+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

marital status in Express Entry profile if divorced but then common-law with ex-

cmzjsc

Jun 30, 2018
Could somebody please advise, I am really confused, which status to show in Express entry profile.
I was married to my husband, then we divorced. In several years after divorce we started to live together and gave birth to two children, but I never decided to re-marry him again, just wanted to try it all over again., and it was not successful, we separated around a year ago. He does not want to go to Canada and will not undergo medicine or criminal checks.

So my first guess was to show status DIVORCED

However, as an immigration officer will see my children in my application (birth certificates state my ex-husband as their father), it will become obvious, that we used to be common-law. Then what status should I show - separated (after common-law)?

Or should I put "divorced" and then attach LOE where I will write that we used to be common-law and had two children, and attach the same list of documents which is published for common law evidence, but, in reverse, in them I will show that we do not live together (such as my Sole property (not shared), my sole utility bills (not shared).

I am just so much afraid that my confusing marital status will lead in accusation of misrepresentation and would like to make it very clear for the officer. Please advise what the best way is.

Thank you!!!!!!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Could somebody please advise, I am really confused, which status to show in Express entry profile.
I was married to my husband, then we divorced. In several years after divorce we started to live together and gave birth to two children, but I never decided to re-marry him again, just wanted to try it all over again., and it was not successful, we separated around a year ago. He does not want to go to Canada and will not undergo medicine or criminal checks.

So my first guess was to show status DIVORCED

However, as an immigration officer will see my children in my application (birth certificates state my ex-husband as their father), it will become obvious, that we used to be common-law. Then what status should I show - separated (after common-law)?

Or should I put "divorced" and then attach LOE where I will write that we used to be common-law and had two children, and attach the same list of documents which is published for common law evidence, but, in reverse, in them I will show that we do not live together (such as my Sole property (not shared), my sole utility bills (not shared).

I am just so much afraid that my confusing marital status will lead in accusation of misrepresentation and would like to make it very clear for the officer. Please advise what the best way is.

Thank you!!!!!!!
You will need to state separated after having established common-law again. The problem is that the common-law status confers certain responsibilities in it's own right, one of which is to include your common-law partner in your application. This post-dates the divorce and the fact that it's the same partner is irrelevant. You will need to explain all of this in a LOE but your current status is what you are going to have to declare.

Reactions: Nadine rus

Nadine rus

Jun 8, 2018
You will need to state separated after having established common-law again. The problem is that the common-law status confers certain responsibilities in it's own right, one of which is to include your common-law partner in your application. This post-dates the divorce and the fact that it's the same partner is irrelevant. You will need to explain all of this in a LOE but your current status is what you are going to have to declare.
Thank you!