+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada On PR with U-hual truck and two car from USA - Very urgent

mpat

May 6, 2010
Hi guys,

I am moving to canada (from New Jersey, usa) on PR with 10' U-haul truck and two car. Driving one car (my friend) and one car attached to trailor with u-haul. I am planning to move on weekend i.e saturaday, i have already resrved U-haul. I will be faxing original title of my two car (under my name) before 72 hours.
Now my questions is:

Is there any requirement that i have to see US customs (Lewiston Bridge) before i am crossing the border?
if it is then they are open only on weekdays so i need to change my uhaul reservation.
Also, is it ok to go directly to canadian border on Lewiston Bridge over the weekend without seeding US customs at lewiston bridge.

Your immediate answer is appreciated

Thanks

lakhar5

Oct 9, 2010
Hi Mpat,

The process for exporting your cars is as follows:

1. You should have clear title over your car. If it is purchased using Finance option, there is a different process. Please check the rules. If you have clear title, you need to fax the title to US Customs office 72 hours before your arrival to border.
2. You have to see US customs first. They will ask you for your original title . Please keep handy the fax confirmation that you receive immediately after sending the fax.
3. US Customs will stamp your title specifying that it is exported.
4. Customs officer will check the vehicle ( just for checking purpose and not thorough checking) and then send us into Canada

I crossed the border at Windsor ( Detroit). There they stamped my title and another officer just checked the title again and opened the gates to enter Canada. It is direct entry from US customs into Canada immigration office. Hopefully same kind of set up may be there in Lewston Bridge. You can call the US customs office at Lewstion Bridge first before you make the arrangements.

I believe they work Monday to Friday 8 AM to 4PM. Please find out from them. You should not cross the border without contacting US Customs when you are exporting the car.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

Yes, you have to see US customs, so you will have to change your U-Haul reservation.