+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LOW CGPA_Is it possible to get admitted to a MS program with funding in Canadian universities?

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Best of luck. May want to check whether partial or full funding. Also depends on what degree. Schools have become less generous recently.

Reactions: Seraj516

CAQHelp

Jul 21, 2017
Here is my experience with both American and Canadian MS graduate opportunities: There are many, many more graduate options in America due to how over-saturated the system is. You will most likely find one school in America that will accept you, but it won't be a very good one. Most American colleges don't fully fund Masters students, even the really good ones. They usually find funding through agreements made via professors, internal awards given for outstanding academics, or outside scholarships. Getting those scholarships would not be easy though with a gpa below 3.0. On the flip side, a lot of schools in Canada, such as McGill and Queens, guarantee funding to MSc students in most programs. The only issue is the minimum gpa requirements are higher than 90% of American schools. 3.3 is the bear minimum you need for most good colleges outside the USA. Depending on your program too (I have no idea if this applies to engineering), you will have to reach out to professors and have them agree to fully or partially fund you, and then have the school decide if they'll accept you or not. If you're able to raise your gpa by retaking core classes, I'd highly recommend that. If you can't, find ways to work in your field for a year or so, because I can guarantee that scraping the bottom of the barrel in America would be the equivalent of throwing your money away. Sorry, but with your current gpa, it's going to be extremely difficult for you to get into a good school + get full funding.

Last edited:

Seraj516

Jul 25, 2017
Here is my experience with both American and Canadian MS graduate opportunities: There are many, many more graduate options in America due to how over-saturated the system is. You will most likely find one school in America that will accept you, but it won't be a very good one. Most American colleges don't fully fund Masters students, even the really good ones. They usually find funding through agreements made via professors, internal awards given for outstanding academics, or outside scholarships. Getting those scholarships would not be easy though with a gpa below 3.0. On the flip side, a lot of schools in Canada, such as McGill and Queens, guarantee funding to MSc students in most programs. The only issue is the minimum gpa requirements are higher than 90% of American schools. 3.3 is the bear minimum you need for most good colleges outside the USA. Depending on your program too (I have no idea if this applies to engineering), you will have to reach out to professors and have them agree to fully or partially fund you, and then have the school decide if they'll accept you or not. If you're able to raise your gpa by retaking core classes, I'd highly recommend that. If you can't, find ways to work in your field for a year or so, because I can guarantee that scraping the bottom of the barrel in America would be the equivalent of throwing your money away. Sorry, but with your current gpa, it's going to be extremely difficult for you to get into a good school + get full funding.
I thank you for taking time out to answer my question. ... If there is any other information you can provide to help expedite the decision making, please let me know.And yes I can not retake my courses now as I have already attended my convocation and got my final result.Do you know any Canadian university especially in Montreal, Quebec where I can get myself admitted with this low GPA?Is it possible to get admission in different courses rather than engineerings such as MBA or Information Technology or any creative courses with funding If I want to get admitted? Again ... Thank you so much for the help.

Last edited:
M

MayorGrom

Actually, my husband is in Canada now and within next year I will fly too.So should I take any course from my country or should I wait for to go there and get admission into Canadian universities for related courses which will help me to get admission in my Masters?
yes, he went in Canada by skilled migration.And I have already taken my convocation in BSc.Eng.So there is no chance for upgrading my GPA now :(.I am really frustrated about it.Please suggest me something good :(
I am confused... Why can't you go with your husband? My immigration knowledge is limited but in my understanding, if your husband leaves via Express Entry, you are eligible for the entry.

M

MayorGrom

I thank you for taking time out to answer my question. ... If there is any other information you can provide to help expedite the decision making, please let me know.And yes I can not retake my courses now as I have already attended my convocation and got my final result.Do you know any Canadian university especially in Montreal, Quebec where I can get myself admitted with this low GPA?Is it possible to get admission in different courses rather than engineerings such as MBA or Information Technology or any creative courses with funding If I want to get admitted? Again ... Thank you so much for the help.
That guy pretty much gave you all the information you need. I wrote a comparison post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/6nf3yk/grad_schools_in_the_us_vs_canada_my_experience/

One thing I would say is that I have never heard of funding for master's in the US. The only way you can do it is get admitted to PhD and then, dropout with the Masters after 2 years. This is very unethical thing to do and that can close many doors for you in the future.

