+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marriage certificate

usukendo

Jul 8, 2017
I am applying for family sponsorship via my spouse of 4 years who is a canadian citizen. We had a religious ceremony and have an Islamic marriage certificate from the marriage which was performed in the US, but we never had a civil ceremony performed in the US. My spouse then joined me in Qatar where i was working at the time and the US Islamic marriage certificate was taken in front of a judge and deemed lawful and a certificate was given to register the marriage in Qatar.
We are now back in the US and I am applying for sponsorship via my spouse (we have lived together for all 4 years following marriage)
My question is if i send in both my US Islamic marriage certificate and the Qatar certificate stating i am married will this suffice? If not would it be appropriate to mark this down as a common-law relationship?
Any help much appreciated.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Hi there,

Of course it´s enough, why wouldn´t be ? Maybe with the first one from the US is enough. In any case, you have to have it translated if it´s not in English.

If you´re legally married, you´re not common-law.

Hope it´s clear and let us know if you need further help.

suban khan

Aug 2, 2017
Hi,

I am applying for applying for immigration. I got married in a Muslim ceremony in India. We have the translation of nikahnama from city Qazi and is attested by Ministry of External affairs. We have not got our marriage registered in Court in India.

Although both of us have spouse name endorsed in our passports and our kid has our name as parents.

Will these proofs be enough to prove the marriage or do we need to produce a registered mariage certificate?

Please advise

Thanks
Suban Khan

Roh4some

Jun 27, 2018
Hi,

I am applying for applying for immigration. I got married in a Muslim ceremony in India. We have the translation of nikahnama from city Qazi and is attested by Ministry of External affairs. We have not got our marriage registered in Court in India.

Although both of us have spouse name endorsed in our passports and our kid has our name as parents.

Will these proofs be enough to prove the marriage or do we need to produce a registered mariage certificate?

Please advise

Thanks
Suban Khan
Hi Suban,

I am in similar situation as you. Just want to check if anything worked out for you?

Thanks in advance
Rohan