+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Low Budget & Reputed Universities based on my Profile .Tiger/Enfield Please help

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
Please suggest me any good universities which is Low Budget but but Reputed one

High school- 87 %
Intermediate - 82 %
B.Tech in Electronics with 74 %
IT Work Experience - 2+ year

Also let me know whether I should go for Univ or 2 year of PG Diploma as I am not interested in Research or Thesis further down the line and would like to enter the Job market and hence PR soon after pursuing my Education Successfully.

Please note that I can not afford very High Budget Universities so please suggest those Universities only which are reputed and at average cost

I will be opting for IT related course only whether I go for PG Diploma or Univ based on my Work Exp

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
university sounds good for ur profile.....again google is a good source of information....go to university websites and find courses that ur interested in.

tiger007

Champion Member
mayank_6 said:
Please suggest me any good universities which is Low Budget but but Reputed one

High school- 87 %
Intermediate - 82 %
B.Tech in Electronics with 74 %
IT Work Experience - 2+ year

Also let me know whether I should go for Univ or 2 year of PG Diploma as I am not interested in Research or Thesis further down the line and would like to enter the Job market and hence PR soon after pursuing my Education Successfully.

Please note that I can not afford very High Budget Universities so please suggest those Universities only which are reputed and at average cost

I will be opting for IT related course only whether I go for PG Diploma or Univ based on my Work Exp

Hi,

You 've got a good profile. Do not go for PG diploma/certificate courses. Aim for Master degree courses, in your area of study/ field of expertise i.e Electronics/IT/CS (thesis or course based). If you do not want to pursue a research based career, then you can opt for course based Master degrees.
Although most of top level universities tuition fees for international students are exorbitant, yet there are quiet a few good/above average/average universities offering their graduate programmes (Master's course based/ theses based/PHD), which by any means are better than pursuing regular PG diploma/certificate.

Some of the prominent recognized universities with low tuition fees/ cost of studies, especially for graduate level are:
Memorial University
University of Manitoba
University of Saskatchewan
University of New Brunswick
University of Regina
University of Prince Edward Island
St. Francis Xavier University, Nova Scotia
Acadia University, NS

Some of the above may have limited graduate level programmes available, and so it is best that you go through this list of recognized Universities/colleges, participating under PGWP. Check websites of individual universities..and compare tuition fees and costs for yourself !
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

Also, if you qualify, you may get scholarships/ funds/Graduate Teaching Assistantship in some of the upper level universities.

Best of Luck.

sources:
http://www.mun.ca/become/graduate/fees_funding/Graduate_Tuition.php
http://umanitoba.ca/student/records/fees/1031.html
http://students.usask.ca/current/paying/tuition.php
http://www.uregina.ca/gradstudies/prospstudent/tuitionfee.shtml
http://www.unb.ca/financialservices/students/Masters_and_PhD_Tuition_and_Fees/fred_grad_int_ft_course.html
http://www.unb.ca/financialservices/students/Masters_and_PhD_Tuition_and_Fees/sj_grad_int_ft_course.html
http://www.upei.ca/accounting/international-students-instant-pay-easy-way
http://sites.stfx.ca/mscs/graduate
http://www.stfx.ca/apply/fees#intlFees
http://gradstudies.acadiau.ca/compsci.html
http://gradstudies.acadiau.ca/fees.html#Int

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@ Tiger

Please let me know the disadvantages of applying to Colleges for 2 year PG Diploma

What I could find is there are hardly any IT related course for PG Diploma in various colleges and i will be pursuing only IT related course.

Also, I came to know that Visa Chances are high for universities and getting a skilled Job after Masters ( course based ) is better than 2 year of PG Diploma . Is it ???

My consultant here is saying that in Canada Community colleges and this PG Diploma are more famous than Universities - Masters and PG Diploma's let u enter in job market more quickly rather than masters which are pursued by those who wants to go for PhD futher down the line.

