+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical inadmissibility rules changes

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013

@Outworld -
Yes the policy is currently in effect, but the new process might delay the cases when compared to normal processing times (considering the cases will be redirected to Ottawa, due to specialty of the excessive demand)
The immigration minister- Ahmed Hussen has stated, temporarily he is using his authority to enable IRPA 25.2 section to treat the certain excessive demand immigration cases as exemptions until a public policy is made with royal consent later.
Link - http://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/CIMM/report-15/response-8512-421-328

Notes from the above link by minister Ahmed Hussen -
"Pending the coming into force of the regulatory amendments that are needed to implement the changes in the definitions, I plan to use my authority under section 25.2 of IRPA to put into place a public policy. This public policy would allow for the exemption of the excessive demand provision for foreign nationals who meet certain conditions (excessive demand caused by costs related to certain social services; or costs for health or social services that do not exceed three times the current threshold). This will allow us to implement in a timely way the changes that are needed to ensure the alignment of this provision with Canadian values."

Q1. I would like a clarification is that true or the changed rules have been effective since the day of their announcement?(16 April 2018)
I have already created my EE profile and on the day of the upcoming draw I will get ITA. I have plenty of time to accept it and can actually accept it in June.

New changes are in effect post - Apr 16 2018, apply as soon as you can. Since Canada immigration can reverse the triple benefit if they want to later (after analyzing the current results)
Q2 Will in this case my application assessed against the new criteria lets assume those changes will be really effective from June?
Depends on the your PR ITA / time when immigration medical officer reviews your case. Lets say if he reviews before any other changes in rules (might take few months for officials to review cases and come up with new rules/ policies), then yes current revised temporary benefits will apply for your case
Q3 do I need to get ITA during one of the June's draw?

No criteria is mentioned by the IRCC, may depend on when the immigration Medical officer is reviewing your application/ EE draw date. But your ITA would be in future, so you are covered.

I hope this clarifies all your queries.
Hi, could you please clairify to me one thing. My mom had breast cancer stage 2. She is done with her surgery, chemos and radiation. All she is left is with injections and some medications for next 5 years. Per year cost is $8000. She has already applied for Permanent Residecy in express entry. Recently they asked her to submit documents asking about current status of medical condition and what all treatment is left. I'm just wondering will the new rules apply to her as well? Till what amount expenditure per year do they allow? Thanking you in anticipation.

Alien_walkingalone

Jul 9, 2015
Hi ,sorry to hear about your mom’s breast cancer , I have few questions regarding breast cancer ,please if you can answer me ,( my mother also diagnosed with breast cancer stage 2 , she has done with surgery now waiting for the next treatments , ) is your mom right now in Canada or outside ? Did her cancer spread on lump node ?also did you inform cic about her cancer ? I am really worried about my moms treatment , she is in Canada now and I am also waiting for the decision of her application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi ,sorry to hear about your mom’s breast cancer , I have few questions regarding breast cancer ,please if you can answer me ,( my mother also diagnosed with breast cancer stage 2 , she has done with surgery now waiting for the next treatments , ) is your mom right now in Canada or outside ? Did her cancer spread on lump node ?also did you inform cic about her cancer ? I am really worried about my moms treatment , she is in Canada now and I am also waiting for the decision of her application.
There are multiple types of breast cancer so very hard to generalize.

@doylla you will need to provide more details from your mother's oncologist. Assume you received a procedural fairness letter. Given that she seems to have only been in remission recently she is still in a high recurrence period. Would be easier to get approval after 2 years or 5 years. In your calaculations you have to include things like various scans numerous times a year initially plus follow-up doctors appointments.

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Hi,
Yes she is in Canada and she got her treatment done here as well. After surgery they came to know that it has spread in lymph nodes as well.. I think 3 out of 6 were affected but I don't remember for sure. We did not inform Cic until now that she filed for residency. Hope it all goes well for your mom. Is she covered ? My moms coverage had expired because her work permit expired in the middle of chemos. But thankfully we requested for emergency coverage and they gave it to her and till now her treatment went well. Only injections and herceptin left now. I know it is a tough period but have faith in God everything will be fine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Yes she is in Canada and she got her treatment done here as well. After surgery they came to know that it has spread in lymph nodes as well.. I think 3 out of 6 were affected but I don't remember for sure. We did not inform Cic until now that she filed for residency. Hope it all goes well for your mom. Is she covered ? My moms coverage had expired because her work permit expired in the middle of chemos. But thankfully we requested for emergency coverage and they gave it to her and till now her treatment went well. Only injections and herceptin left now. I know it is a tough period but have faith in God everything will be fine.
Your mother was incredibly lucky that her coverage was extended. Herceptin is way over $8k per year. Pretty sure that it is $8k/month.

