+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maternity leave while on study permit

Calvyier7

Jun 13, 2014
Hi,

If a student on study permit is pregnant and gives birth, can she take a maternity leave? I know that the study permit requires being enrolled in full time studies, so does a maternity leave require a different visa?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Calvyier7 said:
Hi,

If a student on study permit is pregnant and gives birth, can she take a maternity leave? I know that the study permit requires being enrolled in full time studies, so does a maternity leave require a different visa?

Option exists to apply for a 'Leave of absence' at school, up to 1 year. It will have an impact on your SP status if not registered as a student during absence (new rules).

Zahida

Star Member
Jul 23, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Category........
PNP
App. Filed.......
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
03-01-2017
Med's Request
06-11-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
it wasn't a problem before June 2014. i was on one year maternity leave from January - December 2013. However, according to the new rules, it is not possible now.

Calvyier7

Jun 13, 2014
Zahida said:
it wasn't a problem before June 2014. i was on one year maternity leave from January - December 2013. However, according to the new rules, it is not possible now.
Which new rule makes it impossible?

Calvyier7

Jun 13, 2014
Thanks. I called CIC and they said that you can switch to visitor visa, then switch back to study permit. Does that make sense? Would it require leaving the country?

karenv

Jul 8, 2014
Most likely you have to leave the country because visitor visa is only valid for max 6 months. In addition, you won't be cover under UHIP during the time. Remember whenever you apply for some permit, there is always a chance that CIC rejects your application.

roland27

Jun 3, 2014
Then what about int students got pregnant? Just stick to studies full time, with all the work loads? That doesn't make sense. Switching to visitor visa means leaving the country...

nettoyant

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Calvyier7 said:
Hi,

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear that someone's in such a delicate situation.

The short answer is that there’s no maternity leave for international students.

The long answer is that many people abused the system in the past and now the rules for studying are more strict.

Please be aware that when switching to a visitor’s visa it will only lasts for 6 months (she’ll have to ask for an extension which is not guaranteed she’ll get). She also has to be prepared to be questioned about:
- How is she going to provide for herself financially? She has to prove she won’t work in Canada.
- Why is she abandoning her studies?
- Why is she not going back to her home country for having the baby? It might make sense to the visa officer that’s the logical course of action is going back to her home country.

If the person decide to keep the baby and continue studying, she should check to see if her student health care covers labour costs and associated medical expenses (most student’s health care plans don’t cover this kind of cost). There’s also the fact that she’ll have to attend class and pass her courses to keep the student status, this might be incompatible with taking care of a child.