+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mother in USA is gravely sick - PR Card Renewal not done yet

Swampfoot

Aug 16, 2010
American citizen, been a PR of Canada since 2005. Live in Nova Scotia. Family class (Canadian wife). With PR card set to expire in April 2010, I sent the renewal packet in early February 2010. Not processed yet.

Found out Mom has cancer and I have a ticket to fly to the US (Louisiana via Newark & Houston) on August 29th, planning to return to Canada Sept 1st. This is during vacation time from my job in Canada.

Faxed the request for urgent processing today, included tracking number of renewal packet, e-ticket from the airline, date packet was sent, etc. Included everything CIC asks for. States on CIC website that processing in time for travel is not guaranteed when you make an urgent request. I fly in two weeks, I hope it is enough time for them to get it done.

I found that Travel Document processing times are ONE MONTH in NYC - link here, near the bottom: bit.ly/9RRwtD . I'd have to wait in the USA for a whole frigging month to come home? If my card doesn't arrive in time and I fly back to Canada and hit Immigration in Halifax with my expired PR card, will they issue me a visitor visa to cover me until PR card arrives? Will they turn me round and send me back to NYC?

That would suck, and I'd probably lose my job. It's a good job, too.

There have got to be better options than waiting in the USA for a month.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Swampfoot said:
American citizen, been a PR of Canada since 2005. Live in Nova Scotia. Family class (Canadian wife). With PR card set to expire in April 2010, I sent the renewal packet in early February 2010. Not processed yet.

Found out Mom has cancer and I have a ticket to fly to the US (Louisiana via Newark & Houston) on August 29th, planning to return to Canada Sept 1st. This is during vacation time from my job in Canada.

Faxed the request for urgent processing today, included tracking number of renewal packet, e-ticket from the airline, date packet was sent, etc. Included everything CIC asks for. States on CIC website that processing in time for travel is not guaranteed when you make an urgent request. I fly in two weeks, I hope it is enough time for them to get it done.

I found that Travel Document processing times are ONE MONTH in NYC - link here, near the bottom: bit.ly/9RRwtD . I'd have to wait in the USA for a whole frigging month to come home? If my card doesn't arrive in time and I fly back to Canada and hit Immigration in Halifax with my expired PR card, will they issue me a visitor visa to cover me until PR card arrives? Will they turn me round and send me back to NYC?

That would suck, and I'd probably lose my job. It's a good job, too.

There have got to be better options than waiting in the USA for a month.
As a US citizen, you won't have any problems re-entering Canada without your PR card. You don't need to apply for TD. It is even simpler if you cross the border by non-commercial means, if the Airline give you a hard time about boarding on a one-way ticket. It is extremely unlikely that you will have any problems. Just book your ticket and go.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
PMM said:
Hi

As a US citizen, you won't have any problems re-entering Canada without your PR card. You don't need to apply for TD. It is even simpler if you cross the border by non-commercial means, if the Airline give you a hard time about boarding on a one-way ticket. It is extremely unlikely that you will have any problems. Just book your ticket and go.
Good answer, PMM, but is there something the traveler must do afterward, to clarify his passport record? If he re-enters Canada as a US tourist, which is certainly better than entering as a PR with an expired PR card, then Immigration will stamp his passport, no? If he doesn't then exit Canada within 6 months, won't he technically be in violation of the temporary visa?

When he re-enters Canada, he will then be able to possess his renewed PR card, but how to clear up the 6-month stamp in his passport?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Good answer, PMM, but is there something the traveler must do afterward, to clarify his passport record? If he re-enters Canada as a US tourist, which is certainly better than entering as a PR with an expired PR card, then Immigration will stamp his passport, no? If he doesn't then exit Canada within 6 months, won't he technically be in violation of the temporary visa?

When he re-enters Canada, he will then be able to possess his renewed PR card, but how to clear up the 6-month stamp in his passport?
No, when he arrives back in Canada he tells CBSA that he is a PR, they can confirm it on FOSS.

Swampfoot

Aug 16, 2010
Thanks a lot PMM, after doing more research, it confirms everything you said. The new PR card will probably make it to me before I leave anyway, but as you say, I'm already a PR in their system, I'm from a visa-exempt country, and I have a valid US passport. So that's quite a relief.

yee

Sep 26, 2010
Swampfoot,

Can you give me further information on what happened to your situation? I am in the same situation as you; therefore, would really appreciate your experience.

However....

I am US citizen. Working for Canadian public agencies. The card expires in October and I will be going to Italy to have my honeymoon and reception with my Canadian husband in November. I read the instruction posted in May at "Citizenship and Immigration Canada" website that it will take 3 months to process the renewal. So I mailed my renewal application in the beginning of June thinking 5 months is enough to process the application. I just went online to check the status of the application and found out that the process has been drastically delayed. They are now processing applications filed before March and the waiting time for this group of application has to wait 225 days. It seems like it will take another year to process my application. This means that I can't go to my honeymoon and reception. The worst part is that my guests and us already booked the flights and accommodations.

The website says that if I meet the condition (filed before March and waited for more than 225 days) I can fax a request to fasten the process but they won't guaranteed this can be done. They have to get back to let me know. However, it doesn't seem that I meet the condition.

Do you think I should submit another application for urgency request? I don't mind paying extra just not sure if this will still make it in time. How long did it take to process your urgent request?

Thanks

Yee

Swampfoot

Aug 16, 2010
Just as an update to anyone who stumbles onto this thread and is curious about the outcome...

The morning after I purchased my airline ticket, I faxed the urgent processing request (including a copy of my e-ticket) to Immigration Canada. That was August 16. I got an email on the afternoon of the 17th stating that they had received my request and that they would do the best they could to fulfill it, though there was no guarantee.

On the morning of the 25th, I got a phone call from the Halifax Immigration office telling me my card was ready and I made an appointment to pick it up the next day. So I got the renewed PR card, but with only two business days to spare, which was a bit close for my liking. I left on my trip on Sunday the 29th and had no problems getting back into Canada a few days later.

So the whole process for me took less than ten days. I suspect the main thing is that they want to see that you already have your ticket.

Swampfoot

yee

Sep 26, 2010
Thanks, Swampfoot. Really appreciate your help. I can breathe little better now.

Yee