+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying an Indian citizen as Canadian citizen

Mohit807

May 4, 2013
I’m looking to get some opinion on the process involved in marrying an Indian national as a Canadian citizen. I’m in calgary& looking to get married sometime this year. What is the timeline & steps for this whole process? Please share your experience or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Where are you planning on getting married? Is your future spouse in India or Canada? Are you asking for details about the actual marriage process or about sponsoring your spouse?

Naz99

Feb 16, 2023
I’m new to both so I want to know about marriage process and sponsorship. Do I need any certificate from Canada to register marriage in India?
After you get married in India,you need to apply for marriage certificate in India. This you can add in spousal sponsorship and rest of the process is same.

Naz99

Feb 16, 2023
After you get married in India,you need to apply for marriage certificate in India. This you can add in spousal sponsorship and rest of the process is same.
You can also follow YouTube channel "Hit submit & Canada" .This channel helped most of the people.

Mohit807

May 4, 2013
Do I need any kind of NOC from Canada to obtain a marriage certificate in India?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I’m looking to get some opinion on the process involved in marrying an Indian national as a Canadian citizen. I’m in calgary& looking to get married sometime this year. What is the timeline & steps for this whole process? Please share your experience or guide me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Would suggest reading through the spousal sponsorship application before getting married. The process of outland sponsorship takes around a year. If you want to try inland sponsorship your spouse can try to apply for a TRV but it isn’t guaranteed. I would suggest trying for the TRV before getting married. Have you met your future spouse already? Is this an arranged marriage? Will you be getting married on your first visit together? I would suggest at least meeting on one visit before getting married.

Mohit807

May 4, 2013
Would suggest reading through the spousal sponsorship application before getting married. The process of outland sponsorship takes around a year. If you want to try inland sponsorship your spouse can try to apply for a TRV but it isn’t guaranteed. I would suggest trying for the TRV before getting married. Have you met your future spouse already? Is this an arranged marriage? Will you be getting married on your first visit together? I would suggest at least meeting on one visit before getting married.
Thanks for replying. I have met her before & we’re planning on getting married sometime this year. Yeah, I met her through Jeevansathi app & it’s an arrange marriage. I think Outland visa process would be suitable in our case as she doesn’t live here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for replying. I have met her before & we’re planning on getting married sometime this year. Yeah, I met her through Jeevansathi app & it’s an arrange marriage. I think Outland visa process would be suitable in our case as she doesn’t live here.
Some try to get a visa to visit Canada and then apply for inland processing. In.and processing allows the spouse to apply for a work permit after their initial inland sponsorship application has been received which is currently taking 2-3 months. Applying from abroad or while in Canada is a personal choice. Whether the spouse can get a TRV often limits whether one can apply from Canada. If you want to try for a TRV applying before getting married typically increases the chance of success since having a spouse in Canada creates strong ties in Canada and lessen the chance that a TRV is for a true visit. If a spouse has a good longterm job, has travelled internationally before (especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.), has their own savings, etc. increases the chance of TRV approval. As long as you are prepared for the separation period (typically around a year) then outland sponsorship application is very common way of sponsorship. I would suggest reviewing the sponsorship application process so you are aware of what documents you need to provide before you get married so you can collect the documents while in India. Would also suggest taking pictures together and not just at the wedding. For example if you took pictures on your original meeting together or as a group that would be something to include as part of pictures you submit.

You don’t have to hire anyone to file for sponsorship. You certainly can but many people apply on their own and save the money.

Mohit807

May 4, 2013
Some try to get a visa to visit Canada and then apply for inland processing. In.and processing allows the spouse to apply for a work permit after their initial inland sponsorship application has been received which is currently taking 2-3 months. Applying from abroad or while in Canada is a personal choice. Whether the spouse can get a TRV often limits whether one can apply from Canada. If you want to try for a TRV applying before getting married typically increases the chance of success since having a spouse in Canada creates strong ties in Canada and lessen the chance that a TRV is for a true visit. If a spouse has a good longterm job, has travelled internationally before (especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.), has their own savings, etc. increases the chance of TRV approval. As long as you are prepared for the separation period (typically around a year) then outland sponsorship application is very common way of sponsorship. I would suggest reviewing the sponsorship application process so you are aware of what documents you need to provide before you get married so you can collect the documents while in India. Would also suggest taking pictures together and not just at the wedding. For example if you took pictures on your original meeting together or as a group that would be something to include as part of pictures you submit.

You don’t have to hire anyone to file for sponsorship. You certainly can but many people apply on their own and save the money.
Yeah, I‘ve been keeping pictures to provide as a proof of relationship. Applying for a TRV before spouse visa is a good idea; I’m not entirely sure about the doc requirements to register marriage in India. I read somewhere that I would need “Certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad” as a Canadian citizen

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, I‘ve been keeping pictures to provide as a proof of relationship. Applying for a TRV before spouse visa is a good idea; I’m not entirely sure about the doc requirements to register marriage in India. I read somewhere that I would need “Certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad” as a Canadian citizen
You’ll need to research

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I read somewhere that I would need “Certificate of non-impediment to marriage abroad” as a Canadian citizen
You'll have to check for India. Canada has an issue with providing these because federalism. There is a way to get in Canada before you depart, I'm not familiar, but my impression is that it is a huge PITA (serach that acronym if not familiar).

Most common is to get it at the Canadian embassy/high commission/consulate. You show up and they provide you with .... something similar (basically you swear in front of a Consular officer that there are no impediments to you marrying). With an appointment this can be done in half an hour - obviously if you are in a city with a consulate.

But after that the details vary by country - that document (stamped by the embassy/consulate) may need to be translated, accepted by the foreign ministry or justice ministry or something similar, then taken to the civil registry or similar, or or or.

While the process is not exactly the same for the USA, it is the same basic problem, so USA oriented resources (or Oz or NZ) may give you an idea where to look / what you have to do. One big difference is USA participates in Hague Convention (an agreement about recognizing official documents),. but Canada doesn't (because federalism). Beware that anything that refers to an apostille is not something we do.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Beware that anything that refers to an apostille is not something we do.
But there's a Canadian equivalent, correct? And places that want things apostilled typically want the Canadian equivalent.That was my understanding when researching something we thought we needed to do (but never did so not sure exactly how it works)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But there's a Canadian equivalent, correct? And places that want things apostilled typically want the Canadian equivalent.That was my understanding when researching something we thought we needed to do (but never did so not sure exactly how it works)
There is something, it's a PITA. And it varies a bit by country.

In my experience, the consulates know what is required locally, and while they won't do it for you, they can be reasonably helpful and it's manageable (and less of a PITA than in Canada.) (Probably varies of course) YMMV.

Reactions: MJSPARV