+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost Passport before Visa Stamping- Study Permit

Aug 13, 2024
Hi everyone, I am from New Delhi, India and I recently received my PPR letter but lost my passport before I could submit it to IRCC for stamping. I immediately applied for a re-issue, and am expected to receive my new passport by the end of this week. I also submitted a webform to IRCC explaining my situation (as per the advice of my VAC office) and plan to submit another one with details of my new passport as soon as I receive it. I was also told that since every passport contains a reference number for the previous passport, IRCC should stamp it and I'm unlikely to receive a refusal (hopefully).

The problem is, I'm supposed to leave for university by August 27th and I will be in serious trouble if I can't get there by September 1st at the latest. I'm worried that due to my passport being different from the one I submitted on the visa application, the processing time of stamping it will get delayed beyond the normal time and I will be left with no choice but to defer to next year. For reference, if I receive my passport by the end of this week I'm hoping to submit it in person before August 20th.

If anyone has had a similar experience or any available insight related to my situation, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it as I am extremely stressed out at the moment.

Aug 13, 2024
My classes start September 3rd. Half of my classes belong to a package of pre-selected courses for the entire year, so if I'm unable to be present for them since day 1 I'll have to drop out of that course completely and register for some other classes instead which would be extremely unideal because most classes are already full.