Alien_walkingalone

Jul 9, 2015
Wow your mom is very lucky , my mom doesn’t have any coverage, she had an insurance from which covered only the surgery and some follow up visits, now it’s expired so the new insurance which I purchased only for emergency situation this won’t cover anything related to cancer treatment, my mom applied for pr based on h&c , she is came here in 2016 , she had been always healthy unfortunately this year 2018 April she discovered the lump which was cancerous, now she needs radiation and some other test everything I am paying from my pocket. We are not sure about chemo but I hope not otherwise it going to cost huge amount , only radiation would cost 18k for 30 treatments. I informed cic but they told me her treatment is on going so they can’t prioritize her application now the insurance expired and refused for further treatment i am thinking to inform cic , my mom’s cancer is curable. I don’t know when how long it will take to get her AIP , application is still in process. I often worry won’t it affect on her file or not , but she is getting better treatment here and doctors are very helpful . Still I worried because it’s very expensive and it’s not regular expenses , it’s more than I can afford . Btw which province do you live ? Thank you very much so for sharing your mom’s history with me , I wish her speed recovery .

doylia

Star Member
Jan 10, 2013
Wow your mom is very lucky , my mom doesn’t have any coverage, she had an insurance from which covered only the surgery and some follow up visits, now it’s expired so the new insurance which I purchased only for emergency situation this won’t cover anything related to cancer treatment, my mom applied for pr based on h&c , she is came here in 2016 , she had been always healthy unfortunately this year 2018 April she discovered the lump which was cancerous, now she needs radiation and some other test everything I am paying from my pocket. We are not sure about chemo but I hope not otherwise it going to cost huge amount , only radiation would cost 18k for 30 treatments. I informed cic but they told me her treatment is on going so they can’t prioritize her application now the insurance expired and refused for further treatment i am thinking to inform cic , my mom’s cancer is curable. I don’t know when how long it will take to get her AIP , application is still in process. I often worry won’t it affect on her file or not , but she is getting better treatment here and doctors are very helpful . Still I worried because it’s very expensive and it’s not regular expenses , it’s more than I can afford . Btw which province do you live ? Thank you very much so for sharing your mom’s history with me , I wish her speed recovery .
I know it's just so sad .. because even my mom had NO HEALTH ISSUES at all.. n all of a sudden she discovers this lump which turned our whole life updside down! Initially we thought it was only going to be a surgery but who knew we were heading into such a long n dreadful treatment. She had 8 chemos and then 16 radiations. She also got a port inserted in her chest to get all the chemos so they do not have to inject from veins. That was another surgery itself and she is still to keep that until March 2019 after which she can get it removed since herceptin will be over. We live in BC.. My mom is on work permit that's why she had her MSP coverage from before her treatment started and I think that's why they gave extended coverage which they gave us on a condition that if ur work permit does not extend in future then we will have to reimburse all the expenses to them. But thankfully it got extended. Initially everyone told us it will not get extended coz it's a rule to have valid work permit beforehand and only then u can get extension. But we kept trying every option as we knew there had to be a way. Just be positive .. there is a way which you just need to find. Your moms treatment is the most important at the moment and there should be no delay in any of the steps. My mom delayed her surgery fr about a month and her stage went from 1 to 2. I wish it stayed at stage 1 and she never had to go through chemos!! And about file I'm not sure coz I am myself worried about it that it shouldn't have effect on my mom's file. Sending prayers for your mom as well.. and hope you find a way out soon.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know it's just so sad .. because even my mom had NO HEALTH ISSUES at all.. n all of a sudden she discovers this lump which turned our whole life updside down! Initially we thought it was only going to be a surgery but who knew we were heading into such a long n dreadful treatment. She had 8 chemos and then 16 radiations. She also got a port inserted in her chest to get all the chemos so they do not have to inject from veins. That was another surgery itself and she is still to keep that until March 2019 after which she can get it removed since herceptin will be over. We live in BC.. My mom is on work permit that's why she had her MSP coverage from before her treatment started and I think that's why they gave extended coverage which they gave us on a condition that if ur work permit does not extend in future then we will have to reimburse all the expenses to them. But thankfully it got extended. Initially everyone told us it will not get extended coz it's a rule to have valid work permit beforehand and only then u can get extension. But we kept trying every option as we knew there had to be a way. Just be positive .. there is a way which you just need to find. Your moms treatment is the most important at the moment and there should be no delay in any of the steps. My mom delayed her surgery fr about a month and her stage went from 1 to 2. I wish it stayed at stage 1 and she never had to go through chemos!! And about file I'm not sure coz I am myself worried about it that it shouldn't have effect on my mom's file. Sending prayers for your mom as well.. and hope you find a way out soon.
Yet again your mother got incredibly lucky. She must have had good employers willing to fight for her or has been in Canada for a long time. Would warn you that the high cost of her care may unfortunately become an issue during her PR application. It seems like it already has if you have received a procedural fairness letter and the government has all her medical costs from MSP.

