+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate Requirements for OCI Card - Applying in Toronto

ojasdatt

Nov 4, 2021
Hi There: Both me & my wife are naturalized Canadian citizens who held Indian passport before. Only I am applying for a OCI.

We got married in Toronto and have a record of solemnization of Marriage only. Is that enough when I apply for my OCI card? The marriage certificate requirements below seem to be over the top. Any help would be appreciated :)

- If married in Canada / Outside of India: For those married in Canada, Marriage Certificate issued by the Ministry of the respective province to be further authenticated by the Provincial Government (for example- if married in Ontario- You may get it authenticated by Ministry of Services, Ontario: Link here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/authenticate-document-use-outside-canada#section-2 ) and then attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto. In case the Marriage Certificate is issued by other Foreign Governments, it should be authenticated by that concerned Diplomatic Mission in Canada then further attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi There: Both me & my wife are naturalized Canadian citizens who held Indian passport before. Only I am applying for a OCI.

We got married in Toronto and have a record of solemnization of Marriage only. Is that enough when I apply for my OCI card? The marriage certificate requirements below seem to be over the top. Any help would be appreciated :)

- If married in Canada / Outside of India: For those married in Canada, Marriage Certificate issued by the Ministry of the respective province to be further authenticated by the Provincial Government (for example- if married in Ontario- You may get it authenticated by Ministry of Services, Ontario: Link here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/authenticate-document-use-outside-canada#section-2 ) and then attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto. In case the Marriage Certificate is issued by other Foreign Governments, it should be authenticated by that concerned Diplomatic Mission in Canada then further attested by the Consulate General of India, Toronto.
I don't think that is enough. BLS is strict about the documentation for the marriage certificate. So, you'll first need to get your marriage certificate authorized by Ministry of services AND once again attested by the consulate before you can use that to generate your application online and submit it to BLS.

ojasdatt

Nov 4, 2021
Even though the wife is not applying for OCI card? And was an Indian citizen before? Seems overkill no?

I am skeptical as the verbiage says you “may” get it attested. It’s not a must.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Even though the wife is not applying for OCI card? And was an Indian citizen before? Seems overkill no?

I am skeptical as the verbiage says you “may” get it attested. It’s not a must.
Yes, even if the wife isn't applying AND even if you were an Indian citizen before. Certainly an overkill but I don't make the rules. MEA and CGI Toronto have set rules that way, unfortunately.

The "may" there isn't what you think it is. It is very common in India to say things like "You may please report to the police station for verification after which the passport will be dispatched". The "may" here doesn't mean you have an option. It means you must go to the police station to get the verification after which the passport will be dispatched.

You can contact BLS and/or CGI Toronto if you want confirmation. You can either email the consulate or DM them on Twitter.

I think there were several people in this situation. I'll let them provide their opinion as well.

Check with someone from the OCI thread =>

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/

Last edited:

alaapshah347

Oct 13, 2015
Hello team, i need some support with my situation to apply for my Wife's OCI.

I married in Singapore and we have Singaporean marriage certificate. do i need to have Indian Embassy attestation while applying for OCI ? if yes, what's the procedure ? i have google a lot but not getting anywhere with an accurate info.

could any one suggest ?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello team, i need some support with my situation to apply for my Wife's OCI.

I married in Singapore and we have Singaporean marriage certificate. do i need to have Indian Embassy attestation while applying for OCI ? if yes, what's the procedure ? i have google a lot but not getting anywhere with an accurate info.

could any one suggest ?
BLS checklist says the below. Check the embassy/consulate website for process-

(r) Marriage certificate
Please enclose a copy of Registered Marriage Certificate which has been attested by High Commission of India
or any other Indian Embassy / Consulate. The Marriage Certificate must indicate the date of marriage. There
should be two years gap between the date of marriage and date of OCI application.