The only concern is Budget Constraints in my case as I can not spend much.

Please clarify !!!1

tiger007

Champion Member
mayank_6 said:
@ Tiger

Please let me know the disadvantages of applying to Colleges for 2 year PG Diploma

What I could find is there are hardly any IT related course for PG Diploma in various colleges and i will be pursuing only IT related course.

Also, I came to know that Visa Chances are high for universities and getting a skilled Job after Masters ( course based ) is better than 2 year of PG Diploma . Is it ???

My consultant here is saying that in Canada Community colleges and this PG Diploma are more famous than Universities - Masters and PG Diploma's let u enter in job market more quickly rather than masters which are pursued by those who wants to go for PhD futher down the line.

The only concern is Budget Constraints in my case as I can not spend much.

Please clarify !!!1
Hi,

Ask yourself.. what are the disadvantages of PG courses over Master degrees? Isn't it obvious? Then.. why are admission to Master degrees in recognized universities so tough as compared to 2 years PG diploma courses in colleges?The advantages of Master degrees(especially in a technical field like IT/CS/Electronics) are obviously better than any 2 years PG diploma/certificate in Canadian colleges due to the core reason of acceptance and recognition by employers and an obvious indicator of a quality higher education in Canada/worldwide. North American Master Degrees (especially in technical fields, and from good recognized universities.. not to mention ivy league American or top Canadian universities) are accepted and respected worldwide. I cannot say the same about your regular PG diploma courses form Canadian colleges. Same applies for when you compare a good university MBA and a PG certificate/diploma in Business courses of Canadian colleges. The difference is obvious! Another problem is..not only you will find fewer PG diploma courses in IT/CS in Canadian colleges, but majority of these PG level courses in Canadian colleges are often run with keeping international students in mind, who are either too over qualified to study practical diploma /trade college programmes or are too under qualified to get admission to Master degree courses in Universities or simply cannot afford to go through another 4 years for a Bachelor's degree. So, for a person like you.. since you have a good academic record, depending upon the core fields of your software experience, quality of experience, and if you can clear IELTS with good marks, MAY be if asked clear GRE with a good score, your chances of getting admission to a Master degree in CS... in any of the good universities are high... and in my opinion it will be a waste of your time, money and energy to pursue a not so valuable pg diploma course when you have a good chance of getting admission to a master degree course.

And if cost is your concern, mind you that often these 2years PG diploma courses come expensive for international students..an many a times the case is... that instead of focusing on quality, the student is paying an exorbitant amount just to be eligible for a 3 years PGWP. Rather, if you can get admission to good cheaper universities like say Univ of Regina or Univ of Manitoba etc., your costs will not only be low, but also you get a chance to qualify for scholarships, grants etc., meet top level Canadian students, industry heads (where sometimes these 2 year PG courses are filled only with desis/foreign students only (no offence) and you get no opportunities to make contacts or build your professional network) and further advance your career. It will be a worthwhile investment. And this is also obvious, that if you get admission to a master's degree course (especially technical and professional) in a good university, the chances of your visa are definitely higher as compared to a 2 years PG certificate, keeping in account you have strong financial sufficiency to show and the are of study matches your previous work/degree/experience(required in most cases).

In my opinion, if one is unqualified to do a Canadian Master degree(especially technical or professional)... rather than doing a PG certificate/diploma. (and take a big risk of not finding a skilled employment.. unless your aim is to only get PR by working in any job in Sask. and pray it doesn't shut down) it's better to restart with a lower level college diploma/ practical diploma/ trade diploma/ trade certificate which are actually respected and are in demand by Canadian employers... which will be a stepping stone for finding and rebooting one's career in Canada, where often foreign degrees (unless accompanied by higher reputed University level degrees/ bridging courses/or many years of to notch work ex/direct employment offer) are useless. Of course, there are always exceptions, where people do find good jobs after these PG certificate/diploma courses from Canadian colleges and it depends on the individual and other prevailing circumstances at that time.

