+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical during pregnancy

Golaka

May 1, 2012
Hi ! Does anyone know how to pass medical exam during pregnancy for family sponsorship? I'm not sure if I can do x-ray, but otherwise they will put me on hold. I want to give a birth in Canada, how can I receive PR faster?
Thanks

jmforever

Jul 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
File Transfer...
04-06-2012
Med's Request
05-09-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
05-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
Soon
I had my medical examination 2 months ago, when i was 5 months pregnant, you just have to let them know that you are pregnant. They put protected shield on my tummy during x ray. And the Canadian Embassy knows that I am pregnant because my husband sent a a letter to them, I am planning to give birth in Canada but until now I am still waiting for my passport with visa.

annabruce

Jan 15, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received: 01-11-2010
File Transfer...
09-10-2012 (Ottawa)
Med's Done....
30-11-2011, x-ray delayed (pregnancy), redone on August 31, 2012
My wife Anna went through this same issue. There simply is no way to avoid the x-ray. You must do it. You need to make a choice about how much risk you're willing to take. The risk is low with appropriate protection, but there is risk nontheless. Anna and I chose not to take the risk. We decided that if our child was born with a problem we would struggle to deal with the guilt. We would never know whether or not the x-ray caused the problem.

We did the medical without the x-ray and sent this to CIC with a note indicating Anna was pregnant and we would do the x-ray at a later date. Because of the lengthy process of the inland application, I'm not convinced that delaying the x-ray until after birth made any difference at all to the timeline. No way to know for sure. We did the x-ray one month after she gave birth. She landed about 3 months later.

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2nd, 2014 EH! :-D
annabruce said:
We did the medical without the x-ray and sent this to CIC with a note indicating Anna was pregnant and we would do the x-ray at a later date. Because of the lengthy process of the inland application, I'm not convinced that delaying the x-ray until after birth made any difference at all to the timeline. No way to know for sure. We did the x-ray one month after she gave birth. She landed about 3 months later.
That's excellent advice annabruce. The research on x-ray radiation shows that the further along in the pregnancy the patient is the less harmful it is to the baby. In the first trimester there is the most possibility for the most harm to the baby because the cells are still differentiating and the cells are dividing very rapidly during this time. Cell damage from radiation is more likely to occur during cell division because that is when the cell is most vulnerable and the damage to chromosomes can do more damage. In the third trimester, the cell divisions are slowing down, but are still at a rapid rate compared to adults, and the possible damage to organs and cells is long term, which means it might not show up until years later when the damage shows up at a later age, and there is no way to be able to determine if it will happen.

True about shielding being used, but it only shields the direct beam, which we try to avoid shooting directly at the abdomen when taking a chest xray anyway. The most radiation will come from scatter radiation from the patient (yourself) as the radiation enters into your body and bounces around inside you, and there is no way to shield for that.

NicAnn

Oct 9, 2012
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
March 24 2013
AOR Received.
April 17 2013
File Transfer...
April 22 2013
Med's Request
extended 1 yr
Med's Done....
Dec 15 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 10, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
COPR Jan 21, 2014
LANDED..........
Feb 2nd, 2014 EH! :-D
Shielding mostly gives the appearance of helping shield the baby/reproductive organs. It really does very little to protect from radiation unless the tech is terrible at aiming only to the area that needs xraying (the chest) and has the field wide open to include areas being shielded. Proper collimation is better than shielding, but best yet to wait until after birth of baby.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Golaka said:
Hi ! Does anyone know how to pass medical exam during pregnancy for family sponsorship? I'm not sure if I can do x-ray, but otherwise they will put me on hold. I want to give a birth in Canada, how can I receive PR faster?
Thanks
I agree with the advice from NicAnn and annabruce. It would really be better to not have the x-ray while pregnant. This does mean they will wait to finish processing your file until after the birth when you can send in the x-ray. However, even if you had the x-ray now, you still probably would not get PR in time to give birth in Canada. This would depend on what visa office you're going through and how far along your pregnancy is.

lioha

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We were going through the same dilemma when we did our medical with my pregnant wife's sponsorship. We chose not to do an X-ray. All the paperwork went through Missisauga for sponsor approval and is now at the Visa Office in Warsaw, Poland. My wife got an email not long ago to send to the Visa Office the birth certificate of our child when our daughter is born and to do an x-ray. They attached a letter to the doctor for my wife to perform an x-ray only. So really, it dealys your application by a couple of months maybe but you avoid the risk for your child which is crucial. My wife gives birth this month and right after we are doing an x-ray and it goes to the VO. :)