+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying in Canada!

Pecker2012

Jan 10, 2021
Hello,

I recently received my PGWP work permit and looking to bring my long-term boyfriend to Canada and marry him.

Context: Our union is an interfaith affair and one set of parents are dead against the marriage. Getting married in India is complex as they send a notice to your residential address for anyone to object it (Special Marriage Act woes). So getting married in Canada is the only option to avoid court hearing and the country right now being hateful towards Muslims do not help my case.

Questions:

1. Parents cannot be part of the wedding in Canada - can a letter of explanation help with proving the legitimacy of this relationship?
2. We have pictures from 2017 (the time we got together) and can also get letters from friends / his mum and siblings; will that help?
3. Should we wait for a few months before applying for SOWP after the wedding? Show proof of lease together as well living as a wedded couple?
4. As we are Indians, do we need to show a cultural wedding? I am a non-believer and would prefer a court affair; would that affect anything?
5. He will still have a job in India when he visits + family + rental agreement - would that be good enough for ties to the country?

Please help me with anything and everything you know hehe!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I recently received my PGWP work permit and looking to bring my long-term boyfriend to Canada and marry him.

Context: Our union is an interfaith affair and one set of parents are dead against the marriage. Getting married in India is complex as they send a notice to your residential address for anyone to object it (Special Marriage Act woes). So getting married in Canada is the only option to avoid court hearing and the country right now being hateful towards Muslims do not help my case.

Questions:

1. Parents cannot be part of the wedding in Canada - can a letter of explanation help with proving the legitimacy of this relationship?
2. We have pictures from 2017 (the time we got together) and can also get letters from friends / his mum and siblings; will that help?
3. Should we wait for a few months before applying for SOWP after the wedding? Show proof of lease together as well living as a wedded couple?
4. As we are Indians, do we need to show a cultural wedding? I am a non-believer and would prefer a court affair; would that affect anything?
5. He will still have a job in India when he visits + family + rental agreement - would that be good enough for ties to the country?

Please help me with anything and everything you know hehe!
1. Yes, you should explain why his parents didn't attend.
2. Yes, this will help.
3. You can apply immediately after marriage.
4. You can opt not to have a cultural wedding but I would recommend that you have some sort of celebration / reception afterwards with friends and family even if it's small.
5. Do you mean for applying for the TRV? Or does he already have a TRV?