+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marriage before of after PR ??

VCL

Oct 5, 2011
Hello

I am new to the forum. I applied for a PR in April 2010. I sent the complete set of documents in Oct 2010. I got my AOR in Nov 2010.
I was told that I can expect the next stage in 8 months. Now the expected processing time line is 15 months. That means I have already completed 12 months since I sent my documents.

My dilema is my GF and her family are asking me to get married soon. Now I am in a fix whether to get married before I get my medicals/PR or later.
The problem here is I am not able to give a definite timeline as to when I shall get my visa.

I would appreciate if any seniors would guide as to the pro's and con's in getting married either before or after PR.
If I do get married now .. then I need to send an status update to NDVO and I am afraid they might prolong the visa further.

NOC - 0213
VO - NDVO
Current Ecas Status - Received by Visa Office
Any suggestions ?? Please guide.

zulkfal

Sep 28, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/10/2009
Doc's Request.
15/12/2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06/05/2010
IELTS Request
Submitted with Doc's
File Transfer...
22/12/2009
Med's Request
04/05/2011 (Dated: 24/04/2011)
Med's Done....
09/05/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08/07/2011
VISA ISSUED...
25/07/2011
LANDED..........
07-08-2011
If you add her to your application now and send all the documents asap then your timeline may not hurt much.
After PR you can marry after landing and then her application will be processed separately and may take 15-24 months.

VCL

Oct 5, 2011
Hi Zulkfal

Thanks for the information. But marriage will atleast take a month - what if the med request comes in between ?
And will her processing be affected if she does not qualify in the NOC categories ?? or will it depend only on my application and funds to provide for both of us ??

VCL

Oct 5, 2011
Also my consultant told me that - for a dependent spouse it would not take more than 6 months after we get our PR.
And she can visit on a tourist visa while the dependent visa is being processed. How accurate is that ??

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

VCL said:
Also my consultant told me that - for a dependent spouse it would not take more than 6 months after we get our PR.
And she can visit on a tourist visa while the dependent visa is being processed. How accurate is that ??
Not very, processing time varies from office to office, and if she is married to a PR it is unlikely that a TRV will be issued as her intention is to remain permanently.

VCL

Oct 5, 2011
Thanks for the reply !!
I am in a real mess here .... not able to make a clear cut decision :( :(

Any other suggestions out of this dilema ... or anyone experienced similar situation ??

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
VCL said:
Hello

I am new to the forum. I applied for a PR in April 2010. I sent the complete set of documents in Oct 2010. I got my AOR in Nov 2010.
I was told that I can expect the next stage in 8 months. Now the expected processing time line is 15 months. That means I have already completed 12 months since I sent my documents.

My dilema is my GF and her family are asking me to get married soon. Now I am in a fix whether to get married before I get my medicals/PR or later.
The problem here is I am not able to give a definite timeline as to when I shall get my visa.

I would appreciate if any seniors would guide as to the pro's and con's in getting married either before or after PR.
If I do get married now .. then I need to send an status update to NDVO and I am afraid they might prolong the visa further.

NOC - 0213
VO - NDVO
Current Ecas Status - Received by Visa Office
Any suggestions ?? Please guide.
You should get married at the earliest. If you get MR before sending marriage papers to VO your PR process would be delayed by max. 2-3 months. Even if one gets married after getting PR, one needs to inform VO before proceeding to Canada. And if you don't inform VO about your marriage, you will be guilty of misrepresentation. Alternative would be - complete your PR process and landing, and then return to your native country for marriage. It might take 6-12 months for your wife to join you in Canada after filing sponsorship application.