+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Memory Palace Technique + Mnemonics for the Canadian Online Citizenship Test

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Huge shoutout and thanks to: @rajkamalmohanram
for this very useful thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/notes-from-discover-canada-preparation-for-the-citizenship-test.734507/

Approach: I am going to exclusively use the information that @rajkamalmohanram provided to build out a complete memory palace.

There will be 6 major areas within one single huge memory palace for the Canadian Citizenship Test
These are the 6 areas.

1. History of Canada
2. Notable Canadian figures
3. Notable Canadian dates
4. Government of Canada
5. Symbols of Canada
6. Province Related Information

Why Mnemonics + Memory Palace Technique Works:

Mnemonics make use of elaborate encoding, retrieval cues, and imagery as specific tools to encode information in a way that allows for efficient storage and retrieval.

Human beings were not built to read from text books and memorize dates/info etc. The first time humans started to write was around 5,500 years ago.
We first existed around 5M to 7M years back. We were evolved to learn and remember from visualization/imagery. The more weird or outlandish the image is the better we will be able to remember them.

The goal here is to help a person prepare for the Canadian Citizenship Test with as little time as possible and also to help them learn and remember the information permanently. i.e instead of placing the information in your short term memory we will push the information directly in the long term memory.

Instead of learning/reading from text you will learn from the images. I will post around 100+ images below and will also thread them in the memory palace.
You should be able to review the images pretty quickly and the goal here is to be able to prep for the test and get 20/20 even if you have less than a day/few hours before the test.

This will be super fun and engaging. If you can dedicate enough time and your normal working memory is really good and you have good self discipline then doing it the normal way should be fine. i.e basically reading through the Discover Canada Guide multiple times and keep revising it + taking online tests etc.

I will keep posting whenever I get some free time but I will definitely finish it within the next 7 days.
If there is no genuine interest in this and nobody is really helped by this then I will ask the moderator to delete this thread.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Step One: Mnemonic Major System Basics:

Please note the following down on a piece of paper and make sure it is in front of you during the exam just in case.
Spend some time on this and try to internalize it. This is critical.

Digit to Sound Mapping
0 => z. (Zero) sound is zee, or zaa
1 => t. (small t has 1 vertical line so it maps to 1) sound is ta or ti etc
2 => n (small n has 2 vertical lines so it maps to 2)
3 => m (small m has 3 vertical lines so it maps to 3)
4 => r. (the word four ends with r so it maps to 4)
5 => L. (extend your left hand and make a shape of L. Now, how many fingers do you see? 5 right! so L maps to 5)
6 => ch (ch like in cheese. the sound is "cha" or "che". The word "cheese" has 6 letters so ch maps to 6)
7 => k. ( Remember the word Kalinga. It has 7 letters so k maps to 7) the sound is strong K. Like Kalinga or Kite etc
8 => f. (small f you can easily convert it into the number 8 if you complete the lower and upper loop. so f maps to 8) The sound is like phone. fa.
9 => p. (p if you flip it over it will look like 9 so p maps to 9). The sound is pa as in papa

Most Important and Critical Rule: You can use vowels (a,e,i,o,u) unlimited number of times. These are fillers and will cement any dates into your mind.

Now, we are all set. We should be able to encode any date easily.

Reactions: angel1719

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Magna Carta also known as Great Charter of Freedoms was signed in 1215 in England

Magna means Great. Carta means Charter. Remember the abbreviation GCF for Great Charter of Freedoms.
1215 => Based on the system translates to:
tntL
You can add as many vowels as possible. So it will further change into:
"tin tail"

Imagine an ancient document (the magna carta) lying on top of a tin which has a tail attached to it.

This should trigger the word "tin tail" in your mind and then you can convert it back into the date. t is 1, n is 2, t is 1 and L is 5. You ignore the vowel sounds while reconverting the word back into the date.

Here is an image for the same. There is a document "the magna carta" that is lying on top of a tin and that tin has a tail.
So, this image should trigger Magna Carta and also the abbreviation GCF and the phrase "tin tail". Imagine a Britisher using the feather to write the document which means that it was written in England.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Habeas corpus, the right to challenge unlawful detention by the state, comes from English common law.

Habeas Corpus = H.C (First letter of each word) = High Court. When you hear the word Habeas Corpus it should automatically trigger H.C or High Court in your mind.

Imagine an innocent baby challenging the unlawful detention by the mickey mouse police offer in High Court with the judge hearing the case.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
The Constitution of Canada was amended in 1982 to entrench the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms

The key word which will trigger the above fact is "amended".

Amended means change.

CC ==> Amended ==> CCRF in 1982.

Basically the word "CC" got amended/changed to "CCRF" CC is Constitution of Canada. CCRF is the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

1982 is
tpfn

or with vowels it will be "tap fan"

Imagine the Queen Elizabeth doing absolutely nothing but just adding the letters RF to the Constitution of Canada.
And there is a huge Tap right next to her and instead of water a red colored fan comes out of it.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
There is no compulsory military service in Canada

Here you have two friends. One chooses to stay home and play video games. The other chooses to join military service.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
Our institutions uphold a commitment to Peace, Order and Good Government, a key phrase in Canada’s original constitutional document in 1867, the British North America Act.

Remember the words "POGG" and "BNAA"

"POGG" => Peace, Order and Good Government
"BNAA" => British North America Act
1867 => "tofu cheek"

1 8 6 7
t f ch k

Imagine a DOG named "POGG" trying to eat a BANANA (BNAA) with TOFU inside its Cheek already.