Medwizkid

Jul 27, 2018
Hello
I am in Canada on a work permit.
Here is my issue. I have Ankylosing spondylitis (For which I was not on any medication for) which I didn't mention on the medical on the way here. The doctor didn't ask me and I didn't know the rules well I didn't do it intentionally. He was brief and asked you feel fine right and I did. He did the blood pressure and told me to do the tests then done. Fast forward a year later it gets active I am on meds that cost 19,400 a year my outpatient insurance covers this. I want to apply for PR. Will the Dr doing the exam here have access to my records. My condition is impossible to diagnose unless they are very observant and of course have read my chart.

Second my wife got Tuberculosis while here and is on treatment for that month 2 out of 6. My current permit is done in November 2018. My score on express entry is 490.

What should I do. Declare all or hold my peace.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I am in Canada on a work permit.
Here is my issue. I have Ankylosing spondylitis (For which I was not on any medication for) which I didn't mention on the medical on the way here. The doctor didn't ask me and I didn't know the rules well I didn't do it intentionally. He was brief and asked you feel fine right and I did. He did the blood pressure and told me to do the tests then done. Fast forward a year later it gets active I am on meds that cost 19,400 a year my outpatient insurance covers this. I want to apply for PR. Will the Dr doing the exam here have access to my records. My condition is impossible to diagnose unless they are very observant and of course have read my chart.

Second my wife got Tuberculosis while here and is on treatment for that month 2 out of 6. My current permit is done in November 2018. My score on express entry is 490.

What should I do. Declare all or hold my peace.
Yes CIC will have access to your medical costs so there is no point in trying to hide your condition. Unfortunately I would be prepared for a procedural fairness letter. Your wife got TB in Canada? That is extremely rare unless living on a reservation in crowded housing or working with TB population without precautions.

Medwizkid

Jul 27, 2018
Yes CIC will have access to your medical costs so there is no point in trying to hide your condition. Unfortunately I would be prepared for a procedural fairness letter. Your wife got TB in Canada? That is extremely rare unless living on a reservation in crowded housing or working with TB population without precautions.
We are not in a high risk place we live in a decent place.. The Drs where baffled too.
So with the cost of my current treatment what are my options. A lawyer (immigration) told me they do not have access to my records so I am very confused.
Sorry I have many questions
1. If I am below the threshold then why would I get the letter.
2. Will me not mentioning it before be an issue.Again not intentional.
3. I can get the meds my self from India for 2600 a year drugs here are overpriced can that be my response to the letter but those biosimilars are not registered here.

How should I proceed or I just go home.

Medwizkid

Jul 27, 2018
We are not in a high risk place we live in a decent place.. The Drs where baffled too.
So with the cost of my current treatment what are my options. A lawyer (immigration) told me they do not have access to my records so I am very confused.
3. I can get the meds my self from India for 2600 a year drugs here are overpriced can that be my response to the letter but those biosimilars are not registered here.

My meds are outpatient.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You'll have to wait and see what happens. Would imagine your liver function and inflammation markers will also show the presence of an autoimmune disorder and your use of biologicals (l assume that's what you're taking). Would wait and see what they bring up. You are only allowed to import a 90 day supply of medication with you. You can't ship the medication. Private insurance can end so you can't use that as a reason. You can see if any medication is going to be available in generic form. Yes a lawyer who specializes in medical inadmissibility would be a good option if you want to remain in Canada if you receive a procedural fairness letter. The letter is your chance to convince CIC that they shouldn't reject you. Would also research other cases with autoimmune disorders.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

just to stress what Canuck 78 said in that Canadian residents are not legally allowed to import prescription drugs by mail or courier so obtaining from India not an option .See section 6 figure 2 in link below

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/compliance-enforcement/importation-exportation/guidance-document-import-requirements-health-products-under-food-drugs-act-regulations-0084.html

Medwizkid

Jul 27, 2018
You'll have to wait and see what happens. Would imagine your liver function and inflammation markers will also show the presence of an autoimmune disorder and your use of biologicals (l assume that's what you're taking). Would wait and see what they bring up. You are only allowed to import a 90 day supply of medication with you. You can't ship the medication. Private insurance can end so you can't use that as a reason. You can see if any medication is going to be available in generic form. Yes a lawyer who specializes in medical inadmissibility would be a good option if you want to remain in Canada if you receive a procedural fairness letter. The letter is your chance to convince CIC that they shouldn't reject you. Would also research other cases with autoimmune disorders.
My blood work is perfect.
No generics soon.
Any links