Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Hello, I just submitted the PR application through EE yesterday. Here is my situation: I am pregnant and due to deliver in April. I currently live in Canada and have been working full time for the same company for the past 1 yr and 8 months. My first question is: Since I just submitted the PR application, I am guessing the baby will be born before a decision is made. I am planning to go on maternity leave 2 weeks before baby is born and I am not sure how to go about it with CIC. I didn't mention any of this in my PR application, but I did tell the doctor during my medical exam that I'm pregnant. I just wasn't sure if it was necessary to include it in the application. Would I have to inform them beforehand that I am going on maternity leave?

My follow up question is, does anyone know if being on a work permit affect my maternity leave benefits? Technically I am qualified as I have worked the hours and get EI deductions, I just don't know if being a temporary foreign disqualifies me, other than it being only up until my permit expires.

Thank you for taking time to read..

audrey888

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When filing EI, Service Canada will ask for your Records of Employment(ROI) for the computation of your benefits. Furthermore, they will be asking for your WP and will base the date when you will start and end receiving EI benefits.
Visit or call the nearest Service Canada in case your WP is expiring before you file your claims. They may ask for proof that you file for an extension of WP.

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Thank you for your reply. :) My WP expires Oct 2016. I'm REALLY hoping I would be able to get permanent residency status by then. I have tried calling Service Canada but due to high call volumes, they can't get me through to anyone. I may just pay them a visit.

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
1. There's absolutely no obligation to tell CIC that you're pregnant while filling out the application forms; you're only obligated to tell them of the birth of a child. If you decided not to do the chest x-ray part of the medicals, then your doctor must have included a document stating that you're pregnant and so elected not to do that. However, from your post I am guessing that you completed the chest x-ray. Whatever the case was, your doctor most likely included the info about your pregnancy (that's why they do urine -PT- test). So, it's safe to say CIC knows you're pregnant :)

2. Since you are currently in Canada, there should be no problem about the pregnancy delaying your application since you won't need to submit a PR application for your newborn when he/she arrives. So, it won't delay your application especially if you completed all parts of the medical exam. If you skipped the x-ray, your application will continue to be processed but your medical results won't be updated until you complete that part of the medical exam. As soon as you have your baby and complete the x-ray, the status of your medical exam will be updated on MyCIC.

3. You are eligible to receive maternity benefits while in Canada as a temporary foreign worker/ on a work permit. As long as you worked for the required number of hours in the preceding 52 weeks before your leave as stated on the Service Canada website. You should apply for maternity benefits as soon as you stop work/go on maternity leave. You don't need to have received your ROE before applying for benefits. If the processing of your PR application is not completed by Oct 2016 (this is unlikely if you completed every aspect of the medical exam), you should submit an application for WP extension 30 days before the expiration of the current one. Good luck!

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Lasgidi007 said:
1. There's absolutely no obligation to tell CIC that you're pregnant while filling out the application forms; you're only obligated to tell them of the birth of a child. If you decided not to do the chest x-ray part of the medicals, then your doctor must have included a document stating that you're pregnant and so elected not to do that. However, from your post I am guessing that you completed the chest x-ray. Whatever the case was, your doctor most likely included the info about your pregnancy (that's why they do urine -PT- test). So, it's safe to say CIC knows you're pregnant :)

2. Since you are currently in Canada, there should be no problem about the pregnancy delaying your application since you won't need to submit a PR application for your newborn when he/she arrives. So, it won't delay your application especially if you completed all parts of the medical exam. If you skipped the x-ray, your application will continue to be processed but your medical results won't be updated until you complete that part of the medical exam. As soon as you have your baby and complete the x-ray, the status of your medical exam will be updated on MyCIC.

3. You are eligible to receive maternity benefits while in Canada as a temporary foreign worker/ on a work permit. As long as you worked for the required number of hours in the preceding 52 weeks before your leave as stated on the Service Canada website. You should apply for maternity benefits as soon as you stop work/go on maternity leave. You don't need to have received your ROE before applying for benefits. If the processing of your PR application is not completed by Oct 2016 (this is unlikely if you completed every aspect of the medical exam), you should submit an application for WP extension 30 days before the expiration of the current one. Good luck!
Thank you Lasgidi007! ;) This all brings so much relief. I opted to complete the chest x-ray despite being pregnant since I was already in my 2nd trimester then (which meant baby's major organs have developed) and they explained to me that there would be a lead covering to protect the baby. I did a lot of research before deciding on it too.

So since baby will be born in Canada, no need to file PR application for her, but I would still gave to inform them of her birth, right?

Would I have to wait till I officially stop working before I can apply? I am going to avail of a week of accumulated vacation time before starting the maternity leave.. do you know if I can apply for it then?

This has really been a great help. Thank you once again. :)

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
kamae said:
So since baby will be born in Canada, no need to file PR application for her, but I would still gave to inform them of her birth, right?

Would I have to wait till I officially stop working before I can apply? I am going to avail of a week of accumulated vacation time before starting the maternity leave.. do you know if I can apply for it then?

