+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Medical disclosure after receiving PR status

bkhan

Sep 23, 2015
I had applied as a Federal Skilled Worker last year and have already received my permanent resident visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

I will be flying to Canada in two weeks.

I have had an excellent educational and employment record. I had completed my undergraduate studies in Canada. I will be carrying all of my original documents with me to Canada, including proof of settlement funds. For this reason, I don't think there will be any issues at the port of entry.

I have had bipolar disorder since 2003 and have been on medications since. There were major ups and downs in my mental health condition between 2003 and 2005 that seriously affected my professional life and career. But, my mental health has been stable since. I have been living a productive life for more than a decade now.

Patients of bipolar disorder must undergo long-term psychiatric treatment, possibly spanning a lifetime, as there is no cure for bipolar disorder. But, with treatment, patients of bipolar disorder can lead full and productive lives.

Due to fear of refusal, I didn't disclose my bipolar disorder on my immigration application. I didn't disclose it during my medical examination either. I have been lucky that I passed the medical examination without a problem and have now been issued my permanent resident visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

The surveillance code on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence is 1.

I didn't realize back then, but now I am realizing that I have put myself in a very tough position as I will have to reveal my bipolar disorder to medical practitioners in Canada to ensure that I receive the best health care.

Even though I have heard that a patient's medical information in Canada is strictly confidential, I would like to verify that my permanent resident status in Canada won't be at stake once I have already entered Canada as a permanent resident. My fear is that my condition, blood tests and prescription medications will be maintained in an electronic health record, which is supposed to be confidential.

Anybody has any idea whether this is something I shouldn't lose sleep over or if it is indeed a matter of concern.

Thank you.

khurrambhatti

Star Member
May 31, 2014
Toronto - Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-11-2014
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Request
18-08-2015
Med's Done....
01-09-2015
Passport Req..
10-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
09-09-2015
LANDED..........
01-05-2016
bkhan said:
I had applied as a Federal Skilled Worker last year and have already received my permanent resident visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

I will be flying to Canada in two weeks.

I have had an excellent educational and employment record. I had completed my undergraduate studies in Canada. I will be carrying all of my original documents with me to Canada, including proof of settlement funds. For this reason, I don't think there will be any issues at the port of entry.

I have had bipolar disorder since 2003 and have been on medications since. There were major ups and downs in my mental health condition between 2003 and 2005 that seriously affected my professional life and career. But, my mental health has been stable since. I have been living a productive life for more than a decade now.

Patients of bipolar disorder must undergo long-term psychiatric treatment, possibly spanning a lifetime, as there is no cure for bipolar disorder. But, with treatment, patients of bipolar disorder can lead full and productive lives.

Due to fear of refusal, I didn't disclose my bipolar disorder on my immigration application. I didn't disclose it during my medical examination either. I have been lucky that I passed the medical examination without a problem and have now been issued my permanent resident visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

The surveillance code on my Confirmation of Permanent Residence is 1.

I didn't realize back then, but now I am realizing that I have put myself in a very tough position as I will have to reveal my bipolar disorder to medical practitioners in Canada to ensure that I receive the best health care.

Even though I have heard that a patient's medical information in Canada is strictly confidential, I would like to verify that my permanent resident status in Canada won't be at stake once I have already entered Canada as a permanent resident. My fear is that my condition, blood tests and prescription medications will be maintained in an electronic health record, which is supposed to be confidential.

Anybody has any idea whether this is something I shouldn't lose sleep over or if it is indeed a matter of concern.

Thank you.

Let me share my experience.

I am dealing with Epilepsy, but completely controlled using regular medicine. When I got MR, several people told me that do not disclose Epilepsy during medical examination, because once I clear the medical examination, there will be no any issue when I will consult with doctor and inform him about my medical history in Canada.

But I consult with my doctor before MR and he told me that do not hide anything, because controlled Epilepsy is not an issue and accordingly I disclose my condition in medical examination, and luckily everything went fine and I got visa last week.

As far as your case is concern, I think there will be no any issue, but I am not sure about it because I dont know about their rules.

My case is different than you but I share it here so that it my help anyone else.

Good luck !!

bkhan

Sep 23, 2015
Thank you for sharing your experience. It helped, knowing that most would agree that there will be no issues.

I would love to hear a story similar to mine, where the medical condition wasn't disclosed to CIC, and it was disclosed to medical practitioners in Canada after receiving PR status.

LVFrancies

Apr 14, 2016
Hi brother,

I am also in similar situation as yours,Are you in Canada already?How you managing this issue?Is it a really serious concerns.Please advice.

Regards
Francis

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
misrepresentation is taken very seriously. In your family's case the blood panel with show irregular values that you have posted so you will be caught in your lie.

Roop13

Jul 3, 2018
Hi brother,

I am also in similar situation as yours,Are you in Canada already?How you managing this issue?Is it a really serious concerns.Please advice.

Regards
Francis
Hi
Whats your experience after this. Please share, it would be helpful for me.

Roop13

Jul 3, 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. It helped, knowing that most would agree that there will be no issues.

I would love to hear a story similar to mine, where the medical condition wasn't disclosed to CIC, and it was disclosed to medical practitioners in Canada after receiving PR status.
Hi
Whats your experience after this. Please share, it would be helpful for me.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
ROOP13 just because it seems based on the above posts that someone has committed misrepresentation / broken immigration law by not declaring some medical conditions does not mean that anyone else should consider doing the same given being found out either during the process or later there could be a penalty to pay.

Being a PR is a privilege that in theory can be taken away at any time should something be discovered later on. Everyone is entitled to make a their own decision but should also be prepared to accept the consequences and if a medical condition disqualifies someone from immigration then so be it.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
You can be stripped of your permanent residency or even your citizenship if you were found to have committed misrepresentation or fraud in your application.