So, when your consultant (who will most probably get a hefty commission for joining that PG diploma, which is often made for international students) 'll say to you that chances are equal in job market with a PG diploma and Masters(especially in technical/professional field) (which is by the way totally Bull*censored word*) or Master's are only for those who want to pursue PHD (where your consultant is failing to mention course based Master degrees).. you should ask what is their motive and what they are trying to do before either learning the facts or ignoring it (for their commission' of course) and opening their big mouths to give you and other candidates more such piece of advice which can potentially break and destroy your career and future!

Now saying these, It's also not guaranteed that you will get success with an university degree or fail with a college PG degree, as ultimately it depends on the individual skills and his perseverance and also the luck factor plays a role.

Example of cost:
2 years PG IT & Web design in Lambton college, Sarnia: 6,500$*4= 26,000$ (tuition fees)+13,600$ (for 4 sem living expenses) + miscellaneous fees
(http://www.lambton.on.ca/Programs/FT_Program_page.aspx?id=8433&type=TF)

2 years Masters in univ. of Regina : 6,763.65$*2= 13,527$ (tuition fees) + 13,600$ (living expenses)+ miscellaneous fees
(http://www.uregina.ca/gradstudies/prospstudent/tuitionfee.shtml)

Now, this clearly breaks the myth, that PG diploma/certificate courses are cheaper.... and Universities cannot be affordable!

Hope it makes a good clarification for you!

Best of Luck.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
@ TIGER

Thanx Buddy for the detailed info.

It made the things clarified for sure.

The only Concern is I am not having sufficient Bandwidth to prepare for GRE so I would be able to give only IELTS Exam

AND

Is it mandatory that I should have B.Tech in Computers or IT only if i want to pursue Masters in Computer related field as I have pursued Graduation in Electronics but Work Exp of 2+ year in IT sector. Please clarify as it is not clear from the Admission Requirement section of the Univ Website . They just mention the word "Relevant Background "

tiger007

Champion Member
mayank_6 said:
@ TIGER

Thanx Buddy for the detailed info.

It made the things clarified for sure.

The only Concern is I am not having sufficient Bandwidth to prepare for GRE so I would be able to give only IELTS Exam

AND

Is it mandatory that I should have B.Tech in Computers or IT only if i want to pursue Masters in Computer related field as I have pursued Graduation in Electronics but Work Exp of 2+ year in IT sector. Please clarify as it is not clear from the Admission Requirement section of the Univ Website . They just mention the word "Relevant Background "

Hi,

1. GRE is NOT compulsory. Read my above post, notice I've mentioned that Universities MAY require GRE score. It will depend on University and your individual profile. Try your best to score high in IELTS(aim for atleast 7.0)

2. No its not mandatory. You are an engineer, and you known, that IT jobs can be done by engineers of virtually any branch. What matters is your programming/coding skills, and along with your work experience, quality and level of work ex, your academic record and overall profile... your admission will be determined by the universities for a particular programme. So given your work ex, and electronics field, I think..you are very well eligible for pursuing Masters in CS/IT or even electronics maybe.. all depends on the interest and programme & university requirements. So, basically depends on university to university and unless you contact them individually, you will never know what exactly the "Relevant Background" they are looking for! Hence, you will have to go through websites of all individual universities, compare tuition fees, sort out as per your interest in programme, province or specialization, other requiremnts.... and contact individual programme heads/departments of those universities, presenting them with your profile and interest to do a particular programme, and then on their directions take further step and start your application process. You got to do this hard work... (once you select an University, you can follow the instructions and apply on your own or you MAY ask your consultant to help you with the paper work) and once you secure an admission to a University Master programme of your choice, then you can always go back to your trusted consultant and ask them to assist ONLY in the visa filing work.

