+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

medical appointment

anaisophie

Sep 30, 2011
I downloaded the part 3 of the forms, the one that refers to my region (West Europe)
There is a page called appendix C, to give to the Doctor at the medical appointment and they say check the guide 2 IMM3999 for further information about the medical appointment...

I know that the forms have changed on july.... and I dont find any information about it there.
I looked on the web site of CIC, and I found information for medical appointment but they say
"Medical Examination Instructions
Instructions on how to take the medical examination will normally be sent to you after you submit your application to the visa office."

So I understand that I dont have to send the appendix C of the 3d form with my first application???
Why then would they add this document to the form????

I am very confused...

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
That applies if you are being sponsored as a family member or applying as a skilled worker or one of the economic classes. If you are sponsoring as a spouse, you need to make an appointment with a designated medical practitioner, take the Appendix C to your medical, and you will get proof of the exam being done from your doctor. In spousal sponsorships, the medical is submitted WITH the application, not afterwards.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Hello!

I have a problem with the medical exam as well.

I had understood as CharlieD said, that I have to send my medical exam WITH the application. So I called DMP to make an appointment, but they said they cannot even make an appointment unless I have been give a form 1017 (I think that was the number) by the Canadian immigration? ??? So obviously I don't have that form and on the website it does say that the instructions will be sent AFTER you have sent the sponsorship application... So what on earth am I supposed to do!

And to stir things up, I might be going to Canada shortly after we file the application. So if I don't get my medicals before, I guess I'll do it in Canada then...?

I'm in Australia currently and plan to do my medical here, even though I would belong to the West Europe group otherwise.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
*sigh* Explain to whomever you talked to at the doctor's office that this is a spousal application, you are required to do the medical upfront in order to submit it WITH your application. If you can't get them to understand that, then do it when you are in Canada, perhaps you may be better able to find there a DMP who has actually read their handbook lately!

Please refer them to the Handbook, Section 11.1, the fourth form from the top is the IMM1017 EFC plus the Appendix C (which you will take with you) and clearly says under Instructions: "The IMM 1017 EFC is used by DMPs for up-front medical exams. It is used when an applicant presents a completed Appendix C – Medical Instructions form." and says under Usage: "Sponsored applicants processed outside Canada (also excessive demand exempt)."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/dmp-handbook/section-11.asp

greenish

Star Member
Sep 3, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks CharlieD 10, very helpful link!
Just to clarify, when you do the medical upfront, you need to take 2 photographs (and the filled out appendix C medical form of course) to the examination, correct?
It's not very clear in the handbook. It only says that DMPs in Canada might have to attach photographs provided by the applicant but it would be logical that you need to provide photographs for any upfront medical, regardless of where it's performed.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Thanks indeed for clearing that up.

Note for greenish, in Australia I was told that I need at least 5 photographs, but they didn't seem to know much about things ;)

So in theory I can send my application from Oz without the medical exam, enter Canada as a visitor and then they would tell me to go get my medical in Canada -correct?

Thanks a lot -again... :)

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
CharlieD: I tried calling the DMP office again and attempted to be very firm about it and explain that they need to have the form. No dice. They still insisted that it's a stamped form that I need to get from Canada and that they only have forms 4519 or something similar.

So, if I do not send my medicals with my application, what will happen?
If I just add a note saying my DMP wouldn't see me without the form they should provide, I couldn't have my medical.. Would this considerably affect the processing time of my application? As I think I mentioned, I will be in Canada soon after sending my application so I could hopefully just avoid this particular DMP (and the AUD$450 fee!) and get in Canada when requested.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Report the doctor to the CHC by way of a fax or general email. Explain that you attempted to utilise their services as a listed DMP, and they refused to accomodate you by claiming you needed to bring the form instead of the completed Appendix. At the very least, this should alert the visa office that someone to whom they are referring persons lacks the necessary understanding to perform his role adequately and in a professional manner.

Do your medical in Canada when you get there. You MUST send the medical with the application, it will be returned to you if you send it without one, even if you explain that the doctor you went to wouldn't do the medical. It's up to you as the applicant to comply with all the requirements, no matter how inconvenient it may be to do so. The delay to ensure it is complete when you send it will far outweigh the additional delay if you send it without it and it is returned to you as incomplete because you have left out a vital requirement.

Besides, if you have to wait until you are in Canada to do the medical and then send the application, it will be cheaper to send it, so one balances out the other! :)

easykiwi

Star Member
Oct 5, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
AOR Received.
13-12-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
11-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2012
LANDED..........
24-02-2012
Pätkis said:
CharlieD: I tried calling the DMP office again and attempted to be very firm about it and explain that they need to have the form. No dice. They still insisted that it's a stamped form that I need to get from Canada and that they only have forms 4519 or something similar.

