+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Multiple applications under different classes

AFAZY

Star Member
Apr 30, 2016
Hey guys,

Can I submit two applications for PR, one under Spouse sponsorship and the other one under express entry?

Many thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Dealucis

Jul 13, 2016
Do you mean two applications for the same person?

I don't think there's any issues with a simultaneous application, but you are aware that spousal sponsorship requires you to live and work in the country for 3 years+ before you can qualify as a sponsor right? The actual application for spousal sponsorship only takes 1 - 1.5 years if you have already qualified as a sponsor.

For my case, since I have not worked for 3 years post-landing, I decided to have my wife go through the express entry route since she qualifies for it and the processing time is faster.

If you meant applying for express entry yourself, and spousal sponsorship for your spouse at the same time, then that is not possible.

Hope this helps.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Dealucis said:
Do you mean two applications for the same person?

I don't think there's any issues with a simultaneous application, but you are aware that spousal sponsorship requires you to live and work in the country for 3 years+ before you can qualify as a sponsor right? The actual application for spousal sponsorship only takes 1 - 1.5 years if you have already qualified as a sponsor.

For my case, since I have not worked for 3 years post-landing, I decided to have my wife go through the express entry route since she qualifies for it and the processing time is faster.

If you meant applying for express entry yourself, and spousal sponsorship for your spouse at the same time, then that is not possible.

Hope this helps.
I think you got the wrong implication from the OP (edited after the OP confirmed in the post below). Scylla's answer was enough.

AFAZY

Star Member
Apr 30, 2016
Many Thanks Scylla, Dealucis, and Bellaluna. Yes I meant two simultaneous applications for the same person, My spouse is Canadian Citizenship and I think I have a chance under express entry too, so to save time, I was thinking to apply under both categories and go with the first successful application.
I have two additional small questions guys if you don't mind me asking,

1- Is there any consequences ( positive or negative) when submitting two applications other than paying for two applications? Or they are treated as if they are two separate applications ?

Are you aware of any official resource/guide where I can find more about multiple applications?

Many thanks again :)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
AFAZY said:
Many Thanks Scylla, Dealucis, and Bellaluna. Yes I meant two simultaneous applications for the same person, My spouse is Canadian Citizenship and I think I have a chance under express entry too, so to save time, I was thinking to apply under both categories and go with the first successful application.
I have two additional small questions guys if you don't mind me asking,

1- Is there any consequences ( positive or negative) when submitting two applications other than paying for two applications? Or they are treated as if they are two separate applications ?

Are you aware of any official resource/guide where I can find more about multiple applications?

Many thanks again :)
It's somewhere on the CIC website, but again, it's allowed. Of course CIC wouldn't mind as long as you pay the application fees for both applications. ;)

No consequences at all to have multiple applications. And then you can withdraw the other application when one progresses. You're not the first or the last person to do this.