+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married in Canada, applying outside through Damascus

Rana80

Jun 7, 2010
Hello,
So I just sent in my application today and for some reason I can't help but be worried. I knew my husband since we were in college 13 years ago (same University, same bachelor's degree). During these years I got married, had a child, and then got divorced 3 years ago. I came to Canada 2 years ago on a work permit and met my current husband here. I just renewed my current work permit and it's valid until April, 2011. We recently got married in March and now he's sponsoring me and my child through the family class category. We just thought this would be quicker than filing through the skilled federal class for myself and my child. I filled all the application forms, provided almost 75 photos over the past two years, countless receipts, bank statements, 2 years of detailed phone bills as well as our transcripts showing our previous acquaintance. My worry comes in two areas:

1- I've been previously married and I have a child. I should say that I have full sole custody of my young child through a US court order and all that has been finalized and completely legalized. Both my child and I have had several work permits/visitor records issued in Canada with no problems. However, I have a worry that my application might get a red flag since it's not that common in our culture for a man with no previous marriages to marry a lady with a child. Please note that I provided plenty of photos that show how much my husband cares about my child and also how happy my child appears in the photos.

2- My second worry is that I got married in Canada in a civil ceremony so our marriage certificate is a civil non-denominational one. A few days later we had an Islamic marriage by a Sheikh at my family's place that was attended by all the men in my family and several from his. We had a normal Islamic reception with plenty of photos to show. However, we have not had the chance to go to Jordan to register our marriage and issue a "family book" that is required by the Damascus consulate. Would this requirement cause another hindrance to my application?

Are my worries valid? Anyone out there with a similar case? Anyone out there applying through Damascus although married in Canada?

Thanks in advance,

Rana

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
HI Rana,
my situation is not a whole lot like yours but I too am going thru Damascus and just wanted to wish you luck. Personnally the only thing I can see throwing out a red flag is the fact that you are here on a work visa. With that said, you didn't seem to have any problem getting it renewed, so it shouldn't look like you are just using him to stay in the country.

My husband is from Jordan as well but he is still there and we married there. I too am divorced but no children. Does your husband have the same cultural background as you do? We do not, I am a christian born in Canada - one of the reasons given in our refusal. Long story - 2 years later we have wn our appeal and am waiting for Damascus to get off their butts and issue him his visa.

Yes it many be outside the norms for a man to marry a woman who is divorced and has a child, but it is not unheard of. There is no "rule" in Islam aganist it and I would start building a case around that fact, just in case you get asked. I actually was expecting that question myself and was ready to tell the story of the Mohammad (PBUH) as an example of a man marrying a previously married woman. And the rules about adopting/ raising a child from another man. Be ready to show the relationship betweeen your child and your new husband.

I do not remember Damascus requiring a copy of your family book. We had ours since we married there, but I am pretty sure that all is needed is a copy of your marriage certificate which you have. If it is required, is it possible to get someone in your family back in Jordan to submit the application for you or is that something you must do in person? I really don't remember myself because those few days before and after our wedding was a bit of a blur.

My biggest tip for you is to do everything you can to make sure everything is handled via Damascus. You shouldn't have to deal with the Amman office since I am assuming that you are applying inland. The Office in Amman has a bit of a bad reputation.

Good luck sister and Inshallah everything will work out for you and your new family quickly.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Rana,

My question is why did you apply through Damascus rather than going through Buffalo? In any event, you and your husband are in Canada, have been for a few years and have done your best to adhere to traditions while outside of your country. I think that will be taken into account. Keep in mind that you are living and working in Canadian culture where it's normal to marry a divorced person with children. I believe they will take that into account given that you both have had to adapt in some ways to this culture. Also, I'm assuming that you could have applied as a FSW by what you've written so there is really no "immigration benefit" to you by being sponsored by your spouse. Again, that will be in your favour.

I defer to Mingus regarding the requirements of Damascus. She is certainly more knowledgable than I about that. But I think you will be fine given the above. Good luck.

Rana80

Jun 7, 2010
Hello Mingus and rjessome,
Thanks for the comforting words!

Mingus: Yes we are from the same cultural background, we studied all through college side by side back home. I'm actually applying outland since we have the choice to choose, regardless of whether I'm in Canada or not (The inland process is way too long comparatively). I'm worried about the family book since I have to actually fly to Jordan to get married, issue a marriage certificate and then issue a family book. I just can't spare the time or finances to up and leave right now.

Answering rjessome's question about why Damascus and not Buffalo, it's just that Damascus has a fairly faster turnaround time than Buffalo. An immediate family member got it in less than 3 months, granted their case wasn't as convoluted! As for the FSW category, yes I could have definitely applied that way or even through the CEC since I've been working here for 2 years and 1 month but again, I'm just trying to take the fast track. Hopefully they'll see it that way and it won't come back to haunt me!