So, if I do not send my medicals with my application, what will happen?
If I just add a note saying my DMP wouldn't see me without the form they should provide, I couldn't have my medical.. Would this considerably affect the processing time of my application? As I think I mentioned, I will be in Canada soon after sending my application so I could hopefully just avoid this particular DMP (and the AUD$450 fee!) and get in Canada when requested.
Hi again Pätkis,

I believe from another question of yours I responded to that you will be using the Sydney visa office also.

As far as I know outland applications require medical exams to be performed prior to applications being submitted so the appropriate forms can be sent with the application. This aids identifying medical exam results once they are all tranferred from Mississauga to the Visa Office, as the medical exam results get transferred separately. The checklist in the Region Specific guide for South East Asia and Pacific says the form from the DMP needs to be included. My thoughts are there is a risk your PR application may be delayed if the medical forms aren't sent along with it. That said, applicants from other countries where the Visa Offices have long processing times (24-36 months) seem not to do their medicals until requested as they are only valid for a year, so I guess different offices have diferent expectations.

If the DMP in your area does not understand there is a difference between applications for other types of residency and Sponsorship for Permanent residency, you could try what another member of this forum has done in the past and contact the Sydney visa office and ask if they could explain the differences. DMP's should know, but it seems there reception staff don't always play ball. As to cost, DMP's set their own rates, but take guidance from CIC. I paid $400NZD all up for exam, bloods and x-ray, so you will be faced with a similar cost wherever you get the med done.

At the end of the day it's your choice, it seems unlikely there would be a huge delay, but contacting Sydney Visa Office wouldn't be a horrible thing to at least ask their advice. I've emailed them a couple times over the past few months and they've always replied by the next day.

easykiwi

Star Member
Oct 5, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
AOR Received.
13-12-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
11-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2012
LANDED..........
24-02-2012
easykiwi said:
Hi again Pätkis,

I believe from another question of yours I responded to that you will be using the Sydney visa office also.

As far as I know outland applications require medical exams to be performed prior to applications being submitted so the appropriate forms can be sent with the application. This aids identifying medical exam results once they are all tranferred from Mississauga to the Visa Office, as the medical exam results get transferred separately. The checklist in the Region Specific guide for South East Asia and Pacific says the form from the DMP needs to be included. My thoughts are there is a risk your PR application may be delayed if the medical forms aren't sent along with it. That said, applicants from other countries where the Visa Offices have long processing times (24-36 months) seem not to do their medicals until requested as they are only valid for a year, so I guess different offices have diferent expectations.

If the DMP in your area does not understand there is a difference between applications for other types of residency and Sponsorship for Permanent residency, you could try what another member of this forum has done in the past and contact the Sydney visa office and ask if they could explain the differences. DMP's should know, but it seems there reception staff don't always play ball. As to cost, DMP's set their own rates, but take guidance from CIC. I paid $400NZD all up for exam, bloods and x-ray, so you will be faced with a similar cost wherever you get the med done.

At the end of the day it's your choice, it seems unlikely there would be a huge delay, but contacting Sydney Visa Office wouldn't be a horrible thing to at least ask their advice. I've emailed them a couple times over the past few months and they've always replied by the next day.
I agree with CharlieD. Contact CIC, or Sydney VO about DMP. If you have no luck getting a med done in Aus, hold off on sending your application until you are in Canada and can see a DMP there. Send your app including meds from there, it should be way cheaper to post at least, I had to courier my application package of over 1kg, and I think from the comments of others I was a little light on my supporting documents!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
easykiwi said:
Hi again Pätkis,

That said, applicants from other countries where the Visa Offices have long processing times (24-36 months) seem not to do their medicals until requested as they are only valid for a year, so I guess different offices have diferent expectations.
Not quite correct. It depends on the type of application being submitted, not the length of processing time. Spouses and dependent children must be medically examined as part of the application to be sponsored. Where spouses are requested by the visa offices with long processing times to do a medical exam, this is actually a RE-DO of the procedure, as the one they sent with application would have expired by the time the processing of their application was completed.

Other relatives (parents etc), and the economic classes must wait to be instructed by the visa office to proceed with the medical exam, as their processing timelines are much lengthier.

Pätkis

Oct 9, 2011
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2012
Thanks a lot everyone for your advice!

I think I will indeed have to give one more call to the DMP's office and if that leads me nowhere, I will have to contact the Sydney visa office. I would really like to get my application done as perfect as possible, but this stupid medical thing is such a pain!

The receptionist did admit that he's not sure of the Canadian visa procedures, so I think I'll just have to ask to talk to someone else then.

But if I do get my medical in Canada and send my application from there, is it still a 'outside Canada' application, even if it is sent from Canada?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Doesn't matter where you get the medical done as long as the correct visa office is stated on the form. And it doesn't matter if you mail it from within Canada, that has nothing to do with it being Outland. Outland refers to where it is processed (at a visa office outside Canada), not where it came from or where the applicant is.