+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from closed work permit to open work permit

vamshi g

Jul 1, 2018
Hi All,

My current company has issued me a closed work permit for 2 years, but unfortunately the company is unable to fund the new project because of which i wont be getting paid as there would not be any project to work on.

What are my options to move from Closed work permit to open work permit so that i can apply for other employers ?

Can anyone help please

Thanks
John P

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

My current company has issued me a closed work permit for 2 years, but unfortunately the company is unable to fund the new project because of which i wont be getting paid as there would not be any project to work on.

What are my options to move from Closed work permit to open work permit so that i can apply for other employers ?

Can anyone help please

Thanks
John P
Based on the information you have provided, you don't qualify for an open work permit.

If you wish to work for a different employer, your new employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a closed work permit.

srim92

Sep 30, 2018
Hi All,

Can anyone help please

Thanks
John P
How long you can stay in Canada with out job ? Based on that may be try finding a new job who can sponsor your new work permit.

vamshi g

Jul 1, 2018
Thank you for the response, Would it be possible to find a contract job for may be an year or two on which my payroll stays the current company.
Because my company is ready to sign an agreement.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the response, Would it be possible to find a contract job for may be an year or two on which my payroll stays the current company.
Because my company is ready to sign an agreement.
You can only work in the job that is listed in your LMIA and work permit. You cannot work another job but be paid through your company - that's illegal.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I mean to say, My company is into staffing and resourcing as well. Hence looking for a contract job
Not possible. You either do the job that was specified you closed visa or start from scratch and find a new employer, apply for LMIA and then a work permit. The process can take 4-6 months with no guarantee of approval and it is hard to find an employer willing to wait and pay the cost of an LMIA.

Reactions: scylla