Thanks again and will keep you posted,

Rana

mingus

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
If they ask you about you not having a family book, tell they exactly what you have said here.

Since you are applying outland, you may have to travel to Jordan for an interview if they require one. Hopefully you will not need to attend one and if they do request one, you get a lot of notice. My husband got less than a weeks notice of his interview in Amman.

Depending on how your case is viewed - Damascus may not be faster - we have been dealing with them for almost 2 years now, but like I said our case is much different than yours. You have a long history together, are from the same background, and same religion. I am sure all will move quickly and smoothly for you inshallah

kokobsb

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
hello
i recieved an e-mail from the embassy asking for my civil state in syria..
i already included my civil state while sending the application in canada that i already had from my country and stated as single and not married...
i am in syria now and doing an overseas application
i dont understand why they are requesting again my civil state.
if i send them a recent one it will be the same status as single because i got married in canada and not in syria in order to change that into married i need to do more paperwork that could take 4 to 5 months
cuz i have to register my wife and i as married in syria.
do you guys think not registering would have a negative assesment on my application ?

patrick81

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Hi KOko

I had the same situation, married in canada, single according to the papers in jordan, my application is in damascus since the 6th of april 2010, they didnt ask for a family book, so try to tell them that your marriage is registered in canada but not syria, they might waive it.

i have a question for you, as you lived in canada for a while, did the ask you for a police clearance from canada?, because they asked me for one.

when did they start processing your application?

kokobsb

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
hello patrick
thanks for answering my question
hopefully they will waive it ,cuz they didnt ask my family book only my civil state anyway
as for your question they still didnt ask from me a police clearence but i already did it before i leave canada so if they ask me i will send it to them with no problem . i suggest you visit cic's website if you already dont have a police certificate they have it under (i need to-)section the last line and follow instructions
as you see you have to send your fingerprint according to their specification once done there should be no problem for you to get a police certificate clearence once sent in about 1 month if you have more questions dont hesitate to ask we all are here to help each other .
they started processing my application since june 16.

patrick81

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Hi kokobsb

grateful for this prompt reply.

asking you for civil status is pretty normal, this is part of the requirements in the specific regional forms that you have to fill, so dont worry, sometimes they loose some documents and ask for it again, you don't have a problem.

they started processing my application on 6th April, and didn't contact me until 23rd June , so it appears that they contacted you early which is a good sign.

I still have some questions about the police clearance:

did you submit your fingerprints using a digital realtime screening service at a recognized office in canada or you submitted them on a special paper form that you got from RCMP?

did you get your police clearance by mail? and how long did it take since the day they received your fingerprints?

Moreover, i submitted my fingerprints on a form provided here in jordan by a special police department, sent the application to rcmp in ottawa, and was delivered by DHL courier service on the 29th of june 2010 ,and got no reply from them since then.

need your advice.

thanking you again

kokobsb

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
hello patrick
when i was in canada i went to a local police station to take fingerprints so they transfered me to a special department to take the prints ,they took my fingerprints on a special paper not digital and gave it to me in a sealed envelope i gave the prints to my lawyer he submited them one month later i believe he recieved them in one month or 3 weeks so you should have them in a week or so ,good luck and dont hesitate to ask more questions if you didnt understand my reply. thank u

joecreosta

Jan 22, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rana. i read your story.

first thing it doesnt matter if a man marries a woman who is divorced before and has a child. does ur husband also have previously married and has a kid? if in Jordan it is normal for a moslim man to marry a moslim divorced woman with a kid is normal thing then imigration officer will not complain so much.
many canadien women who are either divorced or never been married before but have kids from their boyfriend girlfriend relations are single moms fly to morocco to marry young boys. the immigration officers sees this every day so now its a normal thing.

if anything i see a issue may be the familybook. i know we had to get one too for our application. that process for us took around a week but thankgod it was sent with application.

yusuf

patrick81

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Thank you kokobsb

I hope I get my Clearance soon, I called the RCMP twice before, they only have one reply, the clearance may take upto 120 days, I hope that I get mine in a month like yours, i have no criminal record in Canada, so it shouldnt take that long.

hope for the best for all of us.

patrick81

Star Member
Jun 20, 2010
Thanks God
you were right koko, got my police clearance yesterday, forwarded it to damascus.

hope everything will go right now.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
patrick81 said:
Thank you kokobsb

I hope I get my Clearance soon, I called the RCMP twice before, they only have one reply, the clearance may take upto 120 days, I hope that I get mine in a month like yours, i have no criminal record in Canada, so it shouldnt take that long.

hope for the best for all of us.

It is much easier to get them done digitally here is a link for anyone wondering:
http://www.commissionaires.ca/national/en/services-personal/personal-fingerprinting/