+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Maintain PR while working in the US

Newzed

Apr 27, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have a question I'd like to get some inputs on. My situation is as follows: I am originally from Europe and have had Canadian PR for 3 years now and have been working and living in Canada for such amount of time. I have now a potential job offer in the US that would see me move there for a while. My question is: what are the implications of me moving to the US to work, when it comes to maintaining my Canadian residency? My PR card does not expire until end of 2026.

Thank you for your help

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,
I have a question I'd like to get some inputs on. My situation is as follows: I am originally from Europe and have had Canadian PR for 3 years now and have been working and living in Canada for such amount of time. I have now a potential job offer in the US that would see me move there for a while. My question is: what are the implications of me moving to the US to work, when it comes to maintaining my Canadian residency? My PR card does not expire until end of 2026.

Thank you for your help
With 3 years in Canada, you can apply for citizenship and not worryiing about maintaininng PR RO.

Newzed

Apr 27, 2017
With 3 years in Canada, you can apply for citizenship and not worryiing about maintaininng PR RO.
Hi, I've been keeping count of the actual days I've spent in Canada and I don't qualify yet for citizenship. (vacations outside of Canada and time spent back in Europe)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help
You need to live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to meet the residency obligation for keeping your PR status. So the answer to your question depends on how long you plan to live in the US and how many residency days you have so far.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help
Unless you are moving to a town that's just across the border and plan to travel frequently or if your US job can be done remotely inside Canada, I don't see a way to keep your RO and maintain your PR.

It dose NOT matter when your PR card expires. Have you already fullfill your RO 730 days since you landed. If so, and If you plan to work in US for a fairly short term (1 or 2 years), then maybe you can maintain your RO and return before you exceed number of days outside.