+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving before PR is finalized

Mar 15, 2009
I'm sponsoring my husband for PR (he's American) and the paperwork is in process. Our employers would like us to begin work in June, but I'm not sure the paperwork will be done by then. Is there a way to immigrate early? Visitor visa? Work Visa? What is the time frame on either of these? Thanks! I'm eager to come back home.

Most importantly, will coming in on a work visa affect the status of his PR currently in process?

Empenguin

Star Member
Aug 5, 2008
Toronto
He can always come here on a visitor visa which is good for 6 months, but there's never a 100% guarantee that he won't be turned away if he declares that his PR app is in process. However you should always tell the truth and tell the IO that he's applied for PR.

Mar 15, 2009
What about a work visa? He's a Type I diabetic and needs health coverage. Can he come in on a work visa (which I believe qualifies him for BC health care) while PR is in process?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try work visa for sure. If the LMO is approved, he should get it. In BC, he will have health care as a temporary worker after the 3 month waiting period.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The LMO takes the most time. Depends on what kind of job. Sometimes they can take a couple of months or more. Some jobs are LMO exempt. Once he has an LMO or a job offer for an LMO exempt job, he can apply for a work permit at the border, will get it right away. Cost is $150 I think. It will not affect PR.