+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical gap in continuous work experience

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
I have a similar situation.
Started working with the current organisation in Jan 2011 and continued till August 2016. Took a 10 months break for personal reasons and re-joined the same organisation in July 2017. So I do meet the continuous work experience requirement, should I have created 2 entries while filling out the EE profile? I entered the start date as Jan 2011 and ticked the box indicating "this is my current job" (which is true if you see). However in my reference letters, my employer has clearly mentioned that I was on a break during that period and there was no change as such in my designation or salary after I re-joined.

Should this be a problem?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Started working with the current organisation in Jan 2011 and continued till August 2016. Took a 10 months break for personal reasons and re-joined the same organisation in July 2017. So I do meet the continuous work experience requirement, should I have created 2 entries while filling out the EE profile? I entered the start date as Jan 2011 and ticked the box indicating "this is my current job" (which is true if you see). However in my reference letters, my employer has clearly mentioned that I was on a break during that period and there was no change as such in my designation or salary after I re-joined.

Create two entries, right now you're claiming those 10 months as work experience.

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Create two entries, right now you're claiming those 10 months as work experience.
But I received ITA recently. Can I change the dates in e-Apr? or should I decline the invite and then change? My CRS is 471 and cut off was 433 in the draw I got ITA.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But I received ITA recently. Can I change the dates in e-Apr? or should I decline the invite and then change? My CRS is 471 and cut off was 433 in the draw I got ITA.
You can make the change now assuming it doesn't affect your eligibility (if FSW applicant), explain the change in a LOE.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017

Its fine, you will have no issues. just add an LOE updating Cic about your break and upload the relevant medical documents alongwith to substantiate

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
Its fine, you will have no issues. just add an LOE updating Cic about your break and upload the relevant medical documents alongwith to substantiate
It was not a medical break. I just needed a bit of a breather and also signed up for further studies and started with them (although that's distance education). So it was more of a study break. Technically I never left the job as such. Its mentioned as Unpaid leave in my employer's letter.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
It was not a medical break. I just needed a bit of a breather and also signed up for further studies and started with them (although that's distance education). So it was more of a study break.
should be ok. anyways you're CRS isn't getting affected by it, cause you're above the three yrs cap. plus your employer has acknowledged it. just add the LOE so Cic knows you're being transparent

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
You can make the change now assuming it doesn't affect your eligibility (if FSW applicant), explain the change in a LOE.
Thanks. Also, I never left that job as such. It was an unpaid leave. I can get the employer letter changed to mention it as Unpaid Leave instead of a break. Thats not a problem.

mrangwala

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
LANDED..........
01-05-2019
I also have 3 month medical leave but my medical leave was paid leave with no loss or reduction of pay. Does it still constitute as break in "1 year continuous employment" rule?

Jul 1, 2018
Hi guys i have kind of case in my work experience , i have 2 concerns
I have total 5 years of experience with 3 years working as a teaching assistant during my masters (August 2013 - July 2016) and after that I am working in same university as Assistant professor till date with 6 months gap for my Phd classes (August 2017 - December 2017)
1. My masters experience will be counted as full time or part time ?
2. Does gap in my experience effect my process ?