+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Married after COPR issue...but before landing - Family Class

coolmoose

Jun 2, 2012
Hi there,

I'm Irish, and my fiancee is Canadian citizen. We applied outland through London. Full application, loads of photos, co-habitation proof, travel proof etc. Medical done and submitted at same time. Application received end of July, sponsor approval and forwarded to London Sept 4th.

We have only just set a date for our wedding, 14th June 2013, a few days after her graduation from uni here in Ireland. Her family and friends will be here for both the graduation and wedding, and both families will be spending a lot of time together.

We plan to land in Canada the week after that (around 20th/21st June) to live permanently.

Based on the processing times for London, I'm hoping the visa process to be completed around Feb/Mar/Apr...which is well before the wedding obviously!

Will it make a difference that I will be landing as married when the application was processed and COPR issued as common-law?

Reading here it seems not? - canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgent-landing-visa-approved-but-marital-status-about-to-change-help-t24309.0.html

I've read through the manual and it seems to only make a difference during processing from what I can gather (different coding of application etc.). I've also seen people advise not to inform CIC of the engagement as it can actually delay the process (VO might wait until after married to process the application)

Finding it hard to get accurate answers on this.

Another option I guess is to land and activate PR once approved, and then come home to Ireland until after wedding?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
coolmoose said:
Hi there,

I'm Irish, and my fiancee is Canadian citizen. We applied outland through London. Full application, loads of photos, co-habitation proof, travel proof etc. Medical done and submitted at same time. Application received end of July, sponsor approval and forwarded to London Sept 4th.

We have only just set a date for our wedding, 14th June 2013, a few days after her graduation from uni here in Ireland. Her family and friends will be here for both the graduation and wedding, and both families will be spending a lot of time together.

We plan to land in Canada the week after that (around 20th/21st June) to live permanently.

Based on the processing times for London, I'm hoping the visa process to be completed around Feb/Mar/Apr...which is well before the wedding obviously!

Will it make a difference that I will be landing as married when the application was processed and COPR issued as common-law?

Reading here it seems not? - canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgent-landing-visa-approved-but-marital-status-about-to-change-help-t24309.0.html

I've read through the manual and it seems to only make a difference during processing from what I can gather (different coding of application etc.). I've also seen people advise not to inform CIC of the engagement as it can actually delay the process (VO might wait until after married to process the application)

Finding it hard to get accurate answers on this.

Another option I guess is to land and activate PR once approved, and then come home to Ireland until after wedding?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!
There is no way that I can see how it could hurt your application that you got married. As mentioned in the other thread, they would change the coding of the application.

If you got married before the visa was issued, you'd need to notify the visa office immediately, ideally in advance. The main thing you'd need to avoid would be them issuing the visa after you got married but before they knew about it. You might need a new visa in that case.

If the wedding was after the visa was issued, you'd be fine to land. You should let the visa office know, but it probably wouldn't change anything, and you wouldn't need to wait for approval of any kind. You'd need to advise the customs officer at the border that you'd gotten married. The guide "ENF 04 - Port of Entry examinations" says:

R51 requires a foreign national who has been issued a permanent resident visa as a single
person to advise an officer if their marital status has changed since the visa was issued.

A report under A44(1) for A41(a) for R51 is not necessary, if the non-declaration of a marriage or
common-law relationship to the visa officer does not affect the grant of permanent residence to
the person in the following cases:

[...]

- A foreign national who marries their sponsor after the visa is issued, but before the grant of
permanent residence. This change in circumstance is not material to admissibility.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
your wife is Canadian Citizen, although you must tell CIC you got married (which you can do when you land just have your marriage certificate). the only way it would have an effect is if this person needed to be included in your application since your wife is Canadian she doesn't need you to sponsor to live her...

coolmoose

Jun 2, 2012
Great stuff thanks guys, figured it wouldn't change anything once issued seeing as she's a Canadian citizen alright.

Can never be too careful with these things though! Thanks again for your replies, puts my mind at rest!

EsLmQcErD

Jul 14, 2015
Sort of similar to the one abore,

I am a permanent resident of Canada.

My partner applied under the Canadian Experience class for PR, and the application was placed in early 2014. At that time, we did not have an intent to marry.

That said, things did work out between us and we ended up getting married after her RPRF (mid 2015), and have now advised about the change in composition of family to CIC, just as the permanent resident visa is about to be issued.

I have read that there shouldn't be an issue/delay, as listing me as a spouse would not change the admissibility status to Canada (because I am a permanent resident); however, I am curious to know about the possible delay that this may cause the issuing of the visa. Or if they would have to re-assess the entire application (because the application was made under the Canadian Experience class). Would I have to fill out all the forms that we both filled out for our applications to PR?

Thanks!

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
If you are a permanent resident already, you do not need to fill out anymore immigration papers. Your wife on the other hand will need to complete some forms to list you as her husband - CIC should tell you which ones. If you don't hear back 2 weeks, contact them again. It may be worth it to use the "case specific inquiry" email.

CIC will update her marital status on her COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) document. I don't know if there will be a delay or how long.

EsLmQcErD

Jul 14, 2015
Thank you very much for your respone!

As you can imagine, we are a bit anxious about the possible outcome. Is there any reason for which the application of my wife is revoked, and she is not given PR?

Thank you again.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
They can't "revoke" her PR since she is not a PR yet. If they have asked for the RPRF fee, then it's a good sign. The only reasons someone can be denied PR is for lying(misrepresentation), criminality, security or health reasons. If none of these are a factor, there is no reason to fear.