You also got the advice for the 1 year certificate. Why don't you check it out?

Seraj516

Jul 25, 2017
I am confused... Why can't you go with your husband? My immigration knowledge is limited but in my understanding, if your husband leaves via Express Entry, you are eligible for the entry.
Here I am not worried about going to Canada or live in there.What I am talking about is to get admitted myself in a Masters program in Candian University :)

Seraj516

Jul 25, 2017
That guy pretty much gave you all the information you need. I wrote a comparison post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gradadmissions/comments/6nf3yk/grad_schools_in_the_us_vs_canada_my_experience/

One thing I would say is that I have never heard of funding for masters in the US. The only way you can do it is get admitted to PhD and then, a dropout with the Masters after 2 years. This is the very unethical thing to do and that can close many doors for you in the future.

You also got the advice for the 1-year certificate. Why don't you check it out?
Yes, I am also thinking about the 1-year PG certificate program and trying to find out those colleges.If you have any idea regarding this please feel free to share.And our link in Reddit is very helpful thanks a lot. :)

Last edited:

CAQHelp

Jul 21, 2017
I'm originally from the USA and plan on attending a school in Montreal, so I don't know too many schools in Canada besides the ones I've researched (McGill, UoT, Waterloo, Queens, and UBC). All of those, however, sadly have a minimum requirement of 3.3. The only other ones I noticed while visiting Montreal were the Universite de Montreal and Concordia. The first is French speaking, but the ladder is English. By doing a quick google search you can probably find out more about Concordia and other English Universities in the area.

I don't know anything about the 1 year PG certificate programs, but I'm sure doing a quick search on Google could help you immensely.

Seraj516

Jul 25, 2017
I'm originally from the USA and plan on attending a school in Montreal, so I don't know too many schools in Canada besides the ones I've researched (McGill, UoT, Waterloo, Queens, and UBC). All of those, however, sadly have a minimum requirement of 3.3. The only other ones I noticed while visiting Montreal were the Universite de Montreal and Concordia. The first is French speaking, but the ladder is English. By doing a quick google search you can probably find out more about Concordia and other English Universities in the area.

I don't know anything about the 1 year PG certificate programs, but I'm sure doing a quick search on Google could help you immensely.[/QUOTE

Great!I have completed a basic French course in my country.Actually, my own brother studied masters at Concordia University in Mechanical Engineering and he is a very bright student.Now he is working in Bombardier as an engineer.Is there any benefit for the siblings?

CAQHelp

Jul 21, 2017
If you want to attend the Universite de Montreal, you will definitely need to speak French fluently. If you're going to Concordia, it'll help when trying to treverse the subways and central downtown area. There is sometimes a section where you can say whether a family member attended the University or not, or who recommended you. I don't think there is too much benefit from listing a sibling though, unless your sibling is very well known at the school.

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017
Here I am not worried about going to Canada or live in there.What I am talking about is to get admitted myself in a Masters program in Candian University :)
BUT SORRY YOU CANT GET ADMITTED IN ANY CANADIAN UNIVERSITY WITH YOUR LOW CGP...APPLY FOR COLLEGE AND DO 1 YEAR POST GRADUATE CERTIFICATE

Cynthia93

Jul 18, 2016
Canada
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Accra VFS
App. Filed.......
16/09/2016
Doc's Request.
Submitted
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
13/01/2017
Med's Done....
18/01/2017
Interview........
Not needed
Passport Req..
Already Submitted
VISA ISSUED...
26/01/2017
LANDED..........
22/04/2017
Yes, I am also thinking about the 1-year PG certificate program and trying to find out those colleges.If you have any idea regarding this please feel free to share.And our link in Reddit is very helpful thanks a lot. :)
Check for Vanier College in Montreal, it is an English college