+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Minors renewing Canada PR

Apr 26, 2017
We become Canada permanent residents some years ago. Unfortunately due to family and work reasons, my wife and I will have to leave Canada soon, so that we will not meet the required 730 days during the last 5 years to renew our Permanent residency cards.

However, our sons will continue in Canada while finishing their school year by June 2019. At that time they will meet the required at least 730 days for renewing their PR cards.
Our elder son will be 18 years old in Aug-2019; he wish to continue his studies in Canada. The younger one will be 16 years old in June-2019.

As most likely CIC will reject my wife and mine applications for renewing our PR cards (due to not meeting the required 730 days), we are thinking in not renewig our PR cards; instead, we are thinking that our sons do the process by themselves as they will meet all the PR requirements.

Hence, those are my questions:
1. Can our sons as minors renew their PR cards by themselves, without somebody sponsoring them ?
If they apply for the renewal 6 months in advance the expiration of their current PR cards, they will be 17 ad 15 years old ...
2. In case, they need to be at leats 18 year old for renewing the PR cards by themselves, could the older one (once he is 18 y.o.) sponsor the yourger one ?
3. What are the options and recommendations for them to keep their PR status ?

Many thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So I am confused given in one of your other posts In April 2017 you said you landed beginning 2017 so given that your PR cards would not expire until 2022. Then in another post implied you landed in 2016 so given that your PR cards would expire 2021. In another post you mentioned a daughter, no mention of any sons.

Anyway

1)based on your other posts then when comes to renewal time one son could be 20/21 and the other 18/19 by 2021 which as said based on your other posts reflects when PR cards would expire. Once 18 they can renew their own cards, before 18 then a parent or guardian would need to sign the application.

2)not sure that would work unless the older one is officially the youngests guardian

3)stay in Canada go to college or get a job and meet the residency obligation and apply for citizenship when able to meet 3 years out of 5 physical presence.

Ultimately though maybe you need to clarify exactly the date you landed and the actual dates the PR cards expire

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if this family ever lived in Canada for any long period of time. If your PR child attended boarding school in Canada you would have likely been a resident for tax purposes. I hope you consulted an accountant. Think the family is trying to make sure the children get to keep their PR. Without more concrete information nobody can give you good advice.

NextCanadian

Jun 8, 2015
Hi; thanks for the answer.
I apologise for the confusion: This post is for a friend of mine who due to job issues, is now moving to a position outside Canada. He asked me to do the question in the forum for him, as he is some busy at the moment. So, there isn't any link with my previous posts ....

And yes, this family has lived in Canada for 1.5 years .... My friend will move in 2 months; his sons will continue studying in Canada and the family will be tax resident because of this link - that's clear. The issue is if their sons (below 18 years old) can apply for renewing their PR by themselves ?

Thanks