+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying an Indian citizen as Canadian citizen

EmmaR

Dec 8, 2017
I’m looking to get some opinion on the process involved in marrying an Indian national as a Canadian citizen. I’m in calgary& looking to get married sometime this year. What is the timeline & steps for this whole process? Please share your experience or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
Did you find out the process and documents needed for registering in india? I'm looking for the same as I'm a canadian citizen and my fiance is indian.

arav2594

Sep 29, 2016
Hi,
Did you find out the process and documents needed for registering in india? I'm looking for the same as I'm a canadian citizen and my fiance is indian.
Hi, were you able to figure this out by any chance? I'm in the same situation as well. Thanks!

arav2594

Sep 29, 2016
I’m looking to get some opinion on the process involved in marrying an Indian national as a Canadian citizen. I’m in calgary& looking to get married sometime this year. What is the timeline & steps for this whole process? Please share your experience or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Hello Mohit, did you find a solution for marrying an Indian National as a Canadian citizen?

arav2594

Sep 29, 2016
Have you read the application instructions?
Hi, I am not looking for guidance on the actual sponsorship application. I am trying to learn more about the process of getting married in India, to an Indian National, while being a Canadian Citizen

Lihei

Star Member
Dec 27, 2023
I am Indian and my husband is Canadian, we got married in India and applied for a marriage certificate after the wedding last September. Once you receive your marriage certificate, you can submit it with the spousal application. It’s a simple process.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am Indian and my husband is Canadian, we got married in India and applied for a marriage certificate after the wedding last September. Once you receive your marriage certificate, you can submit it with the spousal application. It’s a simple process.
Often not that simple especially if minimal time in person and arranged marriage. You typically also need to show you had traditional ceremonies, time spent together, communication records, etc

Lihei

Star Member
Dec 27, 2023
Yes collecting and giving proof of relationship is not a simple process. But I got the sense the question was based on marrying an Indian as a Canadian, if there are any specific process. Regardless of religion, once they get married and receive the marriage certificate there is all that is to be done.

arav2594

Sep 29, 2016
Yes collecting and giving proof of relationship is not a simple process. But I got the sense the question was based on marrying an Indian as a Canadian, if there are any specific process. Regardless of religion, once they get married and receive the marriage certificate there is all that is to be done.
Thanks for your response! While I understand the process for spousal application, I am actually wondering if there are any rules and implications in India for a Canadian Citizen (of Indian Origin) to get married there? My citizenship is under process and most probably I will have to go to India for (my wedding) with a e-VISA. I understand that OCI application takes a few months so e-VISA is my only option. Are there any rules against getting married with an e-VISA?

Lihei

Star Member
Dec 27, 2023
My husband came on eVisa as well when he came for the wedding. There are no rules or as such. You can come and have the wedding, apply for marriage certificate from your spouse’s jurisdiction.