+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage Certificate of Parents for Sponsorship

WE LOVE CANADA

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Immigration Gurus,

I have one question regarding " Marriage Certificate" of parents. Parents who got married in the 60s in India and whose marriage was not registered at that time, how can they submit "Marriage Certificate". Is there any other format? or some kind of Notary work involved? Please advise

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
If marriage was not registered, i dont think your parents are officially married. Sounds like they may be common-law instead.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You can make affidavit in India, not an issue as New Delhi knows it and accepts it. Alternatively copy of passport has parents name too but affidavit is pretty good, Any notary public can do it within 15 mins

Don't worry, it not common law ;D - lot of people don't know the system in India

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
user828 said:
You can make affidavit in India, not an issue as New Delhi knows it and accepts it. Alternatively copy of passport has parents name too but affidavit is pretty good, Any notary public can do it within 15 mins

Don't worry, it not common law ;D - lot of people don't know the system in India
If that's common practice in India, and CIC accepts it as well, then that's all that matters!

WE LOVE CANADA

Star Member
Jan 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks User828 for the comments. Will request parents to get the Affidavit. Appreciate your response.

I just have one doubt - New Delhi Canada Visa office knows the system in India and may accept the Affidavit but initial screening will be done by CPC-Mississauga when we send the initial application. Will they accept Affidavit? Sorry for being Doubting Thomas....

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
WE LOVE CANADA said:
Thanks User828 for the comments. Will request parents to get the Affidavit. Appreciate your response.

I just have one doubt - New Delhi Canada Visa office knows the system in India and may accept the Affidavit but initial screening will be done by CPC-Mississauga when we send the initial application. Will they accept Affidavit? Sorry for being Doubting Thomas....
Not only CPC-M but CPP-O also accepts it :D

If you could only read 1900 pages of Parents Forum, you will know ;)

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Hi Guys,
I am planning to apply for super visa/temporary visa for my parents. I am also planning to get an affidavit. We tried contacting registrar offices in our hometown. They are asking for photographs or wedding invitations , which my parents didn't have when they got married in 1960s.

Could any one please provide any template for marriage affidavit ?

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
canvi said:
Hi Guys,
I am planning to apply for super visa/temporary visa for my parents. I am also planning to get an affidavit. We tried contacting registrar offices in our hometown. They are asking for photographs or wedding invitations , which my parents didn't have when they got married in 1960s.

Could any one please provide any template for marriage affidavit ?
Most Notary Publics in India will have it. They do such things on a regular basis.

canvi

Feb 20, 2013
Thanks Rajaji.

Just wanted to know if anyone in this forum applied for parents temporary resident visa with an affidavit/notary of parents' marriage (without marriage certificate) and got the visa application approved? If so, did you apply online or paper? In which CIC office the application was processed?

Any help is much appreciated.

RajaJi

Jan 28, 2012
canvi said:
Thanks Rajaji.

Just wanted to know if anyone in this forum applied for parents temporary resident visa with an affidavit/notary of parents' marriage (without marriage certificate) and got the visa application approved? If so, did you apply online or paper? In which CIC office the application was processed?

Any help is much appreciated.
There are lot of applicants who have posted on this forum and had no problems getting approved with an affidavit of marriage. As mentioned earlier this will not be an issue.

You can apply online or paper. For TRV application it is recommended to apply in your country of citizenship before you leave or where you are a legal resident.

More information on Visit Visas is available on the page at link below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

rhukil

Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

I have a similar query and the discussion on this thread still remains unclear. My mum and dad lost their marriage certificate. They got married in the 80s'. What would be an alternative to meet the provision for Tourist/Visitors visa to Canada?