You're baby will be Canadian, no PR need.
You should inform CIC adding a birth certificate just if born before PR acquired, but it won't affect your application

For Maternity leave you should apply before stop to work, we did it later, too much, an lost 2 weeks of payment. You can appply online through CRA website

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Gregor.Samsa said:
You should inform CIC adding a birth certificate just if born before PR acquired, but it won't affect your application

For Maternity leave you should apply before stop to work, we did it later, too much, an lost 2 weeks of payment. You can appply online through CRA website
Thank you Gregor.Samsa.. :) I'll make sure to apply for it sooner then.

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
kamae said:
Thank you Lasgidi007! ;) This all brings so much relief. I opted to complete the chest x-ray despite being pregnant since I was already in my 2nd trimester then (which meant baby's major organs have developed) and they explained to me that there would be a lead covering to protect the baby. I did a lot of research before deciding on it too.

If you have a week of accumulated vacation which you intend to take before maternity leave, you may want to apply for EI maternity benefits as soon as your maternity leave actually begins especially if your 1 week vacation will be paid. The regular vacation pay comes from your employer; maternity benefits are paid by the government. As far as I know, you will have to stop work before applying for maternity leave. E.g., if your last day at work was this afternoon, you can apply tonight. If your last day at work is tomorrow, you can't apply tonight. See http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#how

When should I apply?

"You should apply as soon as possible after you stop working, even if your employer has not issued your ROE yet. If you delay applying for benefits later than four weeks after your last day of work, you risk losing benefits..."

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Gregor.Samsa said:

A couple of things:

1. I am not sure that you apply for maternity leave benefits through the CRA website - I believe you do that through the Service Canada website.

2. You actually have to apply for maternity leave benefits after you stop work. It is normal not to be paid for the first 2 weeks so you didn't lose anything. See : http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#how

What is the two-week waiting period?

"Before you can start receiving EI benefits, there is a two-week waiting period during which you will not be paid. This waiting period is like the deductible you pay for other types of insurance. You usually serve the waiting period at the beginning of your benefit period, unless you receive earnings during the first two weeks..."

kamae

Star Member
Sep 22, 2011
Ontario
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Jan 12, 2016
Passport Req..
April 20, 2016
Lasgidi007 said:
A couple of things:

1. I am not sure that you apply for maternity leave benefits through the CRA website - I believe you do that through the Service Canada website.

2. You actually have to apply for maternity leave benefits after you stop work. It is normal not to be paid for the first 2 weeks so you didn't lose anything. See : http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#how

What is the two-week waiting period?

"Before you can start receiving EI benefits, there is a two-week waiting period during which you will not be paid. This waiting period is like the deductible you pay for other types of insurance. You usually serve the waiting period at the beginning of your benefit period, unless you receive earnings during the first two weeks..."
I see, so I will have to wait till I officially stop working before applying. I was able to read this on their website, but didn't understand it fully. Thank you for clarifying this Lasgidi007. :)

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
I'm not sure about the vacations week but I know for my experience on August 2015 you can apply in advance using a estimated delivery date.

We applied late (I don't remember how much, but several weeks probably) and got a letter stating that we won't be able to get all the Maternity/parental leave due to the late application date (2 weeks waiting period applied too)

Online application is trhough Canada Service, perhaps I was mistaken bit I thought we used myCRA
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/application/employmentinsurance.shtml

nmeka

Jan 19, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
20-nov-2015
Passport Req..
03-may-2016
LANDED..........
24-May-2016
Hello,
I applied for parental benefits through EI , I submitted my application after i stopped working. there is a 2 week waiting period before you can get the benefits paid. Fill your application online. You need to visit a service canada location and submit a copy of your Work Permit after you fill the online application. You can just drop it off at the front counter.

Good luck and congratulations.

ljr30

Jan 11, 2016
hi there!
i just wanna ask regarding my complicated situation. i have a tourist visa and i am here now in Canada for almost 5 months now. my my brother will sponsor me as a live in caregiver for his kids. i already have my LMIA and my brother processed and submitted my work permit just this month. but the problem is that im almost 5 months pregnant now. will there be a problem for me or my brother(my employer) if we proceed to the processing of work permit knowing that im pregnant? what should i do if there will be a medical for me, will it affect my status or the processed working permit? is it better for me to go home so that there will be no problem for my status? how many months does a work permit usually processed? i need your advise please!

Rose verma

Dec 28, 2017
Hello..I submitted my maternity leave yesterday online but by mistake I filled one coloum wrong.can I do changed in my that application but I don't know how to do if someone know then plz help me?

mesmaeilzadeh

Apr 17, 2022
Hello,
I have applied for PR under AIP pilot program, and my application is in processing. Everything is completed about me abut, but my wife's X-Ray postpones until after the baby's delivery because of her pregnancy.

Unfortunately, my wife is having a difficult pregnancy and needs care, and since we don't have anyone in Canada to care for my pregnant wife, I want to get unpaid leave for 5 months to care for my wife.

I want to make sure that this unpaid leave with an exact date of return to work will affect the process of reviewing my case, and can it cause a problem?
Do I have to announce this leave to IRCC?

I had an after graduate work permit when I applied to PR. Can I extend my work permit while on unpaid leave?

Thank you in advance for your guiding me!