+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam - spinal fusion

PaulIII

Aug 22, 2007
Hi, Does anybody know, if a successful one level spinal fusion (done 3 years ago) could be reason for inadmissibility? I don’t think any future treatment is needed – I’m doing just fine and I’m pain free. However, should unexpected needs for future treatment arise, all expenses will be 100% covered by an insurance company (it was a workman’s comp. case).
Tnx for your help!

PaulIII

Aug 22, 2007
Thaiguy, Eduardo, thanks for the help! I understand it is not contagious, what about “excessive demand on health or social services”? Can they argue, that a fused disc could damage the next one, because there is more stress on the adjacent disc(s) – there is a theory about that, even dough not 100% proved? In addition, the doctor who will perform the exam has to check on the form, either box A, B, C or D. “D” is the worst case scenario. “D” – “Other conditions/disorders difficult to categorize OR where there is a lack of sufficient medical information”. At the moment I’m in Europe and I am trying to obtain medical report from my doctor in the USA, and after talking numerous of times with the staff there they haven’t sent me the report yet. I’m running out of time and looks like I will not get it before the exam. I have prepared a letter explaining all the treatment I have received and I’m also providing contact info about my doctor and the insurance company covering the expenses, in case there is a need to verify this info. Do you thing such a letter is needed, or can only delay the whole process should CIC decided to verify the info?

Thanks again and sorry for the long post!!!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
PaulIII

I don't think your condition results in excessive demand because it's not necessarily progressive. Second, just because a doctor makes note of your condition (which they're supposed to, anyway) doesn't mean it will disqualify you.

You don't need to provide a report from your doctor concerning your condition. The physician doing your exam will handle all the testing necessary. He/she will ask for details of any surgery you had that required overnight hospitalization. And since you've had some surgery, you'll tell him/her about it. You may also be asked to have your spine x-rayed in addition to your chest (which they do anyway).

But honestly, I think there's nothing to worry about.

PaulIII

Aug 22, 2007
Thaiguy, thank you one more time!
I also forgot to mention, if that makes any difference, that I am not the principal – my wife is.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, it makes a difference. The spouse and dependents of the primary applicant are waived from the excessive demand criteria. So unless there's something we don't know about, you're free and clear, Buddy.

Good luck!

PaulIII

Aug 22, 2007
Thank you, Thaiguy, but according to PMM “excessive demand is only waived for spousal applicants or dependent children of Canadian residents, not for skilled workers applicants":

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/medically-inadmissible-t5533.0.html

Which one is truth?

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
PaulIII said:
Thank you, Thaiguy, but according to PMM “excessive demand is only waived for spousal applicants or dependent children of Canadian residents, not for skilled workers applicants":

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/medically-inadmissible-t5533.0.html

Which one is truth?
You didn't mention in any of your earlier posts under what category you are applying - you have only said that your wife is the principal applicant. We do not know whether your wife is a Canadian or Canadian Permanent Resident, or whether your application is under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

So, it is not a matter of truth because CIC does waive the "excessive demand" for sponsorship of spouses and /or dependents.

Therefore, the crux of the matter lies in what CIC considers as "excessive demand." And this they do on a case by case basis depending on so many other factors.

Even though your son's condition is not expressedly mentioned by CIC - it depends on how CIC interpretes your son's condition around their medical policies. I doubt if anybody at this forum has an exclusive knowledge of the entirety of CIC's medical policies.

Providing CIC directly with a report from your doctor is not necessary, but might be desirable as an additional opinion to aid CIC in making an unbiased decision. Providing this report is entirely up to you if you know that your doctor is objective in his /her analyses. After all, your doctor knows his patient better and knows what future medical attention /procedures your son might be needing either in the short-term or long-term, and such information should be mentioned in any medical report that you might personally submit to CIC.

I know that most applicants are tight on funds including myself, but I always encourage immigration applicants with unique situations to consider talking to a lawyer even if they don't want to retain the lawyer.

A credible immigration lawyer who has been practising for quite a while should be able to answer your question based on their experiences of handling such cases over the years.

Do not talk to the paralegals on this one - make the appointment to talk to the lead lawyer /partner. Politely insist if necessary to talk to the lead lawyer or partner. You might only do one consultation or at least two, which will be on an average $100 CDN or $200 CDN. I think on an average, each consultation is 30 minutes long.

Be well prepared with all pertinent questions that you have including what treatments your son might be needing in the future according to your son's doctor(s) reports. Such a sacrifice is worth undergoing in order to assist you with your decisions.

If you decide to talk with a lawyer, remember to ask whether submitting a medical report from your son's doctor(s) might work in your favor or not.

I leave you with a renowned quote: "It is better to be penny wise than pound foolish."

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Libra said:
A credible immigration lawyer who has been practising for quite a while should be able to answer your question based on their experiences of handling such cases over the years.

Do not talk to the paralegals on this one - make the appointment to talk to the lead lawyer /partner. Politely insist if necessary to talk to the lead lawyer or partner. You might only do one consultation or at least two, which will be on an average $100 CDN or $200 CDN. I think on an average, each consultation is 30 minutes long.
Excellent advice.

gerry

Aug 26, 2007
Re: Medical exam

DOES ANY ONE KNOW.. MYSELF AND MY FAMILY ARE THINKING OF IMMIGRAN TO CANADA.I HAVE A VALID FULL UK DRIVING LISCENSE AND SAT AN HGV TEST FOR DRIVING ARTICULATED LORRIES /TRUCKS IN DUBLIN ,IRELAND ..DO I NEED TO TAKE ANOTHER TEST IN CANADA AND IF SO WHAT DOES THE TEST CONSIST OF........ANY ONE ADV