+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marrying a Canadian under a tourist visa

LSailor

May 22, 2016
I have three years multiple entry visitor visa for Canada. I want to fly to Ontario this year and marry my boyfriend. He cannot come to my country and marry as civil marriages are difficult.

I understand that to stay together as husband and wife in one country in this case Canada, I have to apply for permanent residency of Canada, once we are married?

But do I have to come back after one/ three/ six months/ whenever my visa expires?

If I do come back can I go back to my husband again?

I am planning to get a visitors health insurance for my period of stay (which I have seen is the maximum of one year)

how long does it take after marriage for the PR application to get approved?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
LSailor said:
I understand that to stay together as husband and wife in one country in this case Canada, I have to apply for permanent residency of Canada, once we are married?

But do I have to come back after one/ three/ six months/ whenever my visa expires?

how long does it take after marriage for the PR application to get approved?
Yes, you must apply for PR.

No, you don't have to go back. You can extend your stay in Canada.

Depends on where you are from, how you apply, your relationship etc.

LSailor

May 22, 2016
Canuck, I dont know how to insert your reply here.

So after marriage if we apply for PR, can the two of us go and visit my country?

How long will it take for the PR application to process.

While waiting for PR, I know I wont be allowed to work. Won't I be allowed to study as well? Not short courses.. but let's say a diploma or a second Masters? What happens when my travel medical insurance expires?

If the PR is rejected then do I have to come back to my country? and apply outland again to be with my husband?

And We cannot have any babies before the PR is approved???

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
LSailor said:
So after marriage if we apply for PR, can the two of us go and visit my country?

While waiting for PR, I know I wont be allowed to work. Won't I be allowed to study as well? Not short courses.. but let's say a diploma or a second Masters? What happens when my travel medical insurance expires?

If the PR is rejected then do I have to come back to my country? and apply outland again to be with my husband?

Depends on whether you apply inland or outland.

As per my previous post: Depends on where you are from, how you apply, your relationship etc..

Whether you can work depends on whether you apply inland or outland. You can take short courses as a visitor; you cannot do a diploma or a Master's without a study permit or PR. You need to ensure you have adequate travel insurance while in Canada; most people cannot get provincial health coverage until PR.

If the app is rejected, you can apply again. Whether you can stay in Canada depends if you maintain your status.

You can have children whenever you want. However, depending on your health coverage, you may have to pay for the birth.

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
LSailor said:
Please see my replies in green
Canuck, I dont know how to insert your reply here.

You can enter and exit as long as ur visa remains valid. Your husband has to get visit visa for your country
Processing times change, but you can find latest time on the website.
You are allowed to work as inland applicant after principal approval. You can apply for study permit

If you apply inland then there is no appeal as compared to outland
You can have and the child will be canadian, with all rights such as child benefits, govt health insurance etc

LSailor

May 22, 2016
I learned how to quote ;D.
Thank you very much for the very helpful replies. But I am little confused about entry and exit as long as visa remain valid. Are you saying that Once we are married in Canada say in 2016 and saved up for tickets back to my country say at the end of 2016 and also obtained Visa for my husband, I can travel back to my country with my husband and come back to Canada by 2017 ( when my three years multiple entry is still valid). It is all OKay??? WOW!
If such a thing can be done, I will be over the moon. Who does not want their parents during the most important events of their life?

What is principal approval?

hsp402

Dec 27, 2012
LSailor said:
I learned how to quote ;D.
Thank you very much for the very helpful replies. But I am little confused about entry and exit as long as visa remain valid. Are you saying that Once we are married in Canada say in 2016 and saved up for tickets back to my country say at the end of 2016 and also obtained Visa for my husband, I can travel back to my country with my husband and come back to Canada by 2017 ( when my three years multiple entry is still valid). It is all OKay??? WOW!
If such a thing can be done, I will be over the moon. Who does not want their parents during the most important events of their life?

What is principal approval?
Yes.
Approved in principle is for inland applicants when first stage is over.

LSailor

May 22, 2016
hsp402 said:
Yes.
Approved in principle is for inland applicants when first stage is over.

Why the quote did not work last time??!!!

Anyway thank you very very much for the helpful relevant replies.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
LSailor said:
I can travel back to my country with my husband and come back to Canada by 2017 ( when my three years multiple entry is still valid). It is all OKay???
If you plan to leave the country during the processing, you should apply outland. If you apply inland and are refused re-entry to Canada, your app is cancelled.

M

mikeymyke

Don't apply inland anyway, the processing time is way too long, and you're not supposed to leave the country.

Go with outland, apply for a visitor visa and stay in Canada to wait out your PR. If you're nearing the expiration date of the visitor visa, apply for an extension. Mind you it's not a guarantee that a visitor visa will be granted, but the benefits of outland far outweigh that.

LSailor

May 22, 2016
Thank you all for your kind and wise advice
But my husband, wants me to be with him for whatever time is left in our lives. SO it is PR inland for me, even if it gets rejected (and I have looked at the application package and am aware that our relationship has all the ingredient it takes for a rejection. There is every possibility that we cannot prove to the immigration officer/ whoever that our marriage is not that of convenience (rather it is in every other way inconvenient))

See our logic is we are not getting any younger and waited enough to find the partner we love and get loved by. So no more waiting. LIFE IS A ROLLER COASTER JUST GOTTA RIDE IT.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
LSailor said:
Thank you all for your kind and wise advice
But my husband, wants me to be with him for whatever time is left in our lives. SO it is PR inland for me, even if it gets rejected (and I have looked at the application package and am aware that our relationship has all the ingredient it takes for a rejection.
You can be in Canada while an outland app processes. Also, if you think you are going to be rejected, inland has no appeal option but outland does.

What are your red flags?

Dreams123

Aug 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
You can be in Canada while an outland app processes. Also, if you think you are going to be rejected, inland has no appeal option but outland does.

What are your red flags?
Sorry to interpret this conversation. But i have similar question. I am PR in Canada and my Fiance' is India. He just got his visitor visa for 10 years. Our plan was to get the visitor visa first and get married this year so he can stay with me during our Inland PR process time.

Can he apply for work permit while he will be here and we will submit his file for PR?

I am not sure if this plan is right or if there is any flaws? Please suggest?

M

mikeymyke

Dreams123 said:
Sorry to interpret this conversation. But i have similar question. I am PR in Canada and my Fiance' is India. He just got his visitor visa for 10 years. Our plan was to get the visitor visa first and get married this year so he can stay with me during our Inland PR process time.

Can he apply for work permit while he will be here and we will submit his file for PR?

I am not sure if this plan is right or if there is any flaws? Please suggest?
He got his visitor visa so you should get him to apply outland and remain in Canada w the visitor visa, then apply for an extension before the visa expires. Do not apply inland