+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medicare Renewal while spousal sponsorship is on process

Karla Lesly

Nov 30, 2023
Hi,

I just received my AOR for my application for spousal sponsorship, I just want to know if i can renew my Medicare card without working permit extension. My Medicare will expire on January and I'm giving birth on March, I am worried if we will pay the Hospital Fees with the expired Medicare Card,

As well, I want to know if I will be receiving my Maternal Benefits since I have work more than 900 hours this year.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I just received my AOR for my application for spousal sponsorship, I just want to know if i can renew my Medicare card without working permit extension. My Medicare will expire on January and I'm giving birth on March, I am worried if we will pay the Hospital Fees with the expired Medicare Card,

As well, I want to know if I will be receiving my Maternal Benefits since I have work more than 900 hours this year.

Thank you!
What province do you live in? when did you start working and accumulate the 600 hours during 2023?

Reactions: Karla Lesly

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
New Brunswick, I accumulate 900 plus hours this year 2023.
Don’t believe you qualify until you are a PR or have a WP but not as familiar with NB healthcare compared to other programs. The other issue is I believe there is a 3 month wait period to qualify. When you accumulated the 600 hours during 2023 will determine if you qualify for maternity EI. It has to be within 52 weeks if your claim for maternity EI and not in 2023 in general. So you’ll need to have accumulated your hours approximately in the second half. When did you apply for sponsorship? Applications are being processed pretty quickly so as long as long as your application is straightforward with no red flags your could get approved for PR qyuite quickly or you could apply for an OWP after receiving AOR for your sponsorship.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/ei-maternity-parental/eligibility.html