+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marked not employed in Canada, but need Letter of Employment?

bigideas

Sep 16, 2021
I received an ITA and I have put together all my documents except for one. The application asks for both a "Offer of Employment" letter and a "Letter of Employment". I have the Offer letter uploaded, but I can't figure out what I need for the "Letter of Employment".

For reference, the "Letter of Employment" is defined on the portal as:

An employment letter is an official document printed on company letterhead stating that you will be employed in Canada by that company for a specified period of time. The employment letter must include your name, the details of your employment in Canada, and the company's contact information.

It may also include:
  • details such as your tenure with the company
  • your title, position and duties
  • approved vacation periods (if travelling to Canada for holidays), or information about whether the company will cover all your travel expenses (if travelling on business for this company), etc
It says "will be employed in Canada". Do I need to get a letter from the employer that is separate from the Offer Letter in this case? Again, I am not currently employed there, and I will be in a few months.

I'm confused about why I need this letter. Employment does not appear to be a requirement for this application.

Some background information: I did not claim any current employment on the form and did not receive any points for it. I double checked the form and I don't see any question that I could have answered that says that I am currently employed there. I was previously employed in Canada in the last 5 years. I uploaded a separate letter testifying to that. Is it possible the system glitched thinking I need a letter of employment for my previous position? I did apply under the Canadian Experience Class.