+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married to a Canadian + PGWP + CEC Approved = Confusion

TimB91

Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

I am currently 2/3 through my PGWP (some more details below). I got married to my wife about 10 months ago; she is Canadian citizen currently working as a consultant. On the application, there was absolutely no means for me to include her on my application. I know that the Overall Score can be improved if your application includes your spouse (if she is also non-Canadian and trying to immigrate). I am wondering if there is any means by which I can improve my score; it seems "unfair" that marriage to a non-Canadian can actually boost the score more than marriage to a Canadian. Is anyone else in a similar boat?

Some more details of my situation:
- Graduated from a Canadian university with a Bachelor of Commerce.
- Working in a management role at one of the largest Fortune-500 companies in Canada
- Scored 47/48 on my CELPIP
- No LMIA

Overall Score: 444 - Qualifying for Federal Skilled Worker and Canadian Experience

Would appreciate any all all feedback - thanks in advance!

EEKnowledge

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
TimB91 said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently 2/3 through my PGWP (some more details below). I got married to my wife about 10 months ago; she is Canadian citizen currently working as a consultant. On the application, there was absolutely no means for me to include her on my application. I know that the Overall Score can be improved if your application includes your spouse (if she is also non-Canadian and trying to immigrate). I am wondering if there is any means by which I can improve my score; it seems "unfair" that marriage to a non-Canadian can actually boost the score more than marriage to a Canadian. Is anyone else in a similar boat?

Some more details of my situation:
- Graduated from a Canadian university with a Bachelor of Commerce.
- Working in a management role at one of the largest Fortune-500 companies in Canada
- Scored 47/48 on my CELPIP
- No LMIA

Overall Score: 444 - Qualifying for Federal Skilled Worker and Canadian Experience

Would appreciate any all all feedback - thanks in advance!
Why are you not applying under the spouse category? You should have applied 10 months ago. Damn. You have a sure-shot PR there man. Why you going through EE at all?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

TimB91

Feb 1, 2015
EEKnowledge said:
Why are you not applying under the spouse category? You should have applied 10 months ago. Damn. You have a sure-shot PR there man. Why you going through EE at all?
Thanks for the response - much appreciated!

I must say, you're right, yes I should have applied 10 months ago. I spoke with a number of people back then, and the overwhelming consensus was that I would likely have a better shot going through the Experience Class (at a faster pace). I went through the application process through CEC in December, but that came back to me a couple weeks ago due to the change in process.

Anyways, I guess the issue I have right now; the processing time for a spousal application is 25 months as per the CIC site. only have 15 months remaining on my PGWP. I am willing to start that process, but it seems that the EE process (presumably) was also designed to handle these types of situations. Any advice?

Thanks again!

EEKnowledge

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
TimB91 said:
Thanks for the response - much appreciated!

I must say, you're right, yes I should have applied 10 months ago. I spoke with a number of people back then, and the overwhelming consensus was that I would likely have a better shot going through the Experience Class (at a faster pace). I went through the application process through CEC in December, but that came back to me a couple weeks ago due to the change in process.

Anyways, I guess the issue I have right now; the processing time for a spousal application is 25 months as per the CIC site. only have 15 months remaining on my PGWP. I am willing to start that process, but it seems that the EE process (presumably) was also designed to handle these types of situations. Any advice?

Thanks again!
In the new EE system; they do not give points for Canadian relatives. So under CRS; your wife can fetch you points in some categories and those are her language abilities; education and experience. But just by being Canadian; you are not allotted any points. Your wife's CELPIP scores will help to maximize overall score too. Since that's the only variable that can change; rest are nearly constant at this point.
Only other option is to get LMIA; since PNP EE tracks are still rolling out for different provinces.

Your other option is to go through your province's PNP program.

You had 3 options; PNP; Spouse and CEC. And you kind of waited for the untested one to roll out. Canada announced EE back in April. Your easiest bet is through PNP which will take a bit now. I would put in the spousal visa application too; so that when your PGWP expires you can get a BOWP. Meanwhile; keep a track of the draw cut-offs for EE because CEC will be prioritized sooner or later. So do put in your profile under EE.

Besides, there might be good news for you here:- http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-launches-pilot-program-for-spouses-waiting-for-permanent-residency-1.2881460

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
EEKnowledge said:
+1.

I suspect that not being able to get points on an EE application by including a Canadian spouse is because a spouse visa exists, and it *really* is the easiest option. I doubt it even occurs to CIC that someone eligible for one would be applying for anything else! It's a shame you were misadvised 10 months ago.

As you are in Canada, you have 2 options for a spousal application:
- inland: longer processing time, but you can now apply for an open work permit while your application is processing;
- outland (yes, you CAN apply outland, even if you are IN Canada): depending on your country of origin, processing time can be much faster.

I'd suggest you pop over to the Family Class forum here - loads of good advice available.

Good luck !! :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
TimB91 said:

The advice you received was probably correct at the time, but everything changes... My suggestion would be to apply for family class, and EE as a back up... there's now the option of getting a work permit for family class applicants -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/updates/2014/2014-12-22.asp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
TimB91 said:
Inland is 25 months. Outland can be considerably shorter and you are able to apply for spousal sponsorship outland while you are inside Canada.

Where are you from?