+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical exam for common-law partner who a Canadian citizen

adamodef

Feb 29, 2016
Hi everyone !!

Ive received my ITA recently and I'd like to ask does my common-low patner who is a Canadian Citizen need medical exam and Police certificate ?
She has a daughter and son who over 18 years old and also Canadian Citizens. Do they need any of these ?

Pls, help !!

Thank you so much !!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

No, Canadian family members don't need to do medicals or get PCCs.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
adamodef said:
Hi everyone !!

Ive received my ITA recently and I'd like to ask does my common-low patner who is a Canadian Citizen need medical exam and Police certificate ?
She has a daughter and son who over 18 years old and also Canadian Citizens. Do they need any of these ?
No. Because they are Canadian Citizens, you do not include your CLP in the application, and she is not required to provide any documents. Adult children of your CLP are not part of the application in any case. You should list your common law partner on your "additional family information form," however, and perhaps write a brief letter of explanation that you have a common law partner, she is a Canadian citizen, and provide a copy of either her passport or birth certificate.

adamodef

Feb 29, 2016
First of all, Id like to say thank you to both of you those valuable answers.

Second of all, JES under application/profile details of my common-law of the anwswer of this:
- Will this person accompany ....... to Canada? NO
- Please explain why not She is a Canadian Citizen

I believe that is a quiet good enough answer, Isn't it ?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
adamodef said:
First of all, Id like to say thank you to both of you those valuable answers.

Second of all, JES under application/profile details of my common-law of the anwswer of this:
- Will this person accompany ....... to Canada? NO
- Please explain why not She is a Canadian Citizen

I believe that is a quiet good enough answer, Isn't it ?
OK, let's back up. It sounds like you included your CLP in the profile, so first, let's talk about the the profile.
There is a section under Personal Details called "Relatives in Canada." Spouse/Partner is a relative - did you indicate there that your partner is a Canadian citizen?

Now, since you have your ITA - you should have a personalized document checklist - does the checklist ask for documents for your spouse?

eqrkim

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
EE BC Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 17
IELTS Request
Sep 01
Med's Done....
Sept 01 (Med Pass)
jes_ON said:
OK, let's back up. It sounds like you included your CLP in the profile, so first, let's talk about the the profile.
There is a section under Personal Details called "Relatives in Canada." Spouse/Partner is a relative - did you indicate there that your partner is a Canadian citizen?

Now, since you have your ITA - you should have a personalized document checklist - does the checklist ask for documents for your spouse?
Hi Jes,

I am in a same situation here, so I received ITA (under CEC) and my wife has PR.
Nowhere in my document checklist (IMM 5610) says I will need a medical exam. However, everyone and CIC website says that I will need a medical exam to complete my application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp)

As usual, CIC does not clearly state how to proceed when a spouse is PR or a citizen. Do you think I can just omit my spouse's medical exam and write a note saying she already has PR?

Also, do you have chance to know about a police certificate for applicant who is already in Canada? Someone says CIC can access a criminal records in Canada, so we wouldn't need it. (I already have a certificate but it says "search not confirmed by fingerprints" .. so I assume I got an incorrect certificate?

Any advise would be appreciated!!! Thanks and have a great day!

adaytoremember

Sep 18, 2014
My wife (common law at time of application) is a Canadian citizen. At the start of my application, I mentioned that she is a citizen and included a copy of her passport and birth certificate. I didn't fill out the Common Law Declaration (I forget the exact name/number of the form) because she was not part of my application, but CIC requested it anyway. However, by then we were married, so I sent them our marriage certificate. She did not need to do medicals or anything like that.

eqrkim

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
EE BC Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Aug 17
IELTS Request
Sep 01
Med's Done....
Sept 01 (Med Pass)
adaytoremember said:
My wife (common law at time of application) is a Canadian citizen. At the start of my application, I mentioned that she is a citizen and included a copy of her passport and birth certificate. I didn't fill out the Common Law Declaration (I forget the exact name/number of the form) because she was not part of my application, but CIC requested it anyway. However, by then we were married, so I sent them our marriage certificate. She did not need to do medicals or anything like that.
Thanks Adaytoremember! I guess I should fill out the common law declaration form though

springtulip

Jan 27, 2018
My express entry application has been 10months now and some ill-formed agent keeps asking for my canadian citizen husband to provide medical examination results. We have explained it multple times that he doesnt need it. Its like talking to a wall with them. I hope someone sensible can review the application.