a personal focus.

That said, I'm sympathetic to people wanting to stay together -- marry him and apply as his spouse, or do what others suggested and try common-law, if you have enough evidence to back it up.

M

mikeymyke

on-hold said:
That is a very odd story -- why weren't the people who attacked him prosecuted? A ship in dock is not on the high seas, and there are many Christians who live in Turkey, plus other sects. I can completely understand why his refugee claim was denied, since 'refugee' doesn't mean 'attacked by gang', it means being a victim of official persecution with a personal focus.

That said, I'm sympathetic to people wanting to stay together -- marry him and apply as his spouse, or do what others suggested and try common-law, if you have enough evidence to back it up.
Yes I agree, I can see why his refugee claim was denied, because Turkey is a democratic state, with no official state religion. Your b/f's situation would be similar to, for example, a black man living in the USA, who is attacked by a group of white supremacists. If he tried to apply as a refugee to Canada, of course they're going to turn him down, unless the USA government is the one promoting violence against blacks. Its really only countries like Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya etc that can really succeed with refugee claims.

WoodyKatie

Oct 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 31, 2012
File Transfer...
Dec. 12, 2012
Med's Done....
Oct. 9, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 29, 2013
LANDED..........
October 2, 2013
kraeinbc said:
can I? how? I didn't know that was possible
yes it is possible as long as you have enough and valid evidence/proofs that you are common law.

but he may need to come back in his country.

kraeinbc

Jun 17, 2013
on-hold said:

the people who attacked him weren't prosecuted because the men on the ship all believed being christian was wrong and that he got what he deserved. He even got phone calls threatening his families life for being christian. So now he is scared for his life, because so many christians have had their throats cut just for their religion......but it is what it is. I just want him alive no matter where he is. So I'm trying to find the best solution.

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
kraeinbc said:
the people who attacked him weren't prosecuted because the men on the ship all believed being christian was wrong and that he got what he deserved. He even got phone calls threatening his families life for being christian. So now he is scared for his life, because so many christians have had their throats cut just for their religion......but it is what it is. I just want him alive no matter where he is. So I'm trying to find the best solution.
Take my advice as you see fit, but I suggest that you do NOT marry this man. If you can prove your relationship satisfactorily you could apply to sponsor him as your common-law partner. However, it seems you need to learn a lot more about Turkey before you believe everything you have been told. I've lived there. While discrimination certainly exists, it's simply not true that "so many Christians have had their throats cut just for their religion". Whatever happened, if it happened the way you said it did, it makes a good story to try to get sympathy. I'm not saying your boyfriend isn't trustworthy but I am saying that you should know him, his country and his culture a whole lot better before you commit your life to him.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Catou said:
Take my advice as you see fit, but I suggest that you do NOT marry this man. If you can prove your relationship satisfactorily you could apply to sponsor him as your common-law partner. However, it seems you need to learn a lot more about Turkey before you believe everything you have been told. I've lived there. While discrimination certainly exists, it's simply not true that "so many Christians have had their throats cut just for their religion". Whatever happened, if it happened the way you said it did, it makes a good story to try to get sympathy. I'm not saying your boyfriend isn't trustworthy but I am saying that you should know him, his country and his culture a whole lot better before you commit your life to him.

Whatever you decide, good luck.
Hello all

I just like to clear a couple of things.

Turkey is certainly a democratic country no doubt about it!

Turkish people although their majority Muslim are very tolerant towards other religions.
The problem here is a little different one. We are talking about a Muslim man turning Christian. Fellow members of Muslim heritage here can confirm that it is totally unacceptable.

I am not trying to offend anyone here please do not start making religious remarks but we shall not hide behind our own fingers.
I have visited Turkey and even as a Greek I happened to have a warm welcome even from a street vendor. Christian churches are open and people of Christian religion may worship freely.

The issue here is not for respect of other religions but only for someone converting from Islam to Christianity. A very rare and uncommon event!
So the plight of this young man might have some truth in it!

Regards to all
messenger

scos

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2012-08-01
AOR Received.
2012-10-16
Med's Request
2013-05-02
Med's Done....
2013-05-07
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
2013-05-02, In-Process: 2013-06-04, Decision Made: 2013-07-25
VISA ISSUED...
2013-07-30
LANDED..........
2013-08-18
The story sounds very dubious to me. It was especially lucky that his religion was discovered in dock in Canada as opposed to at sea. However regardless of whether the story is true or not, I am pretty sure based on what has happened up to now that any common-law or marriage app will probably fail because it is obviously being used "for the purpose of obtaining Permanent Residence". Just reading the first post tells you that. And that is grounds for refusal.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
My husband was a failed refugee as well.
I sent you a personal message :)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
kraeinbc said:

Right, but this happened in Canada, right? I understood from your first post that he jumped ship when in dock in Canada -- men who did this would be prosecuted. If it happened in Turkey, why did he claim in Canada instead of any of the several dozen safe countries close by?

I am generally sympathetic to refugee claims, I believe it is a basic right -- but, these things strike me as very strange. If I think that, a VO will be ten times more skeptical.