Best of Luck.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
Tiger

I would like to know one more thing that if i opt course bAsed masters -M.Engg and not research based i.e. M.Asc then do i really require some professor for his guidance to get myself enrolled ...

I think it is required if I am apying for research or thesis based masters and then I have to convinceany professor there to supervise and guide ... Please let me know

tiger007

Champion Member
mayank_6 said:
Tiger

I would like to know one more thing that if i opt course bAsed masters -M.Engg and not research based i.e. M.Asc then do i really require some professor for his guidance to get myself enrolled ...

I think it is required if I am apying for research or thesis based masters and then I have to convinceany professor there to supervise and guide ... Please let me know
Hi,

It is not necessary to contact any faculty members in case of course based Master degrees. In case of Research based degrees, it is HIGHLY ADVISABLE to contact faculty members, presenting them with your background and area of interest for research, so as to introduce yourself and try to find an appropriate guide among the faculty members, whose research interests aligns with yours.

Best of Luck.

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
tiger007 said:
Hi,

It is not necessary to contact any faculty members in case of course based Master degrees. In case of Research based degrees, it is HIGHLY ADVISABLE to contact faculty members, presenting them with your background and area of interest for research, so as to introduce yourself and try to find an appropriate guide among the faculty members, whose research interests aligns with yours.

Best of Luck.
I want to know one thing dear. U or R has clearly mentioned the last date for submitting application form for Jan'2-13 term was 31st July. Do they still consider my application if i send them now?

Many thanks in adv
Kavya

tiger007

Champion Member
kavya said:
I want to know one thing dear. U or R has clearly mentioned the last date for submitting application form for Jan'2-13 term was 31st July. Do they still consider my application if i send them now?

Many thanks in adv
Kavya
Hi,

Only way to know for sure about this, is to directly contact the admissions office of U of R. You will get the email or phone number form the Univ. website.

Best of Luck.

mayank_6

May 24, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
19-04-2017
Tiger

i just came to know that some M.Asc are also taught/course based like M.Engg which u suggested.

I could nt able to figure out the diff between the two qualifications now and in the indiv Univ websites , it is mentioned that whether the particular program is M.Engg or M.Asc.. Thats it.

How to shortlist the courses coz I already told u that I would like to enter in the job market soon after. COmpleting my education and nt intrested in very technical or research field.

My domain in IT job is quality assurance/testing in SAP... So if u can also suggest some univ offering courses in SAP functional (not technical programing) . My profile is not technical i.e. writing codes/programing etc but inclined towards functional side... So please suggest some sample cOurses ... Just the laYout /outline of which IT courses would be apt for me... What i observed is M.Engg in computers only in most of the univ .

kavya

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
ND VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10//06/2010
Doc's Request.
30/10/2010
AOR Received.
15/01/2011
mayank_6 said:
Tiger

i just came to know that some M.Asc are also taught/course based like M.Engg which u suggested.

I could nt able to figure out the diff between the two qualifications now and in the indiv Univ websites , it is mentioned that whether the particular program is M.Engg or M.Asc.. Thats it.

How to shortlist the courses coz I already told u that I would like to enter in the job market soon after. COmpleting my education and nt intrested in very technical or research field.

My domain in IT job is quality assurance/testing in SAP... So if u can also suggest some univ offering courses in SAP functional (not technical programing) . My profile is not technical i.e. writing codes/programing etc but inclined towards functional side... So please suggest some sample cOurses ... Just the laYout /outline of which IT courses would be apt for me... What i observed is M.Engg in computers only in most of the univ .
I can share two to three points which differentiate them two;

a) I guess MEng is mainly project based course where the % of classroom teaching is less than Msc

b) If you intended to pursue Phd after masters, then suggested course is Msc.

c) If you mean to get into field straight from masters, MEng can be the solution

d) some of universities they ask for supervisor for Msc thesis based courses.

I think thats all I can say

God Bless,
Kavya