+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistaken entry at the US-Canada border

Dinesh0636

Aug 29, 2024
Hello guys, I wanted to share an incident that took place at the US-Canada border in May, 2024, and seek your advice on how to proceed.

While my father was visiting me in Vancouver for my graduation in May 2024, we decided to visit the Peace Arch at the US-Canada border. Unfortunately, due to unfamiliarity with the area, we accidentally entered the duty-free lane at the border and found ourselves unable to return without completing a loop back through Canadian immigration. We explained the situation to the border service officers, mentioning that we hadn't intended to cross and that we were not carrying our passports. They verified our credentials online at the office and allowed us to re-enter Canada.

However, this incident was recorded on my I-94 form, showing a departure but no corresponding arrival, although we never went through US immigration.

In the past few months, I've traveled to the US without any issues, but I'm concerned about whether I need to explain this incident in a letter to the IRCC when submitting my PR application. Will it impact my application? Could you kindly suggest the best course of action in this situation?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's wise to disclose/explain this, since it will not impact, or delay your PR application.

Since even a partial day outside of Canada still counts as a full day in Canada, just note it in the Travel History section when you prepare your PR application.
Make sure you have accurate travel data for ALL trips from/to Canada as you will need that information for the PR application. Yes, there is a consent box in the
application allowing IRCC to get CBSA records, but you will need to provide the travel data in your application, first. CBSA's records will be used to corroborate your travel history.

Dinesh0636

Aug 29, 2024
Thank you so much the information. I will definitely disclose this information. can you tell me what you meant by " consent box in the application allowing IRCC to get CBSA records ". Furthermore, do I have request any documents from the CBSA or attach my I-94 to support my letter of explanation?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much the information. I will definitely disclose this information. can you tell me what you meant by " consent box in the application allowing IRCC to get CBSA records ". Furthermore, do I have request any documents from the CBSA or attach my I-94 to support my letter of explanation?
Near the end of the PR application, there is a section where you can tick a box that enables IRCC to obtain your CBSA entry/exit records. Some people, mistakenly, assume that this eliminates their need to list their travel history in the application. It does not. The CBSA records will be used to compare/contrast what you list in the application...which is why I mention that you should already have a record of all border crossings within the last 5 years on the day the application is submitted.

Just include a copy of the I-94 with your letter of explanation.