+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Marital status if separated

zbob

Jun 7, 2009
I am filling out the "Application for Permanent Residence" form. Question 10 says, "Have you previously been married?". I am now legally separated but will not be officially divorced until Jan 2010 due to state of Maryland regulations. How should I answer that question? Thanks for your help!

Bob

zbob

Jun 7, 2009
Separated is not an option on question 10. The question says "Have you been previously married?" Question 9 asked about marital status which I answered "Legally Separated" but question 10 is ambiguous and I am not sure what they want here. I could say I have not been previously married and list my "wife" on the second page as a "family member" but that seems misleading. I just not sure what do and I have heard an application can be delayed if questions about marital status are not clear. Thanks for any advice you may have.

juanda78

Star Member
Feb 17, 2009
Canada
Easy question.... Have you been previously married... your answer should be YES... Where is the confussion ; )
You have been previously married right?

Regards.

zbob

Jun 7, 2009
That question clearly refers to a spouse from a previous marriage. The confusion is whether or not they consider a "legal separation" as a previoius marriage or should I just fill it out as if I was still married. I am leaning towards filling it out as if the "legal separation" is basically a divorce, anyway by the time this application gets through I am sure the divorce will be official. Thanks for your advice.

mom2karl

Star Member
May 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009 April
Med's Request
2009 July
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
2009 November
LANDED..........
2010 March
zbob, in question 9 you will tick 'legally separated'.

in question 10, you will tick 'yes'. type of relationship 'marriage'. from (date) to (date). indicate the effectivity date of your legal separation.

i did the same except that mine was an annulled marriage. i already received my a.o.r.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
Hi
I am going to apply for quebec immigration and i am living separately from my wife as from last 4 months
so do i tick separate in the immigration form ?. Will there be any delay in my file processing ??

please help