+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mistake in Marriage Certificate in my Wife's name

vshaal420

Jul 25, 2024
I have a spelling mistake in my marriage certificate in my wife's name which was not a fault from our end. My wife's PGWP is expiring in 25 days and I want to start the spousal application to get SOWP as soon as possible to protect her employment. Should I apply for the sponsorship now or wait for the new certificate to arrive, which would take several days? I have already applied for correction in certificate which I am thinking to append later in the application as soon as I receive it. Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have a spelling mistake in my marriage certificate in my wife's name which was not a fault from our end. My wife's PGWP is expiring in 25 days and I want to start the spousal application to get SOWP as soon as possible to protect her employment. Should I apply for the sponsorship now or wait for the new certificate to arrive, which would take several days? I have already applied for correction in certificate which I am thinking to append later in the application as soon as I receive it. Thank you.
I would apply now with evidence you ordered the corrected certificate.

BUT: you say 'several days.' To me that implies it will be quite soon. May be better to wait if it's really not going to be that long. Your call however.

Last edited:

vshaal420

Jul 25, 2024
I would apply now with evidence you ordered the corrected certificate.

BUT: you say 'several days.' To me that implies it will be quite soon. May be better to wait if it's really not going to be that long. Your call however.
Thanks for your response and advice. I meant that it would take around three weeks for the new certificate to arrive, which wouldn't leave much of a gap from the expiration date of my PGWP. So I am thinking to start the application regardless.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your response and advice. I meant that it would take around three weeks for the new certificate to arrive, which wouldn't leave much of a gap from the expiration date of my PGWP. So I am thinking to start the application regardless.
It's up to you. My personal guess is that if it's clearly just a typo and other supporting docs are clear, not likely they'd return for a typo.

If you have anything else from the marriage process (like marriage license) that shows correct spelling, will also support.

Reactions: vshaal420